Any one else work third shift??

Options
Hey everyone!
Working third shift is killing me! I eat and sleep a screwed up! Sometimes I don't sleep more than 3-4 hours! Anyone else work this shift and have any ideas???

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I worked third shift for a few months and it was horrendous. I'd never do it again - I don't care how much I was paid - it just isn't worth it to me.

But, if you're stuck with it, try blackout curtains so your bedroom is like Dracula's Lair. They are about $10 at Wal Mart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eclipse-Samara-Blackout-Energy-Efficient-Curtain-Panel/43601769

Also get really good earplugs. I buy Mack's Ear Seals in bulk from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GETOJY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_bia_detailpages00
  • kacotugno86
    kacotugno86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes I have black out curtains! I just can't sleep much because I have to get up with the kids. Changing shifts right now is not possible as I work at a hospital. It sucks as far as eating goes though!
  • Antoinesau
    Antoinesau Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use to
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I use to and now I flop between shifts when necessary. Just stick to a regular eating pattern. Sleep when you can. If I'm not tired I exercise til I am then I fall asleep with no problem. Once you get use to it you'll be able to fall asleep because your body is tired not because it's dark. Good luck!!!
  • kacotugno86
    kacotugno86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's not that I have trouble falling asleep, I've been doing it a year and a half, I'm usually exhausted by the time I get home. I just can't sleep long because I have to get up with the kids. I think that my lack of sleep def does help with my weight loss!
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I work the bar shift, so I go to bed about 4:00 AM and usually can't sleep past 10:30 because of too much light. It was gloomy today, so I actually got to sleep until noon! In regards to eating, I try to push my meals back so I'm not at my calorie limit too early. I don't want to be hungry at 11:30 PM with nothing left to eat and 3 ½ hours left in my shift.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I wish I worked at night. I have insomnia and often can't sleep at all anyway. Plus then I'd have to interact with people less.
  • PieAndLattes
    PieAndLattes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I certainly can't help you with the sleeping, because it sounds like your situation is a little more complicated than simply the schedule, but I work second shift and sometimes I work doubles and I used to work third shift, I'm used to flipping my schedule around.

What I do, is just do my best to stick to the regular meal "schedule" . I eat three meals (or I do my best to) and eat the first with a few hours of waking, the second 4 or 5 hours later, and the third I eat four or five hours after that. Sometimes that means "breakfast" at 11am, "lunch" at 3 or 4, and dinner between 8 and 10. And, most days, a snack before I go to bed after I get home.