How to stop cravings when you are on you TOM?

Options
TMI!!
Does anyone else get really bad cravings when they're on they're time of month?
What do you do to stop these cravings? Or do you try and eat them in moderation?
I really don't want to undo any progress I've made and I always seem to binge big time! :neutral:

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would read up to learn more about your menstrual cycle and how it affects you physiologically. This can help you understand what is going on and plan ahead a bit. On a practical level, I would suggest allowing yourself to eat slightly more for a few days. Eating at maintenance or giving yourself an extra 200-300 calories for 1-3 days isn't going to undo your progress, especially if it prevents binging (which generally exceeds that calorie level.)

Menstrual cycle & fitness & other lady stuff
    * http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html/
    * http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/what-really-causes-irregular-menstrual-cycles-in-female-athletes
    * http://www.optimumh.co.uk/influence-of-menstrual-cycle-on-strength-training-and-timing/
    * https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters
    * http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/69538-the-pelvis-abs-and-hormones-walk-into-a-gym/
    * http://www.strengtheory.com/gender-differences-in-training-and-diet/#axzz3kRAhKHG5
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've been really struggling with this today and yesterday! I'm seriously hungry, AND craving stuff that I can't fit in on top of my planned meals for the day, AND I've got horrible cramps :( Someone told me that bananas are good as the potassium helps with various TOM related problems, and I've found that the odd square of really high cocoa plain/dark chocolate helps to settle the craving for a giant bar of Galaxy or whatever. Hot drinks are good too - I've been drinking herbal/fruit tea - and some people have suggested eating more protein. I think I might end up at maintenance today though because I feel rubbish.
  • awash10
    awash10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking your question. Its the time of the month for me and I was wondering why I just want to continue to snack. I just grab a bag of popcorn and trying to eat it as slow as possible. I have also grabbed some peppermints.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I always tend to have such an appetite on those four-six days and it's always cravings for junk foods!!
  • KT_3009
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would read up to learn more about your menstrual cycle and how it affects you physiologically. This can help you understand what is going on and plan ahead a bit. On a practical level, I would suggest allowing yourself to eat slightly more for a few days. Eating at maintenance or giving yourself an extra 200-300 calories for 1-3 days isn't going to undo your progress, especially if it prevents binging (which generally exceeds that calorie level.)

Menstrual cycle & fitness & other lady stuff
    * http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html/
    * http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/what-really-causes-irregular-menstrual-cycles-in-female-athletes
    * http://www.optimumh.co.uk/influence-of-menstrual-cycle-on-strength-training-and-timing/
    * https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters
    * http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/69538-the-pelvis-abs-and-hormones-walk-into-a-gym/
    * http://www.strengtheory.com/gender-differences-in-training-and-diet/#axzz3kRAhKHG5

I will look into those! thanks for the info! :)
  • KT_3009
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    I've been really struggling with this today and yesterday! I'm seriously hungry, AND craving stuff that I can't fit in on top of my planned meals for the day, AND I've got horrible cramps :( Someone told me that bananas are good as the potassium helps with various TOM related problems, and I've found that the odd square of really high cocoa plain/dark chocolate helps to settle the craving for a giant bar of Galaxy or whatever. Hot drinks are good too - I've been drinking herbal/fruit tea - and some people have suggested eating more protein. I think I might end up at maintenance today though because I feel rubbish.

I might stick with maintenance as well because at least than I have those extra calories for when I need something snacky :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    KT_3009 wrote: »
    I always tend to have such an appetite on those four-six days and it's always cravings for junk foods!!

I've found that giving myself permission to eat more for the first couple of days seems to shorten the length of any cravings/extra hunger. It's kind of like refueling yourself and taking away the allure of the "forbidden."
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I eat one meal with 1 "treat" - for example, half an order of fries with my vegetable hummus wrap makes me feel like I've eaten well and doesn't put too much of a dent. I also allow myself a couple of pieces of dark chocolate.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I've found that giving myself permission to eat more for the first couple of days seems to shorten the length of any cravings/extra hunger. It's kind of like refueling yourself and taking away the allure of the "forbidden."

That's a good idea! I know for everyone it's totally different but I've just wanted to see what has worked for other people :)
  • KT_3009
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    I eat one meal with 1 "treat" - for example, half an order of fries with my vegetable hummus wrap makes me feel like I've eaten well and doesn't put too much of a dent. I also allow myself a couple of pieces of dark chocolate.

