Is it better to do cardio to lose fat before strength training?

Options
What I'm asking is should I be doing cardio and strength training at the same time? Or would it more beneficial to focus on cardio to lose weight and then focus on strength training and gaining muscle afterwards?

Replies

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm not a man but I think either way works. It's good to do a little bit of both.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would do them both throughout the weight loss process.

Strength training will help you retain muscle and will help with your physique.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I've heard firstly that it's best to do them on separate days, or during separate sessions....and that if you're going to do them at the same session, to do strength first, then cardio..xo
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Both, together, at the same time, well, in the scheme of your workouts, yes!
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Rags_91 wrote: »
    What I'm asking is should I be doing cardio and strength training at the same time? Or would it more beneficial to focus on cardio to lose weight and then focus on strength training and gaining muscle afterwards?

It depends on what your goals are, what your stats are, your experience with weightlifting, what program you are on. The question is too undefined for anyone to be able to give a real answer.

That being said cardio does not cause weight loss, neither does lifting. Weight loss is all diet. You get heather, stronger, and to eat a little more from exercise but not lose weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Both, but be prepared for the scale to move slower with strength training as part of your regimen, and that's not a bad thing.

When we eat in a deficit we lose water, fat, and muscle. Strength training as part of your remimine helps to combat that muscle loss, so your losses are mostly water and fat. This may cause the scale to move slower, but if you keep measurements you'll see the progress as you're losing mostly fat and lowering your BF%.
  • alexjvolk
    alexjvolk Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Cardio before or after weight training is fine, but you will feel weak (at least I do) for whichever comes second. If you are mostly concerned about weight loss this shouldn't be a big deal. You can also split cardio and weights into separate days of the week. Honestly, cardio and weights really won't help you lose "that" much weight on their own. Diet is 80% of weight loss; training is 20%. So if you have a high quality diet you will lose weight without exercise. Though I would still advise clean eating and hard training.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Yes, do both. What is your current program or what do you plan on doing? I'd focus more on lifting and then do short, intense cardio sessions either after lifting or on alternate days depending on how often you want to workout.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Fat loss happens with a calorie deficit whether or not you exercise. One of the biggest myths in the fitness industry is that cardio is NEEDED for fat loss. Cardio and lifting are for fitness and health. They can HELP with creating a calorie deficit, but if one ate as much as they burned regardless of how much exercise they did, no weight loss would occur.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Rags_91
    Rags_91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I should have been more specific. I'm on a calorie deficit, roughy 1700 per day but I have started to train for a 5km run for next summer 3 days a week. Doing the C25K. I'm just wondering if I should be doing more and including strength training to maximize weight loss and becoming more fit.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Rags_91 wrote: »
    I should have been more specific. I'm on a calorie deficit, roughy 1700 per day but I have started to train for a 5km run for next summer 3 days a week. Doing the C25K. I'm just wondering if I should be doing more and including strength training to maximize weight loss and becoming more fit.

Training to complete or do you want to crush some dreams?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would do them both throughout the weight loss process.

Strength training will help you retain muscle and will help with your physique.

This^

Do both!

You maximize weight loss "results" with strength training. It doesn't help move the number on the scale so much, as it helps lower body fat percentage.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I feel that strength training should be integral, if not the key focus when losing weight, so that as much muscle mass is preserved in the process.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No always do strength first, while glycogen stores are high.
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do both, I start with light cardio to get a sweat and warm up, then weight lift, and then cardio after my lifting session

Like several people stated above, weights will help shed BF%. It also helps with weight lose because the soreness caused by lifting weights is from the muscles being microscopically torn. It takes calories for your body to heal those tears so you actually keep burning calories after your weight lifting session is done. And weight lifting results in muscle gain which in turn increase your metabolism (basically, the more lean muscle you have, the more calories you will burn while at rest).

As for the cardio, the warm up cardio is just a preference of mine, some people just prefer a good stretch, but cardio after lifting is important because it helps get blood to the muscles and will help with recovery and of course overall fitness
  • danielssmith
    danielssmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been doing cardio for the last 6 month and it's helped me drop weight. I have now just started adding weights, albeit not heavy, a few times a week. I also do cardio on a weights day but far shorter session.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've worked out with a trainer they would incorporate both. Typically using lighter weights with less reps will build less bulky muscles but make you toned. Also doing push-ups and planks; any type of body weight resistance exercises, will help you reach your weight loss goals when integrated with a cardio work out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    Typically using lighter weights with less reps will build less bulky muscles but make you toned.
    One doesn't build "bulky" muscles nor bulks up on a calorie deficit, and light weights don't make you "toned". Muscles get firmer from resistance that challenges it. If all it took was to use light weights, walking with body weight alone would be enough to firm up the quads, but unfortunately that's not true.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I do both and recommend both. I used to do them on separate days but now I do cardio after strength because I found I needed my rest days.

Diet for fat loss, strength for muscle retention, cardio for fitness.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    Whenever I've worked out with a trainer they would incorporate both. Typically using lighter weights with less reps will build less bulky muscles but make you toned. Also doing push-ups and planks; any type of body weight resistance exercises, will help you reach your weight loss goals when integrated with a cardio work out.

OP, this is not true, especially if you're in a deficit.

Building bulky muscles comes from an on point diet, in a surplus, and hours of dedication and work in the weight room on a progressive overload program.