Losing weight gain from meds

Options
Hi everyone!

So I'm 25, 5'2 and currently 138 pounds. About a year and a half ago, I started trying different antidepressants because of my OCD and depression. While I've had enough progress with the meds to stay on them for the benefits, I have gained roughly 15 - 20 pounds. I've gone from a size 4 to a curvy 6, and while I don't hate how I look, I'd like to get back to my former size for both vanity and health reasons :) unfortunately, the meds I'm on right now also cause increased appetite, so I'm in a constant battle against false feelings of hunger. I also indulge in snacks more than I probably should! I've never tried a weight loss program or diet but I'm here and I'm hoping to stay committed and see some progress. Thanks in advance, I can use all the support I can get :)
- Lindsay

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had that issue when I started using anti-depressants. There are a variety of options out there and not all cause increased appetite. Talk to your doctor about possibly trying something new.
  • lindsayabraham13
    lindsayabraham13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I've already tried a handful of meds and we are finding that the ones that work have an increased risk of weight gain, so I have to weigh the pros and cons. I'm hoping if I gain better control over my eating habits, it will cease being such an issue. I'd like to stay steady on one med for a while.
  • zookeeper56k
    zookeeper56k Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing. It's good that you're getting a handle on it now. Cuz its just a slow thing and if you're going through other things you don't realize it. I've gained over a hundred pounds. But then again I'm considerably older than you. And have been out on long term medical to disability. In my job I could not get caught doing anything so I basically had to just sit around and that was for like a year and a half so between sitting around and taking the meds I galined weight. But I would not come off my medication because I definitely don't like Who I am when I don't take them. I don't know if I can help but I do understand so write back if you want. Katherine
  • erica_healthy
    erica_healthy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh boy the stories I could tell you about antidepressants!! I gained 30 kilos over 5 years from the freaking pills. Fml. Anyways I'm here now to get healthy :blush: