Lunches that don`t need refrigeration or heating up

Options
kikiallain
kikiallain Posts: 151 Member
Hello All,

I am going away on a work trip next week and will be staying in a hotel. I want to be able to save the most money by bringing lunches with me. Unfortunetly the hotel were staying at doesn`t have a fridge or microwave in the rooms. So I am looking for suggestions on lunch ideas that would be filling enough and that I could make in a hotel room (ex: peanut butter and banana sandwich...)

Thanks

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    tuna packets? not the canned kind....they don't have to be refridgerated....
  • LyssaPearl
    LyssaPearl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Tuna or salmon in those little pouches are awesome, grab some condiment packets to mix in, and crackers or pita...there you go!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Bump - I'll be doing some things where I'll have to pack stuff too, so I want to see what suggestions you have.

I'm thinking....
    Tuna fish (could bring a can opener and light mayo/mustard packets you pick up somewhere) with Kavli crispbread and an apple (or other fruit)

That's all I can think of though... Hope you get lots of ideas :-)
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Oh ya, the tuna packets don't need a can opener!!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Tuna lunch kits, fruits, whole grain crackers, whole wheat bread, pb&j, raisins, protein meal bars, protein shakes.
  • charleswcole
    Options
    They also have chicken in a pouch.. I take them to school.. you could put mayo in but not too much! ^_^
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You can check with the hotel and see if they have a micro in the lobby that you could use, alot of them do if they have some form of breakfast in the am...also, any kind of fruit, and of course the packaged fish, but have you thought about taking a little ice chest to keep lunch meats and such in...you can always get free ice for it at the hotel!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Take a small foldable cooler and fill with ice from their ice machine and use for refrig.
    I use hard salami at 100 cals for 2oz w/470 sodium....string cheese (put in cooler or ziplock baggie with ice)..
    ..fresh fruit ( I love fruit with peanut or almond butter.)
    carrots/veggie sticks...
    .special K crackers are great as well > #/serving and taste great.
    Flatout bread to make wraps.
    Nuts/granola / trail mix

As other have said pouched tuna or salmon with condiment packets ( you can get mayo/mustard/ketchup/ and relish at most convenience stores that sell hotdogs). :-)
  • ShinySpork
    ShinySpork Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit, nuts, apples, bananas and the little cans of V8 might be good. Certain cherry tomatoes aren't supposed to be refridgerated (it'll say on the packaging), so that may work.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Bump. Great suggestions!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    First thing I would do is call the hotel and see if they have a microwave available for guest use somewhere in the hotel. This usually is wherever they might be serving breakfast (in the lobby area). If that is available, you could always use that. It opens up a lot more possibilites as to what you can bring for lunch.

My suggestions:
    - sandwiches (PB&J, veggies and hummus)
    - salads (especially grain salads like tabbouleh or pasta salad or potato salad w/ vinagrette based dressings)
    - meal replacement bars (not the top choice, but if you got to do it once or twice, it won't kill you)
    - UHT milk/soymilk/almond milk (Horizon Organic and Silk Soymilk brands come to mind - they make little lunch sized ones)
    - fruits and veggies
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Apple with peanut butter (fills me, and I just do half an apple).
    granola bars with a fruit like a banana.
    Have a couple snacks instea of what u might consider a lunch.
    instant oatmeal that just needs hot water.
    there's those instant noodles too but I haven't looked at them since beginning mfp so not sure of calorie content.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    A lot of non heatable and non cooling stuff is going to have some sort of preservatives in it. But for one week you should be fine.

Fiber one bars

Cereal w/ powdered milk(mixed with water)

Protein powder and powdered milk

Fruit galore

Carrots

Dried cereal might be good

Granola

Dried fruit

Tuna packets

chicken packets

Pita's (put chicken and stuff in)

PB banana sandwich (if you make it on an english muffin its lower in calorie)

Bagels with jam packets or something like that

Melba toast with tuna or chicken

You could also stop at a convenient store and pick up some cheese sticks when you are out and about to boost your protein and switch it up. you could keep a few extras in the ice bucket in your hotel room.

I like the idea of the cooler. Smart idea and will give you more choices.
  • kikiallain
    kikiallain Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So i`ve decided to bring a small cooler to put stuff like milk, carrots and things like that!! Thank you all for your suggestion! You made this really easy :)
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump