Is 8pm too late to exercise?

Options
I try to get my cardio in early in the day but today that has been impossible. The earliest I can do anything is 8pm. I go to bed at 11pm. Will this be a problem?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In and of itself? No.

I suppose for some people being that active relatively close to bed time might cause sleep disruptions, etc but that would be a personal issue that you'd have to see for yourself if it affects you.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Probably not. Although, from personal experience, working out gets my adrenaline and whatnot going. It's great for waking a person up, lol. I'm not sure I'd be able to workout for 45 mins- 1 hour and then go to bed an hour later.

But give it a try. It's a day out of your schedule. See how you like it.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    for me personally, I don't have a time to work out, I just get in where I fit in. But I do notice that after my work outs, I have excess energy for about 2-3hours, so if I finish my work out around 10pm, I find myself sleeping around 1-2am. SO if the 11pm sleep time is strict for you, I wouldn't suggest it, but that's just my personal experience.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nope. As long as you can sleep when you need to it is fine.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Night runs are great. I've gone as late as 11pm a few times. Shower then bed. Some people get all wired up though so YMMV.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I take about an hour to wind down after working out and then go to bed. No problems here.
  • Saliang
    Saliang Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not a fan of waking up early on work days to work out. I exercise on work days anytime between 8 and 9pm. I enjoy it, gym is not so busy and it relaxes me after busy day.
  • looneymom
    looneymom Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I exercise every night at 9 or later then wind down for about an hour then go to bed...seems to work for me...not everyone is the same I am not a morning person though more alert at night.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    just give it a whirl...for some people, exercising that close to bed would be problematic in RE to getting good sleep...for other it wouldn't be...there's no universally correct answer to your question.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Nope. Totally fine.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I start my last workout at 8 pm, it does give me excess energy but I get to sleep around 11-12 no problem.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Only if it interrupts your sleep. Like the timing of eating, timing of exercise is purely a personal choice and doing it at a time that suits you will make it easier to be consistent with it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My martial arts class goes from 7-9 pm. It isn't a problem for me. I get to bed usually around 10pm those nights and am up at 5:30 every morning.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Not a problem. Lots of nights I go to the gym from 10:30-12 after my girlfriend goes to bed.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    depends on how you feel after exercise.

I personally work out around 8-9 and when i get home i take a really hot shower and i'm ready to hit the hay.

I know some people who working out at night makes them "hyped up".
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! I love to be at the gym when it's mostly empty.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    just give it a whirl...for some people, exercising that close to bed would be problematic in RE to getting good sleep...for other it wouldn't be...there's no universally correct answer to your question.

My thoughts exactly. Exercise actually makes me sleep better. Hard lifting sessions do anyway. Not sure on cardio.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't ever work out until 7:30 pm or later. I can't fit exercise in until my kiddos are in bed. I have no trouble sleeping after a hard cardio session. I usually get done with my workouts by 9:30 and I go to bed at 11-11:30.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the gym at either 11pm or midnight because I like going there when no one else is there. I still fall asleep as soon as I hit my mattress though haha.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Nah I do Krav classes at 7 and 8 PM throughout the week and I'm able to fall asleep at 10 with no issues. If you take a pre workout that late you might have issues, or if your one of those people that takes a long time to settle after working out maybe. But for me after class is done I'm longing for my bed :D