Mouse Potato vs Diet Math II

Options
Hello,

I watched a show on "The Discovery Channel" the other day. It was about people who weighed extreme amounts. From 800 to 1200 pounds. Definite heavy hitters if you know what I mean.

To a tee they all seemed to be in denial about how they got to where they were at. Some said it was genetics and others, well had no explanation at all. One man became angry and exclaimed " I am so tired of people asking my wife if our grocery bill was $1200.00...Its not like that at all! I never ate anymore than you do!".

As I sat their, the pompass *kitten* that I am, passing judgment on this poor slob. I caught my own reflection in some glass. There I was looking like an Alan Hale (The Skipper) stand in for the next Gilligan's Island reunion. I wondered what would I say if I was asked how it all came about. To which I would have replied " It's not like that....I never ate anymore than you!"

Are we all just like the proverbial frog in the sauce pan on the stove being brought to a slow boil. When the pants get tight we buy a bigger size and vow to get around to it! Our own eyes deceive us when we look in the mirror thinking that our shirt tail out covers that aircraft carrier sized butt.

It was then I was reminded of another line in the movie Red planet where Val Kilmer says to his crew mates," Is this the moment my algebra teacher told me about where math would save my life."

Well yes, I am proud to say that yes this is that moment and yes you are here because of all the math you have ignored all of these years.

Understanding the math removes all the guilt and shame almost magically if you will just stop and think about it. So bear with me here!

I will use myself as an example:

I was 124 pounds overweight which represents 434,000 calories. (124 x 3500)

This didn't happen overnight. It took nine years or 108 months or 468 weeks or 3285 days.

This means that I ingested 4018 calories a month above my dietary guide line.
(Salad,Entree,and Desert and Cocktails or Wine at the Monthly Sales Dinner )

This means that I ingested 927 calories a week above my dietary guide line.
(Double Quarter Pounder with cheese and large Fry and Pie at the guys Friday lunch out)

This means that I ingested 132 calories a day above my dietary guide line.
(Diet Pepsi and chips or snickers bar for the late afternoon pick me up)

So you see its all about the math and why you are here. The really good news is that it works in reverse. If you will adhere to guidelines and balance your food intake so as to not spike your blood sugar you will loose weight magically almost at a predetermined rate and arrive at your target weight at or before the prescribed time.

434,000 calories divided by 500 = 868 days or 124 weeks or 28.56 months or 2.38 years

My date is April 8th 2011

I am never tempted because I think about that date.

Is that snickers bar worth another day?
Is that Quarter Pounder worth another week?
Is that Olive Garden Dinner worth another Month?

Plus there's more as Chef Tony would say. I have lost 15 lbs. in 40 days which represents 52,500 calories or a whopping 32,500 calories above the 20,000 projected.

So you ask what does this mean? Well it means that my target date adjusted for the moment is now (32,500 divided by 500 =65 days) moved up to January 24, 2011

You don't need motivation when you have solid facts and figures. You either want it or you don't.
Do what the contract says and you will be the weight you want to be when it says or before.

Replies

• MadTurtle
    Options
    Hello,

I watched a show on "The Discovery Channel" the other day. It was about people who weighed extreme amounts. From 800 to 1200 pounds. Definite heavy hitters if you know what I mean.

To a tee they all seemed to be in denial about how they got to where they were at. Some said it was genetics and others, well had no explanation at all. One man became angry and exclaimed " I am so tired of people asking my wife if our grocery bill was $1200.00...Its not like that at all! I never ate anymore than you do!".

As I sat their, the pompass *kitten* that I am, passing judgment on this poor slob. I caught my own reflection in some glass. There I was looking like an Alan Hale (The Skipper) stand in for the next Gilligan's Island reunion. I wondered what would I say if I was asked how it all came about. To which I would have replied " It's not like that....I never ate anymore than you!"

Are we all just like the proverbial frog in the sauce pan on the stove being brought to a slow boil. When the pants get tight we buy a bigger size and vow to get around to it! Our own eyes deceive us when we look in the mirror thinking that our shirt tail out covers that aircraft carrier sized butt.

