Running whine!!!

Options
yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
I have been running (if you can call it that!!!) since november and it still suck, I am still very slow (14 minutes mile) I still have to walk often and I am not getting better. I run 2-3 times a week and added strenght training too (1-2 times a week)

I am not asking it to be enjoyable....just suck less!!!

Am I the only one that is having so much trouble with running?

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a specific training plan? Maybe couch to 5 k or something? This seems to be a favorite of alot of people and having goals when you set out (of intervals, etc.) can help any run go better. I know when I go out aimlessly I can get to be pretty unhappy and I run 1/2 marathons.

Or it may be running is not your bag. Try to find an exercise you like, you will be more likely to do it.
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, but I don't think your time sounds that bad. I also run quite slowly and I run/walk around a 16 minute mile.
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    If you can, try to get the book, "Chi Running" by Danny Dryer. You can read about Chi Running at their site http://www.chirunning.com. It helped me tremendously!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You should do something else. If you don't enjoy it, you'll never improve.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    find a running buddy. I am getting ready to join a running club because of the same reason. But, I LOVE running, I just am not happy with my progression rate.
  • kixz
    kixz Posts: 13
    Options
    http://doctormama.blogspot.com/2008/04/maggot-tricks.html

here's a blog that was recommended to me once. I've only looked at it briefly but i believe it may contain a few good tips! good luck!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. Part of it is that you just need to push yourself. I was running 14 minute miles FOREVER. I started adding short bursts of fast times into my runs. 2 minutes at 12 minute miles, then go back to slower for 5, then faster for 2, ect. Hill work will help too.

I do all this on the treadmill though, so I have better control...

Also, find a speed where you can 'wog' without stopping for a time period. Maybe that lands at 15 minute miles for awile, but find the speed where you don't have to stop and walk. Also, figure out 'why' you have to walk. Can you not breath? Feet hurt? Just pooped? Tell me that, and I can give more specifics.

I started really running again in March. I was running 14-15 minute miles then. I"m down to 5 miles in 63 minutes now.
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with Bethrs, maybe you had a goal and it would make it better or running just isn't your thing. I am not a runner and have never enjoyed it either. But I started doing the couch 2 5k program (http://www.c25k.com/) and I am enjoying it now (most of the time). It is easier having the times intervals and I crank up my ipod. There is a community forum on here doing the couch25k and everyone is very supportative. We are tracking our progress and pushing everyone along, it's great having an entire group involved. Search for it on the community pages, we would love others to join in. Good luck!
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    How many minutes are you running at a time? How far are you going? Are you sweating? I am in love with running but even I feel bored with it at moments. If I push myself just a little beyond comfort, I can get a good sweat and the endorphines come along and make it enjoyable. But it requires increasing distance. Check out Hal Higdon's free running programs or Couch-2-5k with CoolRunning.com I think it is.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Find a beginners running group. Maybe one with a particular race in mind. Train FOR something and WITH people. I love to run...but DURING the run I almost always struggle to keep going. Mind over matter. For me, the best part of the run is when I have just finished...and my blood is pumping, I'm breathing hard and I KNOW that I accomplished something. Every few years I will have one of those AWESOME runs where it almost feels effortless, everything works great, nothing hurts. But those are rare. Running is hard work.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've been running about a year (3-5x/wk) and I just recently broke a 12:00 mile for the first time. I got out with a plan and a music mix with beats that match my run speed (www.jogfm.com AMAZING). If I'm treadmilling it I watch the news while I run, it keeps me just distracted enough that I don't mind the run. Honestly, it's only been in the last few months that I started to enjoy running. If you really dislike it that much it may be better for you to cut your losses and try something else.