Tofu recipes!

Options
I am looking for some easy to make tofu recipes. Right now I've mastered grilling steaks and cubing and baking/sautéing. I don't use any oil or butter, just water.

I'm looking to expand my horizons and find some delicious recipes. If you have any to share, please do!

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Teriyaki Tofu

1 package (12 ounces) light firm tofu, draned and cut into 1"cubes
    2 whole green onions , finely chopped
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon minced ginger
    1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon hot sesame oil
    1 cup chopped broccoli
    2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste

Place a nonstick wok or skillet over high heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it . Briefly remove the pan from the heat to lightly mist with olive oil spray. Heat for 3 seconds. Add the tofu, green onions, garlic, ginger, olive oil, and sesame oil. Cook , stirring often for 3 minutes. Add the broccoli. Cook stirring frequently for about 12 minutes or until the tofu is browned on all sides. Stir in the teriyaki sauce. Season with pepper flakes. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds, or until the sauce thickens slightly.

Makes 2 servings
    Per Serving: 118 calories 13g protein 10g carbs 3g fat 2g fiber 597mg sodium
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    Pan Fried Tofu and Awesome Hoisin Sauce

100-200 grams hard or extra firm tofu
    3 tsp vegetable oil
    1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
    2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    2 Tablespoon sesame oil

1. Really press as much water out of the tofu as possible. I wrap mine in paper towels to get the initial moisture off of it then wrap it in paper towels again and weight it down with a cast iron skillet and leave it for 20 mins.
    2. While you wait, combine the Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl and set aside.
    3. After the tofu is dry, slice it 1/2 inch thick.
    4. Heat the vegetable oil in non stick pan and when it's hot place the slices of tofu in there. The tofu should sizzle when you put it in and don't let the tofu touch the other tofu in the pan.
    5. Leave the tofu alone! Don't touch it! Depending on your pan the first side should take between 4-6 minutes (i have one piece I use as a tester piece) When golden brown flip. The other side won't take as long to cook, about 2-3 minutes.
    6. When done place on plate and drizzle Hoisin Sauce over it.

I top mine with sliced scallions and white sesame seeds for a visual and flavorful experience :)
  • ms_smartypants
    Options

TOFUNA

Baked Tofu
    Press a block of Lite Firm Tofu to remove as much water as possible. Cut into 4 "patties". Spray a baking sheet with EVOO. Mix together 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 tsp liquid smoke. Brush onto both sides of the patties, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Flip over and bake additional 15 minutes. When they are cooled, I roughly break them up and pulse them in my food processor. Put into a mixing bowl and add:

1 celery stalk, finely diced
    1/2 cup vegan mayo
    3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    salt & pepper to taste

Mix thoroughly and thoroughly enjoy!

AVOCADO TOFU SANDWICH

Baked Tofu (same prep as above recipe)

Avocado "mayo": Mash 1 avocado and combine with 1 T red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley. Use this in place of mayo.

Serve in a pita with a slice of tomato.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-tofu-without-deepfrying-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-201265

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros

This is the best method for cooking tofu in my opinion. :) Once you've prepared it in this method you can add it to dishes however you'd like, stir fry, etc.
  • ms_smartypants
    Options

http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/cheezecake/

Ingredients
    14 ounces silken tofu
    8 ounces Tofutti cream cheese
    ⅔ cup raw sugar
    ¾ tsp almond extract
    2 tbsp cornstarch

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare pie crust if you have not already done so. Place tofu and Tofutti in a blender and blend for 30 seconds. Stop, scrape the sides, and blend for another 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients and blend for 3 minutes, stopping periodically to scrape the sides. Once fully incorporated, pour into prepared pie crust and smooth top with a spatula. Bake 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and place somewhere away from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature (about 2-3 hours). Chill overnight or for at least 10 hours before serving.

For the blueberry topping pictured in the blog post photos, combine 1 cup frozen wild blueberries with 1/2 cup of water, 1 tbsp agave nectar, 1 tsp lemon zest, 2 tsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed into 2 tbsp of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Allow to thicken, stirring frequently. Turn off heat and allow the mixture to cool. Chill in the refrigerator until serving.

