Diluted Juice

Options
So I started trying to make sure i drank 1 - 1.5 ltrs of water a day.. and I really struggle, dont like it at all, it must be a lifelong conditioning thing, because who can dislike water yeah .. ?

Anyway, I came up with a cunning plan to help me drink the fluid.. Diluted Fruit Juice, Ive always like Lemon Barley Water, so bought a bottle.. and hey presto, I can drink a bottle of water, I know the juice has additives etc, but I thought that must be the lesser evil, im still getting a lot of water into me.

Out of interest I read the label, something I do on everything I eat, but never thought about for juice.

100ml is 92, cals, what a suprise, so being properly obssevie I weighed the quantity when i poured it into my bottle, and it was almost 100ml before adding the water..

Bit of a suprise tbh, I wont stop drinking it, I will just have to add it to my cal count, but i thought, i might as well drink tea or coffee at this rate :) Before anyone suggests trying the diet varieties, I cant, they are just vile lol.

Replies

• Paul699
    Paul699 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sorry, moral of this is, read and weigh EVERYTHING ! :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    what about iced tea?

I also like adding a tablespoon of fruit juice to sparkling water.

edited to add: Something that REALLY puts me in the mood to drink water when i'm not otherwise feeling it is a cardio session or swimming/being in the sun. It kicks in my "must drink cold water" phase.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I normally dilute my Juice with 1/2 water.
    Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Pineapple Juice ....whatever juice you like.
    A small glass (150ml) of Juice comes in at around 70 cals.
    Just add water to make it go further.
    I also try to drink 100% pure Juice, not the concentrated stuff.
  • Paul699
    Options
    is it tap water that you do not like? taste?
    try gallon jugs of water from the store. look for drinking water, not spring water
    how can someone hate water?

Ok maybe hate was strong, but it is definitely the last thing on my list to drink, i could never be one these people who constantly have a bottle of water in their hand.

Even cardio gym sessions don't drive me to it, gross out warning, my urine was a very deep yellow which of course I know is a clear sign of dehydration, which is what prompted me to force myself to drink water.. although with the addition of juice. Its getting better already, though now i curse as Im running to the loo 20 million times a day :)

I also only drink bottled or filtered from the office tap..
  • Paul699
    Options

Is that fresh juice your talkig about ?, I might try it, but i was refering to the cordial type juices.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Keep trying, you get used to it.

Having to have something sweet or flavored all the time wouldn't be a good thing for me.

I keep a Brita (filter) water pitcher in the fridge. Cold water is refreshing, especially after exercise. I also have a glass of ice water when I watch TV. Just having it close by, I drink it absent mindedly.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Paul699 wrote: »

Is that fresh juice your talkig about ?, I might try it, but i was refering to the cordial type juices.

Yes, i meant fresh juices (i.e Tropicana Orange Juice etc).
    I'm not a lover of cordial type drinks tbh, cos of the additives etc.
    And i find the low cal versions taste awful!
    I'm with you though, plain water isn't that appealing to me either. :/
    I guess you could also try making your own lime or lemon juice & add a little Honey or Maple Syrup for sweetness.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Why not try steeping a herbal tea and drinking it cold? How about a citrus mint blend? That will be closer to zero calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    read: the 24 benefits of water
    http://greatist.com/health/health-benefits-water
    after you read this you will love, love water

i eat kale even though i hate it because i know it's healthy - not because i like it

Why don't you just eat greens that you like? Or do you hate all greens?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    try gallon jugs of water from the store. look for drinking water, not spring water

I really dislike plain water, except when I'm super thirsty like I've been out in the hot sun doing yard work, then I can down a glass of ice water. Other than that, I have to drink things like tea or lemonade because, yeah, I really don't like the taste of plain water. I do force myself to drink at least 1 bottle a day, but the majority of my water comes from other sources. This time of year is nice when the weather cools off a bit because I love herbal tea.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

i hate it. it doesn't taste good be it tap water or spring, or processed.
    i generally add mio or crystal light.
    water plain also hurts my stomach
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    How about steeping your water with a lot of fruit? You get flavor with none of the calories.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice has a higher specific gravity than water, so weighing is not an ideal way of figuring out milliliters.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Paul699 wrote: »
    Sorry, moral of this is, read and weigh EVERYTHING ! :)

I don't understand this comment, or how you weighed it and determined it was 100 ml. ml are a measure of volume not weight. And if you measured it and it was exactly as stated on the package (100 ml) it would seem that the measuring was unnecessary.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest drinking more water and learning to like it. Did you like coffee or beer the first time you had them? I didn't. I learned to love coffee. The same can happen with water.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with squash?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    One liter a day? I have at least three, plus coffee??

Get a pitcher, cut up some fruit and/or herbs, let it seep overnight. Basil and mint can add another dimension to the fruit flavors for variety.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I like water infused with cucumbers, celery, and any fruit in the house that's not fresh enough to eat anymore.

I also keep a big water bottle in the fridge with tea bags in there - sort of a sun tea - with green tea and some sort of fruit flavor. I used to add sugar but I don't always now.