Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Meal prep tips and ideas

Hi everyone! If anyone has any tips or ideas about meal prepping please share.

Replies

• The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 511 Member
    edited October 2015
    I do meal prep twice per week as I find veggies too dry for my taste if they sit too long, I usually prep on Sundays and Wednesdays.

Yesterday I portioned out Greek yogurt/berries for my 1st meal, carrots/celery/hummus for snack, salad/toppings/chicken for lunch, and a piece of fruit/PB for another snack. Dinners are planned but not made ahead of time.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Meal planning is the first step to prepping. I see what is on sale and plan accordingly. I also like to do one big thing on Sunday and then use it for the next several days. Example -1) bake one or more (depending on family size) large chickens for Sunday dinner. Use left overs for chicken tacos on Monday and chicken salad wrap for Tuesday lunch. 2) Bake a large beef pot roast for dinner - leftovers can be used for a chili or for beef stew as well as a sandwich or wrap.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    I'm a vegetarian and single, so I can easily make a large meal to last me through-out the work week (cheap and easy too). I also portion out things like nuts and dried mango (as a treat) about once every two weeks, as I can make plenty of little baggies to last me. The night before (work) I portion out milk in glass jars, and every third day I portion out protein powder (I only have three smaller jars).

The main thing for me is planning ahead. I now know how much (dark) chocolate I can break off for x amount of grams (and even if I'm a bit off, I count by a weekly deficit, and usually eat the whole 100 grams over the course of the week so it doesn't matter; I do the same with my soup, which I simply take the whole weight of the ingredient and divide it by the number of meals and log that each day I eat it) and I have my scale right by the stove so that I can weigh things like eggs and bananas before I eat them.

I do the majority of my meal planning and prepping on Sundays, but that's just a personal preference. In two weeks I will no longer be working and will have more time during the week for things like this. However, I find that having a lot of meals (and especially high calorie snacks!) already prepared and easy to grab limits the amount I eat -- and means I go for the easiest option (the prepared snack) instead of something else, which will probably not keep me as full and will more than likely lead to even more calories.

Now if you prefer variety it might get a bit more tricky, but I personally prefer knowing in advance what I'm going to eat (and I do allow myself to change the plan "in the moment" if I really feel like it). And once I have more time I might actually be even "crazier" and do prepared bags of (dry, but weighed) pasta and other items too, so that I can easier log it in advance. :smile:

Best of luck!
  • MariaOLeary
    MariaOLeary Posts: 9 Member
    I find that making a batch of quinoa on Sunday helps because I can mix it with stuff all week. It works in Salad, as a side or also as a breakfast with fruit and cinnamon heated up!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    I love to meal prep. I make my menu then my grocery list. I only buy the items I need and I try to keep stocks of regularly used food in the cabinet.
    I typically make a crock pot soup or similar on sunday and take that for my lunches. I cook for my husband and I each evening and I keep the menu on my desk at work so I know exactly what we're having each night. Sundays are my time to do the prepping and I take an hour to make it happen. It can become very second nature and easy to do once you figure out how to make it work for you.
    I never worry about what we are eating each night. :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I like to cook and freeze dishes. To start, pick a one pot meal - stew, chili, curries, or soup (easiest to get the hang of) - cook, cool, portion into individual containers, and freeze. Sauces like marinara, enchilada sauce, or BBQ sauce can be frozen the same way.

You can also freeze things like meatballs, homemade burritos, breakfast sandwiches, nuggets, taquitos, mini-pot pies, stuffed peppers, or mini-meatloves by cooking, cooling, freezing on a baking sheet (flash freeze) then transferring the frozen items into a freezer bag. The baking sheet keeps them from freezing together so you can take out as many or as few as you want to eat at that time.

Casseroles can be frozen for a few hours until semi solid, then cut into portions and you can put the portioned squares into a freezer bag to take out one serving at a time.

Batch/freezer cooking has been my savior. details here. I've done it for about 8 years and I'll never look back. I cook VERY rarely during the week. Occasionally I cook something that isn't freezer friendly - like stuffed zucchini boats - at night after eating dinner so that we can just pop it in the oven the following day.

You can also prep crockpot meals at one time so that you can easily throw them into a crockpot in the morning with no prep like this.

I pretty much make a breakfast frittata/crustless quiche and keep it in the fridge to heat up one piece every morning, then I grab one of my frozen portions of food and I pack it in my lunch bag. Sometimes I make a salad or grab something leftover instead, but at least 3 out of 5 workdays are usually something from my freezer.

