PCOS and a Low Carb Diet

Options
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I am 25-35 lb overweight. Currently 159 lb and want to be somewhere between 125-135 lb. I was told by a couple doctors that a low carb and low sugar diet is the best way to reverse the symptoms of PCOS and the best way to lose weight when you have it. I'm in college so my budget is extremely tight and I can't seem to think of foods I can afford to eat on this type of diet. I have previously just done calorie counting but without much luck on results. Any ideas or help with this one?

Replies

• tashigolean115
    tashigolean115 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Tuna, chicken, and eggs are a good start. There is a low carb group that would probable be able to help you more than the main boards. But low carb/paleoish style diets seem to work well for PCOS sufferers.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ktb593 wrote: »
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I am 25-35 lb overweight. Currently 159 lb and want to be somewhere between 125-135 lb. I was told by a couple doctors that a low carb and low sugar diet is the best way to reverse the symptoms of PCOS and the best way to lose weight when you have it. I'm in college so my budget is extremely tight and I can't seem to think of foods I can afford to eat on this type of diet. I have previously just done calorie counting but without much luck on results. Any ideas or help with this one?

You don't need to eat special foods. You can eat veggies, fruits, and a moderate level of grains, along with meat, dairy, etc. Limiting foods generally thought of as sweets (candy, cake, cookies, etc.) can reduce your carb intake quite a bit, assuming they are in your diet to begin with. I would suggest starting out by lowering your carbs somewhat but not super low. 100-150 g per day, for example, to start.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Your doctors are correct - a low carb diet is what you (and most other folks) need. Easy to do....nothing special food-wise. Concentrate on meat, cheese, eggs, health fats and nuts.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils sound high-carb, but they are good for us with PCOS and other forms of insulin resistance. They have such a low glycemic load that they are great for blood sugar issues. I count them separately in my carbs counts.

There are lots of other nice foods that are low-GI even though they are mainly carbs. Usually (not always) it really is the more processed carbs that end up being the big ones to avoid.
  • bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Are you insulate resistant? This is the only reason you would need to lower carbs. Other wise youll just have to lower your calories. Those of us to have this unfortunate condition require less calories than others.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    I have PCOS. I've lost 3st5lbs just by cutting calories. If you aren't insulin resistant, you don't need to mess around doing low carb. It just means we need to eat a little less than your average Joe. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

How tall are you?

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, home made burgers with 20% fat ground / minced beef. Tinned sardines too.
  • ktb593
    ktb593 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

How tall are you?

I'm 5'5"
  • ktb593
    ktb593 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Definitely helped me out!
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    @NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner how many calories are you eating? Eating less than the 500 deficit as advised per normal, or did you have to restrict even more? Did you eat anything or low carb?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    @NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner how many calories are you eating? Eating less than the 500 deficit as advised per normal, or did you have to restrict even more? Did you eat anything or low carb?

I started in January on 1580 calories. Eventually reduced them to 1500 and now I'm back on 1580 to lose 0.5lb a week as I'm really close to goal.

I eat all the things I love but in moderation and weighed. A food scale is your best friend. No need to do low carb and I walk. Boy do I walk some miles. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into learning more about the glycemic index. Choosing low-GI foods can help.

You may not need to do an Atkins-style low-carb diet--just REDUCING your carb intake can make a difference. No added sugar is a good place to start.

I have PCOS along with 4 other metabolic diseases. I've found that a moderate carb diet works for me. I am defining that as around 100G/day. On a diet like that, you can still eat some fruit, some grains, lots of veggies and a couple of servings of meat in a day. I lose better around 75G/day and always gain above 125G/day.

Track and see what works for you over time.

Exercise makes a big difference for us as well. What is your workout plan?