Help Me!!!!

Options
OMG...not this again. I am so frustrated with my lack of control over food. I think I have strayed so far that I don't see food as fuel anymore...just what affect it has on me. It makes me high, it makes me happy, it makes me feel comforted...I can't get back to a level of satisfaction where my efforts are enough to keep me going another day. I feel like I need to take a break from food and get some "clean time". Is there a food rehab?? I have to find that place inside of me again...I know it's there.

Replies

• spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    exercise releases endorphins and causes happiness. Are you exercising?
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    I have that same problem! I do so well and then I take a flying leap off the wagon and struggle to find my way back. Exersice helps sometimes, but I never seem to feel that high that other people talk about.
    I wish I had some words of advice about how I get back on track. I don't really know what I do, I just start again
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Are you dieting or changing your lifestyle habits? We all veer off the path - its what you do to get yourself back on that counts. What is your motivation for losing weight? Try to focus on that and how you feel on the good days. Also - most of all - continue to document your foods and activity. It is a great way to get real with yourself. Hope that helps.
  • allison_joan
    allison_joan Posts: 115
    Options
    I used to have this same problem! I ate just because I enjoyed eating like ALL THE TIME but if you have people you live with who can support you and help you control you're eating it really helps. Get rid of all the foods that you feel "bad" eating afterwards and then you won't have that temptation to eat unhealthy. Tell someone you can trust and confide in everything you are about to eat and have them tell you if you NEED it. Sometimes it hurts to hear but sometimes you just need someone else to tell you, "hey, you don't NEED that, you just ate!"

Good luck!
  • napanda69
    napanda69 Posts: 22
    Options
    I do P90X at least 4 days per week
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    We get it. You're rolling along fine and out of the blue, those cravings and binges just come up and bite you in the behind sometimes. I think for me, acceptance is a really big part of changing the way I see food and myself. Specifically, I've finally accepted that I will pretty much be on a diet for the rest of my life, even after I've lost the weight. I'll have to keep it off, right? Define 'diet' so I can accept that too? Well...for me it means that I will be actively dieting more days than I'm not. When I fall off the wagon, or stray a little with an Angus burger, after perhaps not eating meat for 2 weeks, I accept that it's happened and get dieting again. I accept that a bit of a binge might have slowed things down a bit. But because I'm on this diet thing for the rest of my life, it doesn't really matter. I don't have a deadline. Slow and steady will win this race. Paradoxically, it's making it a lot easier for me to stick to it. Go figure. There's more than one way to get to a destination. Yours is the best way. For you. Mine is the best way. For me. Don't forget Exercise. If for no other reason than it just plain makes you feel good.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It isn't foolproof, but I've found that the more I read about nutrition, the better I am about eating right. Try reading the book Food Rules by Michael Pollan. It is a quick read and very intuitive, but really helpful!
  • napanda69
    Options
    Such good advice all, thank you.
    I do all of those things...yadda, yadda, yadda.
    I have a goal
    I cleaned out my house, I just end up grabbing the trigger foods when I feel the urge.
    Something breaks down in my head and the positive reinforcement goes out the window.
    I just want to get back to that place where I could look back a few days and see some progress.
  • itsandrad
    itsandrad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya sista! I feel like a coke addict when it comes to food... except we can't just not eat... you have to eat. I struggle with this everyday, food has a HOLD on me that I can't figure out. Exercise is really great and it helps on the days I go to the gym. I don't want to "ruin" my work at the gym so I tend not to eat as much.

Here's what I did... I'm strongest in the morning... so I try to plan my day... eat 6 small meals a day in stead of 3 big ones... get it all ready in the morning... make serving size fruits and veggies in ziplock baggies so they are right there when you "just want to eat"

GET RID OF ALL THE JUNK IN YOUR HOUSE... I don't care if you have kids and those are the foods the kids eat... they don't need them either. if its not in your house its not a weakness for you.

Figure out what your weakness is and try to find something you can have that is the same texture or close taste... like if its ice cream, take a yogurt and pop it in the freezer... you would be surprized how good that is! frozen grapes are good... you just gotta trick your body/ mind into getting over that craving.

Hang a pic of you at your biggest on your fridge. when you want to eat and eat and eat then just look at that and maybe even go for a walk
    CHEW GUM
    GET BUSY... Do something else.
    You CAN DO THIS... you will conquer this You have a great support team with this website! GOOD LUCK
  • napanda69
    Options
    Thanks Holly...that sums it up pretty well. I might just need to readjust my definitions!:tongue:
  • banchubob
    banchubob Posts: 25
    Options
    I agree with spacecase76. Nothing make me feel better then a long trail run! Just keep logging everything... good and bad and you will get there
  • EmmaR31
    EmmaR31 Posts: 184
    Options
    I know what you mean about food not being about fuel but about a whole lot of other things. I am loosely following the Atkins diet and just cutting out "bad" carbs for two days, so no rice, pasta, white bread, sugar, has really helped me put a tiny bit of space between the death choke food had me in.

Of course, this is only day 3 so I might be talking rubbish here, but so far it has helped :)
  • jamiefire7
    jamiefire7 Posts: 50
    Options
    I am the saammmeeee way! It drives me nuts. It is really nice to know there are people on here with the same weakness as me :) We can do it!!!