Anyone else have days when they feel absolutely starving and miserable?

Options
I have had a couple of these days this week and I'm as miserable as sin!

I'm on 1590 calls so I shouldn't moan!

Anyone else have days like this? I'm so hungry and actually feel weak!

Replies

• Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Omg someone put it into words! I have those days occasionally and it seems like nothing will make them better. I found a good method that works for me. I have a snack that will stick with me (cheese, hummus, protein, etc) and then drink water like it's my job. I get bored of plain water so I add Crystal Lite. But I find that when I'm a bit dehydrated, I get really hungry. I'm really hungry today and I think it's because I didn't drink much water the last few days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I have had a couple of these days this week and I'm as miserable as sin!

I'm on 1590 calls so I shouldn't moan!

Anyone else have days like this? I'm so hungry and actually feel weak!

What's your weekly weight loss goal? With less than 50 pounds to lose, consider cutting it down to 1 # per week if you haven't already.

I get 1500 calories before exercise, but I have to exercise in order to get enough extra calories to not be hungry.

However, premenstrually, my appetite goes up and I eat at maintenance for a few days.

Do you focus on satiating foods?

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Yes. Some women feel that way a couple days pre-TOM, and they eat at maintenance for those couple days so that (1) they feel better and (2) avert binge potential. Hope you feel better soon!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Even at 2100 I have days like that. I make sure I am making choices that are filling and allow myself a bit more to eat (200 calories is often enough, but I'll add up to maintenance).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The week before my period is absolutely awful. It wasn't too bad while I was losing but now that I've lost the weight I sometimes end up eating 4000 calories just to feel satisfied (and by that I mean not feeling weak and dizzy from hunger).

But yeah even apart from that, sometimes I just need to eat at maintenance (I try to keep a deficit most days to make up for that week before my period).
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I get those days randomly - like I'll be doing fine with my intake and then all the sudden it's not enough. However - I noticed right after that I get "the whoosh" - a sudden drop of like 2-3 pounds. I started thinking of those days as my body having a last ditch effort to hold on to the weight.
    This is different than pms though - I agree with above, sometimes a day or two of eating at maintenance at that time can make a world of difference!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Ishii19 wrote: »
    I get those days randomly - like I'll be doing fine with my intake and then all the sudden it's not enough. However - I noticed right after that I get "the whoosh" - a sudden drop of like 2-3 pounds. I started thinking of those days as my body having a last ditch effort to hold on to the weight.
    This is different than pms though - I agree with above, sometimes a day or two of eating at maintenance at that time can make a world of difference!

I've noticed this, too. Glad to know it's not my imagination. :)
  • EKoehler1
    EKoehler1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wish those days were on occasion for me, but I almost always feel that way. I combat it by eating a lot of low calorie, high-volume food such as grapes, apples or carrots but even then, it never truly goes away. Remember to drink tons of water.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    EKoehler1 wrote: »
    I wish those days were on occasion for me, but I almost always feel that way. I combat it by eating a lot of low calorie, high-volume food such as grapes, apples or carrots but even then, it never truly goes away. Remember to drink tons of water.

There's a chance your goal is too low if you feel like that every day. I had about the same number of pounds to lose as you do when I first started. I set mine up to lose 2 pounds per week and that was just way too low to sustain. I switched to one pound per week and it made a huge difference.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    EKoehler1 wrote: »

There's a chance your goal is too low if you feel like that every day. I had about the same number of pounds to lose as you do when I first started. I set mine up to lose 2 pounds per week and that was just way too low to sustain. I switched to one pound per week and it made a huge difference.

Ditto.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That was me yesterday. I wanted to eat my keyboard. I had to make a deal with myself to throw in an extra 30 mins of exercise in exchange for that banana pancake with PB on it that I really really wanted.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    The first couple days but, now it's like "i'm kinda hungry but it can wait an hour until my scheduled lunchtime" then the scheduled lunch time rolls around and I completely forget I was hungry in the first place.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I find that I am hungry on days after I eat too much sugar or have alcoholic drinks.

• glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    thi
    Ishii19 wrote: »

s is me exactly, and it is almost always about 2-3 days before my period, I want ALL THE FOOD. My period happens, thankfully mine usually only lasts about 2-3 days, and then without fail I have a 2lb whoosh about the day after my period. So basically while I feel like that whole week is shot, so far regardless of what I feel like is crazy eating I still lose and go back to my normal eating. I shoot for between 1400-and 1600 calories, which should give me a 1 to 1.5lb loss.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I definitely get hungry days. Not often, but once or twice a month. Sometimes I know it's because I'm premenstrual, or because I've upped my exercise, and sometimes they're a total mystery.

If I'm truly, genuinely hungry, I eat, regardless of whether I'm over calories or not.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was like that almost every day and I couldn't stand it. So I lowered my weekly goal and I feel a lot better. I still have those days and I let myself eat whatever I want. Last week after about 4 days I just couldn't deal with "healthy" eating and had a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a Dr. Pepper. Sometimes I think it's more about adjusting to healthier foods. For me, that is. I still watched my calories, but just having something so satisfying helped me get through it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Rarely, if ever.

If I have the urge to eat between meals, I have a cup of coffee or drink some herbal tea and I am fine.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I only have those days the day after I have to carb cycle. I'll be glad when my doc stops requiring me to do that.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    I find that I am hungry on days after I eat too much sugar or have alcoholic drinks.

Oh, yes, that too! One of the reasons I seldom drink - I want to eat more both while I am drinking and the next day.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I were hungry and weak, I'd eat something. That's not how healthy people should feel.

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, so hunger is almost never an issue. Weakness, when I have had that, is always related to some kind of illness.