When to Deadlift?

My split includes:
Monday Biceps
Tuesday Legs
Wednesday Chest
Thursday Back and core
Saturday Shoulders and triceps
My question is when I should fit deadlifting into my routine to be able to avoid hindering any of my other muscles from fully recovering. Thinking first thing on back day but still not sure need some help.

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    I would include them on Thursdays for your split.
  • BrendanLacey
    BrendanLacey Posts: 10 Member
    jmule24 wrote: »
    I would include them on Thursdays for your split.
    Was thinking the same. Thanks
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    My split includes:
    Monday Biceps
    Tuesday Legs
    Wednesday Chest
    Thursday Back and core
    Saturday Shoulders and triceps
    My question is when I should fit deadlifting into my routine to be able to avoid hindering any of my other muscles from fully recovering. Thinking first thing on back day but still not sure need some help.

I don't know that there's truly a wrong or right answer to your question. Without knowing anything about your training and really changing anything, I would say Back & Core day would be most appropriate. The Deadlift is excellent and training your posterior Core muscles, so once you put that in keep that extra posterior Core work to a minimum if any. Anterior Core work should still be included but again, not a lot. Also, I would put Biceps after this training session. If you do any work that would affect your grip it will affect your deadlifting. Just my opinion on your question.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    agree, why do you need a whole workout for biceps. I don't even bother training them, they get plenty of work deadlifting and rowing. If you really want to do them, make sure you get your big lifts in first, DL's, rows, chins or what ever you are doing.

Lose the bicep day, move your legs to Monday and DL Thursday. Do them as your first exercise, you are going to need all your energy
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    mike_bold wrote: »
    agree, why do you need a whole workout for biceps. I don't even bother training them, they get plenty of work deadlifting and rowing. If you really want to do them, make sure you get your big lifts in first, DL's, rows, chins or what ever you are doing.

Lose the bicep day, move your legs to Monday and DL Thursday. Do them as your first exercise, you are going to need all your energy

Agree with this. But then, I hate training biceps and roll my eyes through my couple sets a week.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    not knowing your goals... its hard to say Deadlift works whole body I would do them 2x a week Leg day and one other

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member

Agreed, I wouldn't do a bicep only day either, mine get enough from chin ups and rows - but then I don't know what the OPs precise goals are - to get big particularly big I guess!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Most probably on core training day. Unless you do at least some basic warm up for abs and back up on another day before deadlifts.
    And like everyone else is wondering, how can you spend a day on biceps? And why?
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member

Really? I prefer them at the end when I can just put everything I've got left into them and not have to worry about leaving anything in the tank for the rest of my lifts that day.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    For me it's Monday and Thursday. One heavy day, one volume day.

But as so many others have said, it's hard to say without knowing your goals, but you've gotten some good advice here.

My thoughts and questions:

What is your lifting experience and time lifting?
    Is this a program that you developed yourself or something that was provided that you are following?
    What are your overall goals? Strength, aesthetics, mass?
    What is your nutrition like? Are you here to lose fat, or just track calories and macros?

I find that looking at these things, as well as the science behind how they interacts with one another will help determine some more concrete goals, which, in turn, will help determine a more appropriate program to accomplish said goals.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    @mike_bold speaks sense. You really don't want to be doing deadlifts at the end of a session when some of your muscles are already fatigued. Any big compound lift should be at the beginning of your session as they are potentially pretty dangerous to do when you're tired, if you're lifting a weight that challenges you.

Who devised your program?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    McCloud33 wrote: »

Really? I prefer them at the end when I can just put everything I've got left into them and not have to worry about leaving anything in the tank for the rest of my lifts that day.

I always put my main lift for the day at the beginning. Everything after that is assistance. Obviously that doesn't work well with a full body program but for most other splits it does.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member

This actually isn't a crazy idea by any means. John Meadows introduced something similar where-in he would do his isolation exercises first and compound lifts last. Because he was in a fatigued state it reduced the intensity he used and really focused on form and getting the most out of every rep. It is probably not ideal if you're really strength-oriented and want to improve your DL numbers; but it's not crazy or bad by any means.
  • alexjvolk
    alexjvolk Posts: 22 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

This actually isn't a crazy idea by any means. John Meadows introduced something similar where-in he would do his isolation exercises first and compound lifts last. Because he was in a fatigued state it reduced the intensity he used and really focused on form and getting the most out of every rep. It is probably not ideal if you're really strength-oriented and want to improve your DL numbers; but it's not crazy or bad by any means.

So long as you can maintain your form. Most begin to sag in their posterior chain when they get tired. John Meadows is a sponsored athlete who won't let his form break when he gets tired. Figured that is worth noting.