The only problem I have with that is that I feel like if I even have any "bad foods" I will just binge! But hopefully the next time I will be better with controlling cravings and just snack on smaller healthier snacks
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I just try to fit stuff in as best I can and watch portions. Sometimes dinner is a salad and German chocolate cake. Normally I'd try to fit my macros better but sometimes eh.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a pint or two of Ben & Jerry's premenstrually. Now, when I note that my appetite has gone up, I look at the calendar, confirm I'm premenstrual, and switch to maintenance calories for a few days. Eating an extra 500 calories of regular food seems to have wiped out the cravings. I do take magnesium, which is also supposed to help with cravings and PMS.

I don't stop exercising completely, but do modify it according to what my body is up for. This month I was up for cleaning gutters and yard work, lol.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I used to eat a pint or two of Ben & Jerry's premenstrually. Now, when I note that my appetite has gone up, I look at the calendar, confirm I'm premenstrual, and switch to maintenance calories for a few days. Eating an extra 500 calories of regular food seems to have wiped out the cravings. I do take magnesium, which is also supposed to help with cravings and PMS.

I don't stop exercising completely, but do modify it according to what my body is up for. This month I was up for cleaning gutters and yard work, lol.

I'm thinking of sticking to maintenance for the first 2-3 days and slowly go back to my deficit as the week goes on. I have trouble exercising during that time because I feel so sluggish
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps for me as it's my crabby mood that kicks off cravings. Helps ease cramps too. Otherwise I'll let myself eat 200-300 over my allowance for a day or two and add in a few craving treats.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    I think I may have to tough it out and try adding in some exercise! I might just stick with low intensity stuff like some yoga and walk on treadmill :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm thinking of sticking to maintenance for the first 2-3 days and slowly go back to my deficit as the week goes on. I have trouble exercising during that time because I feel so sluggish

I pay attention to my hunger cues. My appetite was up Friday, period kicked in Saturday, appetite back down yesterday (Monday.) It's normally a longer appetite up and down cycle, but I've recently changed up my regular exercise routine and I think that helped.

I sure wasn't up for regular exercise during my heavy days, but actually enjoyed doing yardwork Saturday. All I wanted to do Sunday was lie in bed and watch DVDs but my mother was planting bushes next to my father's tombstone so I forced myself to go and help with the non-digging part of the project. It was a good lesson in what I feel like doing versus what I am capable of doing.

She didn't feel like doing it either, but we are at the end of the planting season and my father's been gone for a year and a half, so it was time to get it done already, and we motivated each other.
  • krithsai
    Options

The only problem I have with that is that I feel like if I even have any "bad foods" I will just binge! But hopefully the next time I will be better with controlling cravings and just snack on smaller healthier snacks

Don't think of them as "bad foods". I think of it like this - "If I eat fries everyday, I'll blow my caloric goal and not have much left to eat more filling foods" and that's why I won't eat fries everyday. During my TOM, when I order fries, I always get it with a lower calorie main course(salad, veggie wrap, veggie burger with no bun), take out whatever I want to eat separately and just throw the rest away. This works for me.
  • krithsai
    Options

If you're looking for yummy snacks that don't make too much of a dent : Skinny popcorn(100 calories a bag and oh so yummy!), steamed edamame(season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a tsp of butter), roasted unsalted nuts, oven baked potato/sweet potato/carrot "fries". To satisfy a sweet tooth I eat a piece of dark chocolate or blend up a fruit smoothie with frozen fruit. It's just about finding things to fit within your goals. I don't grieve over going slightly above if I really need to eat.
  • KT_3009
    Options

If you're looking for yummy snacks that don't make too much of a dent : Skinny popcorn(100 calories a bag and oh so yummy!), steamed edamame(season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a tsp of butter), roasted unsalted nuts, oven baked potato/sweet potato/carrot "fries". To satisfy a sweet tooth I eat a piece of dark chocolate or blend up a fruit smoothie with frozen fruit. It's just about finding things to fit within your goals. I don't grieve over going slightly above if I really need to eat.

Thanks so much for the suggestions they all sound super yummy :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    A craving is not a mandate. Just don't.

Drink more fluids, go to the gym, do other things...there are a million options.