It was then I was reminded of another line in the movie Red planet where Val Kilmer says to his crew mates," Is this the moment my algebra teacher told me about where math would save my life."

Well yes, I am proud to say that yes this is that moment and yes you are here because of all the math you have ignored all of these years.

Understanding the math removes all the guilt and shame almost magically if you will just stop and think about it. So bear with me here!

I will use myself as an example:

I was 124 pounds overweight which represents 434,000 calories. (124 x 3500)

This didn't happen overnight. It took nine years or 108 months or 468 weeks or 3285 days.

This means that I ingested 4018 calories a month above my dietary guide line.
    (Salad,Entree,and Desert and Cocktails or Wine at the Monthly Sales Dinner )

This means that I ingested 927 calories a week above my dietary guide line.
    (Double Quarter Pounder with cheese and large Fry and Pie at the guys Friday lunch out)

This means that I ingested 132 calories a day above my dietary guide line.
    (Diet Pepsi and chips or snickers bar for the late afternoon pick me up)

So you see its all about the math and why you are here. The really good news is that it works in reverse. If you will adhere to guidelines and balance your food intake so as to not spike your blood sugar you will loose weight magically almost at a predetermined rate and arrive at your target weight at or before the prescribed time.

434,000 calories divided by 500 = 868 days or 124 weeks or 28.56 months or 2.38 years

My date is April 8th 2011

I am never tempted because I think about that date.

Is that snickers bar worth another day?
    Is that Quarter Pounder worth another week?
    Is that Olive Garden Dinner worth another Month?

Plus there's more as Chef Tony would say. I have lost 15 lbs. in 40 days which represents 52,500 calories or a whopping 32,500 calories above the 20,000 projected.

So you ask what does this mean? Well it means that my target date adjusted for the moment is now (32,500 divided by 500 =65 days) moved up to January 24, 2011

You don't need motivation when you have solid facts and figures. You either want it or you don't.
    Do what the contract says and you will be the weight you want to be when it says or before.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    wow... i'm speechless:happy:
  • ajanieva
    Options
    WOW, is right. I was not very good this weekend and I feel like I undid all the good of last week. The math makes sense to me. 4 bag weekends a month aren't forgivable, I am trully responsible for my sloth and glutany and the math proves it. Thank you so much for posting this.:noway:
  • jaybroave
    jaybroave Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    it's so easy to not look at the facts when you're not ready to REALLY change. i feel enlightened and a little dumb for not using common sense to figure it out. thank you for posting this!
  • grbblystone
    Options
    I am printing this to carry with me. WOW!!! It is hard to find a way to make this big mouth speechless, but you did!!! I owe ya one.:noway:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,993 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Missed it the first time!

I'm adding this link to the "Links in MFP you want to read again and again" thread (it's sticky under General)

FYI everyone, I keep adding on to that thread, but you may need to scroll. Maybe I need "Part Two".

The link is below my ticker.
    bump.gif
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I found this post today and felt it is worth reading.

:flowerforyou:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    what surprises me the most.. is that it only takes 132 calories a day of overeating to get where you are

132 calories is almost nothing... it really doesnt take much ...
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    what surprises me the most.. is that it only takes 132 calories a day of overeating to get where you are

132 calories is almost nothing... it really doesnt take much ...

Agreed. How eye opening!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    thbumpphotobucketcaza_roll.gif
  • mutkin
    mutkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I love this! I did the same thing a few months ago and realized that I'd gained approximately 1 pound a month since college. I broke that down further and realized that it was the equivalent of 100 extra calories a day since college. That seems like nothing! 100 measley little calories...but boy does it add up over a number of years.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only math nut here. It really helps to put it all in perspective.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    bumpanimatedxxanimexx1424photobucke.gif
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I hate math, but i :heart: this post. So well stated.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    This is an old post - but I just discovered it (it was linked to in another thread) and the math geek in my loves it! Bump!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    :wink: Hi, boi!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Bump - worth reading as we move into 2011!!!

Interesting to note that the OP had deactivated his account. I pray that means he/she met their goal well ahead of the dates projected in the thread.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    That is scary how easy it is...you don't have to fall off the wagon, you can just sway a little for too long...wow
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Bump