HRM Issues (Garmin FR60)

Options
I just started wearing my HRM to more accurately count my calories burned. It read that I burned 413 calories during my 3.5 mile Run today.... and then that I only burned 29 calories during my Ripped in 30 workout.

Am I doing something wrong? I wore in in "running" mode, and it did read that I only "ran" .3 miles... but I've tried wearing it in "General" mode and it didn't record calories burned at all.

Replies

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If it's anything like my Forerunner 305 it probably doesn't calculate calories based on your actual heart rate, I think it's only by your weight, age, and speed. I know, I don't get why either. But there are some websites that you can enter your average heart rate and it will estimate your calories burned.

Maybe there's a setting you can change, but I haven't figured out how to do it on mine yet.
  • alb_photog
    alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Does your 305 use GPS or a foot pod that measures cadence? I'm just now reading in the Garmin forums that Garmin uses an algorithm that measures cadence, speed, and weight for calories, and not the actual HR. Which bums me out, b/c I'm sweating like a pig during my WO video, even though I'm not actually jogging anywhere.
  • Paigealicious77
    Paigealicious77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin fr60 and when I work out with Jillian I use the general setting and it always records calories burned you may just not be seeing it. May have to change a setting after you have downloaded info. I also have a foot pod that I use to measure distance while walking/running. After you have worked out you can reset the workout and then go to history - activities and then click your latest workout and it will tell you how many calories guy burned on the watch without uploading to the pc.
  • Paigealicious77
    Paigealicious77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin fr60 and when I work out with Jillian I use the general setting and it always records calories burned. You may just not be seeing it. May have to change a setting after you have downloaded info. I also have a foot pod that I use to measure distance while walking/running. After you have worked out you can reset the workout and then go to history - activities and then click your latest workout and it will tell you how many calories you burned on the watch without uploading to the pc.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Does your 305 use GPS or a foot pod that measures cadence? I'm just now reading in the Garmin forums that Garmin uses an algorithm that measures cadence, speed, and weight for calories, and not the actual HR. Which bums me out, b/c I'm sweating like a pig during my WO video, even though I'm not actually jogging anywhere.

I only use the GPS, I'm not sure if there's a foot pod you can get for it or not, or if it works any better. I've actually never looked at it to see how many calories it said I burned doing Insanity, but I'm curious now.
  • alb_photog
    Options
    I have the garmin fr60 and when I work out with Jillian I use the general setting and it always records calories burned you may just not be seeing it. May have to change a setting after you have downloaded info. I also have a foot pod that I use to measure distance while walking/running. After you have worked out you can reset the workout and then go to history - activities and then click your latest workout and it will tell you how many calories guy burned on the watch without uploading to the pc.

Thanks, I'll have to give this a try.

Once I'm done working out, I generally upload the workout, and see the C's burned on the computer.
  • alb_photog
    Options

I only use the GPS, I'm not sure if there's a foot pod you can get for it or not, or if it works any better. I've actually never looked at it to see how many calories it said I burned doing Insanity, but I'm curious now.

GPS is much more accurate. You have to calibrate the stupid foot pod for accuracy a couple times a season. :/
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    my footpod was accurate out of the box...and yes you have to set up your 'pages' to show calories, msg me if you need more help with it