Fish oil pills recommendation?

Options
LastingChanges
LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Any fish oil pills recommendations?
I want to try them out to improve memory and concentration.
I tried some brand before and it made me break out, anyone know which ones are the best to take?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I use flax seed oil because I was tired of burping fish.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I've been using Carlson but didn't notice any effect on memory and concentration. However, I wasn't looking to improve it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am a regular user of krill.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I prefer the mega red krill oil.

Same amount of DHA and no fishy burps. It also tastes like vanilla and is much easier to swallow.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat sardines every few days
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Carlson dha
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I like Nordic Naturals. No fishy taste and I get three bottles for free every business quarter.

Barleen's is good too. Their fish oil comes in a fruity, smoothie-like form. You swallow a tablespoon, and it's really yummy. The orange creme one tastes like a dreamsicle.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    don't expect changes in memory and concentration
    fish oil is not the miracle some sites claim it to be
    and please know that getting it from salmon or other fatty fish is always better (1 or 2 times a week)
    majority of people take it for cardiovascular health (heart health)

I don't expect a miracle from any supplement, but a little help from fish oil can't hurt, even if there is only a minuscule benefit. I already eat fish. Actually when I took fish oil previously I did see a small change in concentration (unless maybe it was a placebo effect) I had to stop taking that brand though because it was making me break out.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed a massive amount of fish oil a day. I prefer the liquid form, orange flavor (Pharmax).
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I buy the Costco type.

It is very cheap, and a few years ago Consumer Reports rated it as one of the best (if not the best, can't remember) based on their independent testing. I think they were looking at contamination (heavy metals) and whether the oil was rancid, but again, its been a couple years.

I find fish oil gross to even swallow, but my kids chew up the pill! EWWWWWW.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to save your money and time.

No study has ever shown that fish oil supplements do anything.

Most people take it out of wishful thinking.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the studies specifically look at fish oil supplementation, but studies have shown that increased omega-3 fatty acids improve focus and concentration in kids. That is why I give it to my borderline-ADHD kid.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    in my personal experience it helped me a lot with dry eyes, dry skin, and dry scalp.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »
    I don't know if the studies specifically look at fish oil supplementation, but studies have shown that increased omega-3 fatty acids improve focus and concentration in kids. That is why I give it to my borderline-ADHD kid.

I suspect I have a little bit of ADD, hard time concentrating sometimes. Although I am no longer a kid, any natural help is worth a try.
    Dont know why people are so quick to reject any natural healthy help.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    in my personal experience it helped me a lot with dry eyes, dry skin, and dry scalp.

Do you mind sharing which one you are taking ?
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have tried all kinds of supplements before. I can't say I personally noticed a great improvement. I have always taken spirulina and chlorella in my morning/midday smoothie. Probably my imagination but I do get less migraines :)
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Do you mind sharing which one you are taking ?

As above, i take this.

91jbfENVTML._SX522_.jpg
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, the fish oil recommendation coincided with studies of Inuit diets--remarkably high in saturated fat yet no heart disease. The correlation led to the hypothesis that the omega-3 must be protective against heart disease. And the supplement industry jumped on that. But correlation is not causation. More recently, scientists found the Inuit have a genetic adaptation that causes their bodies to metabolize saturated fat differently than people without the mutation. That suggests the gene, not omega-3, is the protective factor. This summarizes and contains links to scientific articles.