Need Arm Workout!

Options
AGxx11
AGxx11 Posts: 13 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Good morning everyone! I hope your having a wonderful day! I'm going to the gym later on today and I wanna focus on my arms or I should say upper body. It's my most self conscious part of my body. I never know how to put a workout together. I'm going to my local YMCA gym today and they have machines, and free weights. I'm nervous to use some of the machines because I don't really know how. I really need your help with tips and advice on upper body workouts. Mainly for fat loss but also for muscle gain. Maybe what you guys do or your favorite exercises that make you sore!
Thanks guys!!!

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Strong lifts 5 by 5 or Starting Strength are both good, or check out Ice Cream Fitness, all three are good novice lifting programs. I am doing strong lifts myself well on and off. And honestly you do not want to be super sore not as a beginner anyways you want to make progress.
    I am far from a expert just sharing what I have found to be helpful for myself. I squatted and dead-lifted once till I was super sore I could barely walk for a week my thighs hurt even when my wife touched them. Does no good to get super sore just to have to take a week off for resting. But that has been my experience. Of course I am a bit older so my recovery does take a bit longer.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest taking time this week/weekend to look into lifting programs instead of piecing together exercises the day of. In addition to the ones listed above there are free programs on Bodybuilding.com. I also suggest possibly checking out New Rules of Lifting for Women because the book does a great job of teaching you about lifting.

For today I would do something like this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/new-year-start-here-7-day-beginner-trainer.html

Here's the first day in the gym on that plan:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/new-year-start-here-7-day-beginner-trainer-day-3.html

There are videos for everything they want you to do, that way you can go in with confidence. :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
  • AGxx11
    AGxx11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp thanks so much!!!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I highly suggest taking time this week/weekend to look into lifting programs instead of piecing together exercises the day of. In addition to the ones listed above there are free programs on Bodybuilding.com. I also suggest possibly checking out New Rules of Lifting for Women because the book does a great job of teaching you about lifting.

For today I would do something like this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/new-year-start-here-7-day-beginner-trainer.html

Here's the first day in the gym on that plan:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/new-year-start-here-7-day-beginner-trainer-day-3.html

There are videos for everything they want you to do, that way you can go in with confidence. :)
    usmcmp wrote: »

Good programs to get your feet wet and introduce you to the gym.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting series are pretty good reads. They are great at teaching you the basics and giving you a structured plan (I have read for women and for life). Not only does it discuss training, but also on nutrition to get you a complete package.

Other good programs: Starting Strength, Strong Lift, Strong Curves, Ice Cream Fitness.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    As with anything - a plan will go a long way. Any plan - just adjust as you progress.

Google exercise routine for women - there are tons of routines available online. Read reviews, then pick one fitting the equipment of your gym. Once you know what exercises you will be doing - look them up on YouTube to watch how to do them properly so you don't injure yourself. This way you'll come to the gym prepared knowing exactly which machines to use, how, and for how many reps.

"exercises that make you sore" - if you are just starting out - any exercise will make you sore. Then your body will adapt and you will need to change things up to progress - change reps, change weight, change intensity, change exercise types, change equipment, change rest time, change pause time. That's why I recommended to look up an exercise program - most of them have either progressive overload built in, or rep changes, or resubstitution of exercises.