Type 1 diabetic

Options
Any type 1 diabetics have any weight loss tips? Please give them if you have them! Thanks

Replies

• sammycool1986
    sammycool1986 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have type 1 diabetes, do you self adjust your insulin based on carb ratio? I found that reducing my carbs helped as meant was having less insulin especially as insulin makes you hungry. Also when you lose weight you will start to require less insulin as well x
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lower carbs is better for us in general, really (though I love bread, so still eat it rather than feel miserable by depriving myself, but I've cut out pasta and a lot of potato and stuff like that). So reduce carbs where you're happy to, and keep an eye on your sugars, as your insulin needs are going to change. If you're exercising, keep some glucotabs or other emergency sugar to hand, because I found I was getting quite a few hypos while I was working out what the reduced food intake and extra activity was doing to my sugars and insulin requirements. If you do have a hypo, don't overdo it by eating more than you need to recover - I used to drink and eat a load of stuff because my body said it was ravenous when I really only needed a glass of juice and a bananananana or slice of bread most of the time. Also don't feel guilty if you end up having to go over your calorie allowance to deal with a hypo, it's just one of those things we have to deal with. You'll learn to adjust quite quickly. Good luck!
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm not but my son is and he has lost 60lbs. 20 pounds through this app. He cut out almost all fast food, boxed pre made stuff and watched his potatoes, pastas and bread intake. Think high protein and lots of veggies. We dropped his basal and bolus amounts and he has had amazing blood sugars.
    Are you on an insulin pump or injections?
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    One problem we ran into is exercise at night as even with modification to his insulin intake he would keep dropping low. So now his exercise has to take place at least 3-4 hours before bed. So watch late night exercise