Not Hungry, Should I Eat...?

Options
I have really bad allergies today, and I just don't have an appetite. However, I'm way under on the calories... Should I be forcing myself to eat anyway?

Replies

• xcrystalx
    xcrystalx Posts: 19
    Options
    no dont force yourself to eat, your body will let you know when it needs food
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Call it an Intermittent Fast. If you aren't hungry, don't force food on yourself.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I am not hungry, I drink chocolate skim milk
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Eat. Your body needs nutrients, even if you think it doesn't.
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm notorious for skipping meals, but I don't think you should. I think you should at least try to eat some soup and saltines. If you don't, your blood sugar levels will drop and you will feel even worse. Plus, if you don't eat something now, when you do get feeling better, you are more likely to splurge.
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I am consistently about 300 calories under everyday and I am not hungry. I keep getting that stupid starvation message when I enter in my totals for the day.

Should I be worried?
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    One day of being way under isn't going to hurt you. If you're not hungry don't force yourself. As long as you're not consistently way way under your goals (if your goals are already set to a defiicit), then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • NWfluffy
    NWfluffy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat something. Try to stay close to your calories. I read someplace that you don't want more than a 200-300 calorie deficit at any time during the day. Makes sense to me. Also, I find that if I don't eat then I rebound later - either that day or soon after. Hope you feel better.

PS we're starting at the same place w/ the same end goal! What are the odds of that ?
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to eat if you're not hungry because of allergies. The whole starvation mode thing is really only a concern if you're consistently eating under your calorie goal. I think if you're just eating under for a day or two it shouldn't be a big deal. Just listen to your body. When it's hungry, it will tell you.

If you start feeling weak, shove something easy to digest in there, like saltines or dry toast and a banana.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I am not hungry, I drink chocolate skim milk

I would agree with this, or something else really light. I don't think you should force feed yourself a huge meal, but give your body something to power on... a bowl of cereal, some toast, cottage cheese... just something light so you don't feel sick.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I am consistently about 300 calories under everyday and I am not hungry. I keep getting that stupid starvation message when I enter in my totals for the day.

Should I be worried?

The only reason to be worried is if you're dipping below 1,200 on a regular basis (logging your exercise as well).
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Should I be worried?

The only reason to be worried is if you're dipping below 1,200 on a regular basis (logging your exercise as well).
    Taking exercise out of the equation (roughly 400ish calories burned a day) The MFP has me set up for 1320 a day and I'm hitting like a thousand and not getting hungry at all.
  • eklei123
    eklei123 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys!! I'll try and eat today as much as I can, but if I'm still at a deficit, I'll just be more careful over the next few days. Good thing I'm not exercising today lol...
  • aconwell
    aconwell Posts: 5
    Options
    NO!!!!! Don't eat. The other day, I only ate yogurt (80 calories) at 4:30am and wasn't hungry again until 12:30pm. You have to remember, the less calories you eat, the faster you will lose weight. A pound of fat is equivalent to 3,500 calories. So, if you are not hungry, then count those calories you aren't eating as going toward losing a pound :)

I hope you feel better, honey :( Allergies suck. This year is supposed to be the worst year for allergies.