Non-soy, sugar-free protein powder

Can anyone recommend a protein powder that is not soy-based and has no sugar?

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Usually any whey isolate will have no sugar (or soy). I use Impact Whey Isolate, but there are a ton out there...Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize, Isopure, etc.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Go for a whey based powder. I use general health
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I like the Vega One products because, tasty. There is natural sugar from the fruits. No soy.
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    side note: please consume at least 1,000 calories a day

I do. I've been bad at logging in the last 10 days or so (sick), but I normally log accurately and have no problem getting up to 1500-1600 calories a day. I'm just having a problem getting enough protein without eating a ton of meat, eggs, nuts, etc., but I also need to watch sugar because I'm insulin-resistant.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited October 2015
    your protein goal is 94 = why?
    are you a body builder?
    a normal girl does not need that much
    google: minimum protein required calculator
    I like to try to double my minimum per day but never succeed.
    http://www.webefit.com/Calculators/Calc_protein.html
    get those 25 grams of fiber a day

I aim for 100g a day - combined with resistance work higher protein helps retain muscle when in a calorie deficit so you don't end up skinny fat.

It is a fine amount for a 'normal' girl - whatever in the world that is.

In fact according to that link someone who does exercise should be hitting around 90/100g a day. So she probably DOES need that much.

Also I find higher protein helps with my satiety when cutting.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited October 2015
    stircrzy wrote: »
    Shakeology I drink it everyday. I also highly recommend the chocolate.

We don't like coaches here - and affiliate links are forbidden, please remove it.

Shakeology is overpriced protein powder. totally not needed and such a waste of money.

I like optimum nutrition and MYProtein - though that last one might be UK only.
  • MollyJE19
    Not a body builder. I'm 52 and just trying not to lose muscle as I lose weight. It could be that my macros are not set properly. If I decrease the protein I have to increase carbs or fat or both. I'm leery about increasing them because of the insulin-resistance, high cholesterol and triglycerides. I could just eat fewer calories but I've learned that generally, if I try to go much below 1500, I'm so hungry that I binge at night. I'm not sure what my solution is. I have lost 20 pounds in the past year and have done all sorts of playing around with macros.
  • Iron_Feline
    MollyJE19 wrote: »
    Not a body builder. I'm 52 and just trying not to lose muscle as I lose weight. It could be that my macros are not set properly. If I decrease the protein I have to increase carbs or fat or both. I'm leery about increasing them because of the insulin-resistance, high cholesterol and triglycerides. I could just eat fewer calories but I've learned that generally, if I try to go much below 1500, I'm so hungry that I binge at night. I'm not sure what my solution is. I have lost 20 pounds in the past year and have done all sorts of playing around with macros.

Your protein level is fine - even going by the link that person provided. I wouldn't change it based on one person, you've lost 20lbs - so it's clearly working for you.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited October 2015
    you are really low fat - the brain needs fat
    focus on healthy fats
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20477647,00.html

Wow - you are all sorts of judgemental, maybe she has a reason for the low fat. How about just answering her question instead of diary stalking her and making unwanted comments.

Also you are wrong on the protein comments so...
  • Iron_Feline
    edited October 2015
    97 grams of protein is not absolutely necessary for her daily
    extreme low fat can be dangerous

She's aiming for 67g of fat - in what world is that low?

You have no idea what you are going on about. The protein is not absolutely necessary - but it's certainly not overly high for someone trying to lose weight. Even according to the link YOU posted.

• Iron_Feline
    i saw her taking in as little as 12 grams of fat per day
    even though her goal is high
    trying to help her

She said she has been logging badly due to being sick - if you go back further she hits her macros almost every day.

She is fine. Her goals are fine - please stop telling people they are eating too much protein - 100g a day is a great level for a woman losing weight to aim for as it helps retain muscle mass and often makes you feel fuller for longer. Esp with a calorie goal of 1500-1600.

You are muddying the waters with unasked for and frankly poor advice, that is truly not helpful, esp when the op has explained why her diary is not great for the last couple of weeks.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 597 Member
    Op, About Time protein is not soy based and is sweetened with Stevia, and it's pretty tasty.
  • MollyJE19
    I'll try once more. My diary for the past few weeks is not typical. I am not deficient in calories or fat or carbs. I've just been logging crappy. If you want to see how I more typically eat, look at my diet from 9/9 - 9/14. I'm usually way over in fat and I'm trying to make sure I get enough protein while not going over my fat macro every day. I'm not afraid of fat - I eat nuts and avocados and olive oil - but I'm particularly trying to avoid saturated fat. It's hard to hit 90 grams of protein a day without eating a lot of meat, eggs, and cheese, all of which contain saturated fat. That's why I thought a protein powder without sugar or too many carbs, would be a good alternative. I'm also trying to cut out most of the junky snacks, which I end up eating at night because I'm not eating my 1500 calories spread out evenly throughout the day.
  • Iron_Feline
    I'll try once more. My diary for the past few weeks is not typical. I am not deficient in calories or fat or carbs. I've just been logging crappy. If you want to see how I more typically eat, look at my diet from 9/9 - 9/14. I'm usually way over in fat and I'm trying to make sure I get enough protein while not going over my fat macro every day. I'm not afraid of fat - I eat nuts and avocados and olive oil - but I'm particularly trying to avoid saturated fat. It's hard to hit 90 grams of protein a day without eating a lot of meat, eggs, and cheese, all of which contain saturated fat. That's why I thought a protein powder without sugar or too many carbs, would be a good alternative. I'm also trying to cut out most of the junky snacks, which I end up eating at night because I'm not eating my 1500 calories spread out evenly throughout the day.

Op - you're doing great, ignore catscats222

I use protein powder to get my protein levels up - it's great as a boost, when you're tired or just want to hit your numbers. :bigsmile:
  • alexjvolk
    alexjvolk Posts: 22 Member

I really like OH Yeah whey protein isolate. Mixes really well. Very little sugar <2 g.
  • MollyJE19
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.