We use components of freezer meals (like making pita pizzas with marinara that was pre-cooked), or having zoodles or pasta with meatballs (precooked), or cooking rice to go along with dal (precooked), or putting toppings on chili (precooked), etc so that dinners are easy. I admit that now that I'm no longer a single mother, we tend to eat more meat plus veg (and sometimes starch) meals.
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    I have started meal prepping for the past couple weeks for my husband and I. If I don't, he eats fast food for breakfast and lunch which both gets costly and packs on the pounds. I didn't know he was doing this, but once I found out I started prepping our meals. It turns out, I suppose because I an prepping for two, I only make about 3 meals for each of us. Lol I bought some containers off Amazon. Search meal prep containers and a bunch will pop up. I bought round containers, a 2 compartment and 3 compartment. I use the 2 compartment for breakfast. I make oatmeal, portion in 1/2 cup servings with 1/2 cup fruit. Then in the other side I do scrambled eggs with zucchini or egg muffins. Then for lunch, this week I used the 3 compartment. I made zucchini boats with lean ground beef, a little rice and some veggies topped with cheese. In the smaller compartment I made a pasta, tomato, mozzarella salad and the other side has eggplant fries. Last week I made chicken, broccoli and brown rice bowls(in the round container). Each time I've taken about 3 hours. However, I hear the more you do it, the easier and faster it gets. Also to be fair, this week I was also making dinner while I was prepping so I had to wait for the oven to be free etc. If you are a Pinterest user, there are tons of ideas if you search 'meal prepping'. Good luck.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I've always "packed" breakfast the same way I pack my lunch - the night before (so not a morning person).

Breakfast 1 (yogurt parfait): I portion out high fiber cereal & nuts a ziplock sandwich bag. Then I put yogurt & berries in a covered bowl in the fridge. In the a.m. I just mix together.

Breakfast 2 (oatmeal): Mix sugar, nuts, and seasonings (or canned pumpkin, sugar and seasonings). Portion out and store. Then I pour boiling water over oats. Snap a tight lid on and "soak" overnight. In the a.m. I dump the seasonings in a microwave 1:30 minutes. This works great for 5 minute oats.

On Sunday I grill a bunch of chicken breast. I portion meat into ziplock bags and freeze. Then I have chicken for salads - Asian, Cesar, Taco, Harvest....I copy fast food salads. All the fixin's can be portioned out too....nuts, craisins, shredded cheese, etc.
  • luvlycandee
    luvlycandee Posts: 3 Member
    So many great responses, thanks! Keep them coming!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    i usually do this

breakfast: eggs, toast, coffee, tomatoes, sometimes yogurt, 1/2 an avocado, or a few nuts. sometimes a piece of prosciutto. i might put some spinach in the eggs, or fry them in green onions.

lunch: a sandwich and/or soup, either out or at home. Starbucks sandwiches are predictable and not horrible (unlike their coffee which is predictable and horrible).

dinner:
    - 200 grams/7 oz of meat (usually chicken breast, steak, pork chops, shrimp, salmon, ground beef)
    - 1/2-1 cup starch (potatoes or rice are better calorie value than pasta; i boil baby potatoes when i have 30-40 minutes, while jasmine rice cooks in 10-15 mins, depending on the brand. sometimes it's just a piece of bread)
    -1 cup fibrous veg (broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts) or a bean or lentil dish. (sometimes i do the beans/lentils instead of a starch.) sometimes a salad, but it doesn't take me as far as broccoli or legumes do, hunger-wise.

sometimes i am just lazy and have rice or pasta with frozen meatballs or shrimp (takes no time to defrost or cook) and jarred tomato sauce. or i get deli roasted chicken instead of cooking it. (or tacos or a pizza slice or korean takeout.)

my priority is being able to cook fast and keep it simple. if i have time, that's when i do the legumes (chili, channa masala, dahl).

evening snack:
    - oatmeal, hot rice cereal, a banana, a small peanut butter/jam or ham sandwich.

my preferred way of doing it is to cook dinner every other night. i'm just cooking for one, here. so i'll make 2 portions of a meat and starch on Monday (eg chicken and boiled potatoes), leftovers are dinner on night 2. veg is fresh every time.

shopping: i shop every 2-3 days for dinner stuff, with protein in mind. i'll get eg 2 pieces of chicken breast (for eg Mon & Tues dinner) + 500 grams ground beef (for Wed / Thurs). or some pork chops + a steak. (steaks i just make that night, but they take no time). i also pick up one salad (will last ~3 days) and 1-2 kinds of fibrous veg for steaming. and tomatoes for breakfast. bananas, maybe.

weekly shop: eggs, cream, bread, yogurt, nuts, sometimes coffee or sugar if i'm out. ham, prosciutto, calabrese, tuna for sandwiches. cheese, maybe.

monthly shop: frozen shrimp and salmon. they take no time to defrost. i also get frozen chicken strips and meatballs for lazy/hungry days.)

not so into batch cooking. sometimes i freeze leftover chili or bean things that would go to waste.