Hey can you guys check i'm doing this right?

Options
Hey, im after just losing a little podgy belly in order to start going to the gym and toning up, i was told to go on this low carb high protein diet, to get my body into ketosis? Have a scan through my food habits and exercise and any pointers would be welcomed :) Im a keen sportsman and play football (soccer)and golf regulary but the food side of things im not so great at. Much appreciated.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Why not start the gym right now? It will get you to your goal quicker.
  • Davey789
    Davey789 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    well i was told by someone in fitness that i need to get rid of the excess fat before i start working out with weights etc etc and to stick with cardio until then? x
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do cardio at the gym.i have a belly and i swim
  • Davey789
    Options
    the cardio side of things seems fine, i bike ride alot, play football and golf alot. Its mainly making sure i eat the right foods to make this work?
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    you got it! make sure u eat your calories and do exercise.
  • brandym1978
    Options
    If you are trying to get into ketosis, you need to reduce your carbs by alot. Less than 20 a day for the first several weeks. Lots of vegetables, protein, cheese, eggs. Stay away from dairy, fruit, bread/pasta.
  • Davey789
    Options
    well on average im eating under 50 carbs a day and between 180 and 220g of protein a day?
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you that is wrong. Putting on muscle will help you burn more fat. Cardio is good too but you really need both. I work out with a trainer twice a week and he is adament about me doing my weight lifting.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    The only thing I noticed was you need more veggies!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    My only comment is where is the water? You have to drink the water to stay hydrated and flush the system. Also, one caution from another on a high protein diet. You must keep a good amount of fiber in your diet or supplement. Protein without fiber will result in a GIANT clog in the pipes.

This is very common with people on high protein diets and many find out the hard way.

Good Luck!
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    the cardio side of things seems fine, i bike ride alot, play football and golf alot. Its mainly making sure i eat the right foods to make this work?

Be careful with prolonged exercise. People doing low carb and do cardio for long periods of time have been known to pass out.
  • Davey789
    Options
    so what should i eat with plenty of fibre in it then? cheers for the advice people
  • Davey789
    Options
    oh and i drink plenty of water, i just always forget to log it on here for some reason.
  • GeorgiaPrune
    Options
    Aloha,
    If you are waiting to drop some weight before you get into the gym I would suggest an aerobics class. Have you thought about Zumba? I've read that you can burn 500-1000 calories per class. I've been to Zumba a handful of times in the last few months and it's a fantastic workout for both men and women. Good luck to you.