Are Quest Bars good for you?

Options
Pup12
Pup12 Posts: 7 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am trying to loose weight and gain muscle. I have been eating one Quest bar a day to get my protein in along with other foods. I am using it as a lunch replacement. Are they good for you or is it just better to eat actual food with protein in it instead? Please let me know. I have heard both sides and am trying to make a decision so I am looking for advice. Thanks.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it satisfies you and you're still able to meet your goals each day, keep eating them. I like them, others don't.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes much difference in the short term. If you compare the micronutrients in say some veggie-packed salad or casserole with the same macro profile and calories as a Quest bar, the former would probably be 'healthier'. But if it's a Quest bar or a cheeseburger with the same protein amount, a Quest bar is 'healthier', by most definitions.

The issue I see with relying heavily on bars is they're expensive and not as easy to change up as 'real food' when you get tired of them. When you decide to quit supporting Quest and/or having bars for lunch, is it back to Big Macs, or on to protein rich 'real food' with healthier qualities?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    They're neither inherently good for you or inherently bad for you. Like all food, they have their good points, and their bad points.

They're an easy way to get an extra boost of protein, if you have trouble otherwise meeting your minimum.

Some people find them tasty and a reasonable substitute for other sweet treats. Others hate the flavor and/or texture

You need to consider them in the context of your overall daily diet. Do they fit into your allotted calories goals and fit your macro needs? Do they keep you satisfied for a reasonable period of time?
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Quest bars and other good protein quality bars can be part of an overall nutrition plan. They are high in protein and very high in fiber and low in sugar so they're filling and are not empty calories. I travel a lot so I always carry a few protein bars along with me so I don't have to resort to fast food, a vending machine or other sources that will get me in trouble when my options are limited. So I don't think as them as a cornerstone of my nutrition plan but more as a healthy replacement to other less wise choices when you need something on the road or quick and easy.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like Pure Protein bars a lot better --- and they're cheaper, especially if purchased in bulk at Costco or Sam's Club.

I think their flavors are a lot better.. and honestly, I feel like I'm eating a Snickers bar, which mentally does a lot for me.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love the pumpkin...as you can see. I don't usually look at fat or worry about it but was a little disappointed when someone told me there is 5grams of saturated fat in them
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    "Good" and "healthy" are subjective and dependent upon your individual needs. Quest bars are high in protein, decently high in fiber, and are relatively low in sodium (compared to many other foods high in protein, particularly red meat). If that fits well into your plan, then it is good for you. If it does not fit well into your plan, then it isn't.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    they are a good choice vs. competition for protein bars, though I find it sketchy that they don't list at least 2% DV per gram of protein in the bars (sign that the protein is "good").

It's not a requirement to list that, and it is 2% DV/gram on a "complete" protein.

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Quest bars range anywhere from 160-220 calories a bar. Unless you're having more than 1 bar to replace your lunch, sounds like you aren't getting enough calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Quest bars range anywhere from 160-220 calories a bar. Unless you're having more than 1 bar to replace your lunch, sounds like you aren't getting enough calories.

How do you figure? I presume the OP is eating more than just one meal per day.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Anything, (as I've been reminded), is alright in moderation.
    Enjoy them!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

How do you figure? I presume the OP is eating more than just one meal per day.

OP said he/she is using it as a lunch replacement, so unless OP is saving their calories for a massive dinner or breakfast then one bar doesn't have a whole lot of calories to be a meal. Quest bars have never been advertised as meal replacement bars. I'm presuming OP is eating more than one "meal" a day too.
  • Pup12
    Pup12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I decided to not eat them anymore.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's a candy bar with protein powder. You make the call.
  • jess_howes
    jess_howes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars aren't incredibly bad for you but I wouldn't suggest having it as a meal replacement at lunch. You're much better opting for a high protein meal like an omelette or something. And then just have quest bars on several occasions. I only have quest bars after a leg day as you need to carb up.