FODMAP diet

Options
My husband has been asked by a doctor to try out the fodmap diet so Monday, we start. I'm doing it purely out of support for him. I've researched it and I've found a lot of contradicting things regarding it. He was given a paper with what he can and can't have but compared to what I've read, none of it seems to go with other things I've read.

Has anyone ever done or is doing this diet? Can you give me any suggestions or help? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I know someone on the Low FODMAP diet.

She has found the Monash University Low FODMAP App very useful.

http://www.med.monash.edu.au/cecs/gastro/fodmap/iphone-app.html

"The concept of FODMAPs was developed through research at Monash University. Professor Peter Gibson, Director of Gastroenterology at The Alfred Hospital and Monash University and Dr Jane Muir, Head of Translational Nutrition Science at Monash University led the first group in the world to measure the majority of FODMAPs in food. The team now has a comprehensive database of FODMAP content in food that has been generated out of their laboratory at Monash University."
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Each person's response to the items on the diet are a little different. Be prepared to experiment a bit. Good luck to him.
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's worth speaking with a dietician who understands it, as if it's done properly, the elimination and challenges can take months, not weeks. One of my close friends did it last year. Before starting, she had coeliac, Crohns and ulcerative colitis ruled out as causes of her problems. She followed the low FODMAPS diet for 6 or 8 weeks, before re-introducing the individual foods. The early stages of the elimination were hard - she didn't feel any better, and she lost a lot of weight (more than she needed to). Each of the weekly food challenges was a certain portion size of one food type at a time for 3 days in a row. She's narrowed her triggers to 3 main foods, and is much healthier now, so I think it's worth doing and doing properly. She still uses the Monash app to check on foods that she doesn't eat regularly. One of my colleagues had no medical checks, and was recommended by her GP to try the low FODMAPS, but without guidance, she hasn't stuck to it for more than a week, so she also hasn't had any improvement.
  • Becky_1971
    Becky_1971 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I both have found alot of relief with low FODMAPs. She and I have different levels of sensitivity to different things, so it is very individual based. We really were at a loss before a dietician started us on this then it all started making sense. It can be overwhelming, but to have no pain, discomfort or irregularity, its quite worth the trouble.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help/guidance. My husband doesn't have ibs or crohns but they are unsure what's going on with him and have hopes this might point us in the right direction, getting somewhere has been an ongoing battle for the last year. He does have an appointment with a dietician to talk it over so we can find out about the discrepancies and if vitamins are needed. I will look into the monash app because any extra help would be great.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have IBS and sticking to low FODMAPS is soooo helpful. However, people seem to think you're just trying to be difficult by essentially not being able to eat out, eat prepared food, eat whatever is convenient and everyone else is eating. It is a very limiting diet, and there is no way around that.
  • Lady_Lyrico
    Lady_Lyrico Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am currently following the low FODMAP plan. I started on August 10 and for 5 weeks had a respite from my symptoms. Like your husband, I have been tested for many things but with no clear diagnosis. My consultant believes my pain is related to a sluggish colon and IBS. Unfortunately since the 5-week point I have been having flare ups and my dietician thinks my symptoms are stress-related rather than food related. He said I need to be pain-free for 4 weeks before starting the reintroduction of possible trigger foods, but I haven't yet been able to make the 4 weeks. I have found it relatively easy to follow the plan, but it is very limiting socially as I cannot eat out. My diary is open if you want to see the sorts of things I eat. I am trying to limit to 1500 cals a day and I have lost weight, so that's a plus. I use the Monash app and a pamphlet issued by Monash that my dietician gave me.
    It's really great that you are supporting your husband in this. My husband is kind of along for the ride, and most of the meals I make are satisfying for him as well. We no longer have takeaways but I buy him ready meals for a Friday night treat. Otherwise we have stir frys, casseroles or salads.
    I hope your husband finds a solution to his issues.
  • JuniperT
    Options
    I am currently following the low FODMAP plan. I started on August 10 and for 5 weeks had a respite from my symptoms. Like your husband, I have been tested for many things but with no clear diagnosis. My consultant believes my pain is related to a sluggish colon and IBS. Unfortunately since the 5-week point I have been having flare ups and my dietician thinks my symptoms are stress-related rather than food related. He said I need to be pain-free for 4 weeks before starting the reintroduction of possible trigger foods, but I haven't yet been able to make the 4 weeks. I have found it relatively easy to follow the plan, but it is very limiting socially as I cannot eat out. My diary is open if you want to see the sorts of things I eat. I am trying to limit to 1500 cals a day and I have lost weight, so that's a plus. I use the Monash app and a pamphlet issued by Monash that my dietician gave me.
    It's really great that you are supporting your husband in this. My husband is kind of along for the ride, and most of the meals I make are satisfying for him as well. We no longer have takeaways but I buy him ready meals for a Friday night treat. Otherwise we have stir frys, casseroles or salads.
    I hope your husband finds a solution to his issues.

I don't know if it's because I'm on my phone but I can't see your diary at all. I am going to try another way to see it, because until we see a dietician I don't know if we're doing this right at all. My husband was told he should do this for 4 weeks then start reintroducing foods which I thought was ridiculous, that doesn't seem like a long enough of a time to get everything out of your system. Thank you for your help.
  • JuniperT
    Options
    RobynLB83 wrote: »
    I have IBS and sticking to low FODMAPS is soooo helpful. However, people seem to think you're just trying to be difficult by essentially not being able to eat out, eat prepared food, eat whatever is convenient and everyone else is eating. It is a very limiting diet, and there is no way around that.

I'm really not worried about what people think haha his health is far more important. I really hope this is helpful for him and I'm so happy to hear it was for you, it seems as though not a lot of people have even heard of this lifestyle.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've been following it, in addition to a gluten free diet due to IBS, gastroparesis and suspected celiac disease (I had conflicting tests). I basically can only eat foods that digest easily. I find it very effective in controlling my symptoms but very tough to stick to, sometimes it feels like there is nothing I can eat!

Good luck! Feel free to add me :)
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Same as above poster. Same diagnosis :( I've been following low fodmap for 2 1/2 years already.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I was just listening to a program talking about IBS and FODMAP diets earlier today and wondering if I might benefit due to my celiac issues. Anyway, the Monash University App was recommended- even over a dietician- by the GI on the program. Apparently it's about 8 bucks.
  • Lady_Lyrico
    Lady_Lyrico Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    JuniperT wrote: »
    [

I don't know if it's because I'm on my phone but I can't see your diary .
    I have checked my settings and it says the diary is set to public, but I have sent you a friend request in case that makes it easier to see.

My dietician said I should follow the plan for 6-8 weeks initially before starting the reintroduction. Because you reintroduce in such a controlled way, you actually end up following it for much longer. I'm on Day 78. The main changes for me have been that I have to make meals from scratch which involves lots of planning and preparation time. A lot of pre made savoury foods include onion or garlic (both things I love) but that have to be excluded.
    A sample day for me would be 'overnight' oats with banana and almond milk for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch, pork stir fry for dinner, and some grapes and a homemade oat cookie (recipe from the Monash app) for snacks.

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My mom has done it (and is still avoiding some of the foods). She stayed on it quite a while before trialing foods. Her Gastro doc recommended it. She figured out some triggers, and at this point avoids some of the original things, but can eat others. No more apples ever for her, though :( She just, after 9 months, trialed gluten again and can handle some of it. And she happened to be having some other gut tests done so they biopsied for celiac and she is negative! She is very happy she can eat small amounts of gluten!