Saving calories

Options
Hi. Can anyone tell me if it is ok to save calories up during the week in order to eat a bit more on one day, or have a few drinks. Many thanks,

Replies

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I know many people who do this. There's nothing wrong with it. 3500 deficit each week is a pound loss no matter how you split them. Good luck!
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    There are several people on the forums that do this so they can enjoy an evening out on the weekends. :)
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I routinely do this for weekends. Just track your weekly deficit so you still stay on track.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    sure, just make sure whatever you eat over is what you stacked up.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do it.

On the Android app, and maybe other, you can view your average nutritional information over 7 days. My goal is to keep my 7 day average under my goal.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I do this. I keep my weekly daily average below my limits. This has been working for me.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I never thought about this... Ohhhh so need to do this lol
  • esnider211
    esnider211 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do! Lots of drinks on Friday!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I do this. Can't do it to extremes, because then I find running really hard.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I never thought about this... Ohhhh so need to do this lol

I hadnt either...
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yea some people look at weekly calorie net vs daily. Its more about what you like best. I tried the weekly net but i ended up undereating by like 500 calories. So I stick to a daily deficit :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    it's fine. Your body doesn't know what time it is, or what day of the week it is. If it has more cals than it needs at any given moment, it'll store the excess. If it doesn't it will burn fat/muscle. The body does this on an hourly basis, daily basis, weekly basis, etc. It's in constant flux.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I find that if you put your calories into a high-yield savings account, once per year you actually can earn yourself a free Blizzard from DQ.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Every week. During the week (M,T,W and Th) I get 1350 cals a day. Friday, 1600 cals. Saturday and Sunday 1725 cals.

For a long time, I tried to do the same amount every day and it was a disaster because I would go over on the weekend, give up and then have to start over. I FINALLY figured out this is what I need for myself and my life and it has worked well so far. The way I figured up my cals, is I multiplied my 1500 cals a day (based on my MFP goal) by 7 and then divided them up throughout the week based on my "typical" weeks.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I find that if you put your calories into a high-yield savings account, once per year you actually can earn yourself a free Blizzard from DQ.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. I save my exercise calories so I can have dessert on Friday night (cards night). I am able to enjoy birthdays and holidays by doing this too.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I have never thought about this - guess I figured you had to start all over from scratch the next day even if you had some left over from the previous day. A rollover calorie plan - sounds wonderful!!
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

This is fantastic way of looking at it lol!

I asked the same question a couple of days ago because I workout 4-5 days a week but the days I don't I'm extremely sedentary. I had trouble keeping within my cals on my sedentary days. Yesterday and today I've been saving up a few hundred cals to disperse evenly on those days. But what I've been told is to be extra vigilant with logging food. Make sure you're weighing properly and being honest with yourself. Good luck!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Many of us bank calories during the week for an indulgence at the weekend! I do it constantly :)

• jkeegan1
    jkeegan1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the advice, some made me laugh :). Your comments have been very helpful, and I have to say, it is a relief to know that I can do this. Again, thanks, and good luck to all of you with your journey xx