Nutritional Information

Serving Size: 1
    Servings Per Batch: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 151
    Fat 10.80g
    Carbohydrate 10.50g
    Dietary Fiber0.60g
    Sugars3.60g
    Protein3.90g
  • ms_smartypants
    Options

Black Pepper Tofu - from 'Plenty' Yotam Ottolenghi, recipe copied from the Epicurious website, saves me typing :smile:

'Serves 4
    You will definitely surprise yourself with this one. It is an extremely delicious dish that's quick and straightforward to make, but looks as if it's been prepared at a top Chinese restaurant. It is fiery, both from the chiles and the black pepper; you can moderate this by reducing their quantity a little. However, the whole point is spiciness so don't go too far.
    Ingredients

1 3/4 lbs firm tofu
    Vegetable oil for frying
    Cornstarch to dust the tofu
    11 tbsp butter
    12 small shallots (12 ounces in total), thinly sliced
    8 fresh red chiles (fairly mild ones), thinly sliced
    12 garlic cloves, crushed
    3 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
    3 tbsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
    3 tbsp light soy sauce
    4 tsp dark soy sauce
    2 tbsp sugar
    5 tbsp coarsely crushed black peppercorns (use a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder)
    16 small and thin green onions, cut into 1 1/4-inch segments

Preparation

Start with the tofu. Pour enough oil into a large frying pan or wok to come 1/4 inch up the sides and heat. Cut the tofu into large cubes, about 1 x 1 inch. Toss them in some cornstarch and shake off the excess, then add to the hot oil. (You'll need to fry the tofu pieces in a few batches so they don't stew in the pan.) Fry, turning them around as you go, until they are golden all over and have a thin crust. As they are cooked, transfer them onto paper towels. *ADDITION: I WRAP THE TOFU IN A TOWEL AND PLACE UNDER A HEAVY CHOPPING BOARD AND TIP TO DRAIN FOR 30 MINS BEFORE USING*

Remove the oil and any sediment from the pan, then put the butter inside and melt it. Add the shallots, chiles, garlic and ginger. Sauté on low to medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the ingredients have turned shiny and are totally soft. Next, add the soy sauces and sugar and stir, then add the crushed black pepper.

Add the tofu to warm it up in the sauce for about a minute. Finally, stir in the green onions. Serve hot, with steamed rice.'

It's really tasty
  • lindadprice
    lindadprice Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You know what's really good with tofu and your not cooking. You can make tofu salad like a potato salad with tofu. All you do is soak all the water out of the tofu. Scramble the tofu and add veggies like raw peppers chopped, a little mustard, and whatever mayonnaise product you like. My husband liked it and I didn't think he doesn't love tofu.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This baked Tofu is super easy. Firmness is critical.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463848164122/
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it fresh (and drained) with some mustard and pickles between two pieces of bread -- no cooking.
    Or cut it up in to oatmeal.

Fro some variety, you can freeze tofu as freezing changes the texture:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/06/13/tofu_banh_mi_a_vietnamese_caramelized_tofu_sandwich_that_shatters_prejudices.html
    One easy step will remedy most of your tofu-related tribulations: As soon as you get home from the grocery store, drain your tofu and stick it in the freezer. (You can slice the tofu before freezing if you want it to thaw faster.) Freezing changes the texture of tofu drastically and almost magically: When ice crystals form, they create small holes in the tofu, making it far spongier, firmer, and chewier than it was before. No amount of draining, patting dry, or pressing tofu can minimize sogginess as much as freezing does.

http://www.wellplated.com/ultra-crispy-unfried-tofu/
    The three-part secret to Ultra Crispy Unfried Tofu: Freeze; simmer; sauté. Freezing the tofu causes the water in it to expand and create extra air pockets that super-charge its surface area, as well as its flavor-absorption power. Slipping the tofu into a pot of boiling water, then simmering it for 10 minutes firms and plumps it. Finally, a light sauté over high heat gives it a crispy brown exterior.

As an additional health bonus, very little oil is needed for the sauté, since the tofu pieces are already nice and firm, thanks to Freezing Step 1 and Simmering Step 2. The simmer step is the most critical. If you are truly pressed for time, you can skip the freeze and the sauté, and simply simmer the tofu. Though the texture won’t be quite as crispy as if you had sautéed it, and it won’t absorb
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't eat tofu cooked except when I go to an Asian restaurants, but I love adding Silken tofu to my protein shakes (protein powder, water, berries, silken tofu and ice) makes it just like a strawberry shake from the ice cream shop.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Mmm tofu.

I sometimes slice tofu up into strips, soak or coat them in soy sauce/salt/pepper/hot peppers, and then bake in the oven. 20 minutes at 350, flip, another 15 minutes or so, and they are delicious as a standalone snack or in an easy stir-fry. For a crispier texture, add some olive oil to the coating.

These are two favorites in our household (even our meat loving 2-year old will chow down):

http://pinchofyum.com/honey-ginger-tofu-veggie-stir-fry
    http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/07/loaded-crispy-tofu-tacos/

We usually don't use all the sauce the honey ginger tofu calls for-instead we make the whole batch of sauce, use 1/4-1/2 on the dish, and then save it for regular stir-fries or for the next time we make it. Cuts back on a lot of the calories in the dish since the sauce has a lot of oil.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    This is on my meal plan for this weekend, so I can portion and freeze for lunches.
    Crockpot Vegetable Curry Tofu

It just looks so good
    IMG_0894a-682x1024.jpg