Graduation present re-gifting

iAMaPhoenix
iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
edited September 28 in Chit-Chat
So, I was wondering what to get my neighbors son who graduated this year. I did not recall if they bought my son anything when he graduated last year, not to mention the fact that they did not go to see him graduate, but I thought $100 would be good. My wife went through my son's gift from last year, and suprisingly found the envelope that they gave him last year. No card, just a 2"X3" manila envelope with $20 inside. Well, you know what happened right? I simply took the 20 and put it in a card(cost $3.49), and gave back to him.

Does not matter now cause the deed is done, but just curious as to who would have done the same thing???

Replies

• aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Sounds good to me!!!
  • $20 is a lot of money for a neighbor or from a neighbor. I give my neighbor a wave when I get into my car, and if he had a son graduating, I probably wouldn't even know. lol
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    I'm with Angela. I'm just impresed he still had the $20!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Lol, I would have done the same thing.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    $20 is a lot of money for a neighbor or from a neighbor. I give my neighbor a wave when I get into my car, and if he had a son graduating, I probably wouldn't even know. lol

Us too, we just smile and wave. I think we've exchanged maybe 5 sentences in the 2 years we've lived there.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    $20 is a lot of money for a neighbor or from a neighbor. I give my neighbor a wave when I get into my car, and if he had a son graduating, I probably wouldn't even know. lol

this is me as well
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    I would have done the same thing.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    I think that sounds fine to me, haha. Though I'm not a good judge...

We got a card in the mail recently for one of my cousins who just graduated from high school. Distant, distant cousin whom I haven't seen since she was a tiny girl. Don't speak much at all to her mom even. No ill-will or anything like, we just don't really communicate. I'm not sure why we even got the card, to be honest.

We didn't send anything because I'm pretty clueless about this kinda crap.

What exactly is the protocol for this sorta situation?
  • Behavioral
    Behavioral Posts: 60
    YEP!!!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    If not gifting from the heart why bother giving the kid anything? Seems like the graduate is the target of score keeping and i bet he could care less or has no idea you are keeping score. Did your neighbors have a special bond with your son? Twenty dollars in my neighborhood is a lot of money. I would be asking what kind of relationship you have with the graduate. What did you son think about you giving his $20 to the neighbor?

I would never let what my son received influence my gift giving.
  • HOPEful27
    HOPEful27 Posts: 56
    I give gifts based off of what I want people to have not what they have given me in the past. I have siblings that occasionally do not give my children birthday or Christmas presents. That would never stop me from giving the gifts I want to give to my nieces and nephews. I am sure your gift to the graduate would be appreciated by him, even if it is the same $20 his parents gave your son last year. I say if you were planning on going to see the graduation, then by all means go. Don't let the fact that his parents didn't attend your son's get in the way of celebrating his success.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    I'm with Angela. I'm just impresed he still had the $20!

When he came home for Christmas from college, he finally opened up his card from his Godparents and there was $200 in it...smh.
This discussion has been closed.