How to prevent blisters when running?

Options
Hi guys, I love walking/running long distances but I always tend to get blisters after. Got good shoes, and it has happened with all of my shoes in the past, so I assume it's not the shoes. Is there any way you know how to prevent this from happening?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Have you been fitted for shoes? At a real running store? Runners typically need a shoe that is a bit bigger than their normal everyday shoes. Proper fitting shoes as well as shoes made for your stride are important.

What kind of socks to you wear? Ones made for runners? Moister winking socks are important as well. Keeping your feet dry will help prevent blisters.
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Have you been fitted for shoes? At a real running store? Runners typically need a shoe that is a bit bigger than their normal everyday shoes. Proper fitting shoes as well as shoes made for your stride are important.

What kind of socks to you wear? Ones made for runners? Moister winking socks are important as well. Keeping your feet dry will help prevent blisters.

Yes I have been fitted for shoes, but did not know about socks. What kind of socks should I get? I don't run as much as I walk, mainly hiking. Thanx for the reply :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have used both moisture wicking and hikers socks. Try a few kinds. I get hikers socks from Marks Work Wearhouse and they have merino wool.

The moisture wicking you can get from a runners store.

Try body glide in the trouble spots.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    He blisters are from chafing and these days a good fitting shoe should not be giving you blisters.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Don't run. That should solve your problems.
  • MarlyIc1
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have used both moisture wicking and hikers socks. Try a few kinds. I get hikers socks from Marks Work Wearhouse and they have merino wool.

The moisture wicking you can get from a runners store.

Try body glide in the trouble spots.

Thanx for the advice, might give merino wool a go :) I do have problem feet though, always had to have fitted shoes but still get problems. What is a body glide? Is it a tape?
  • MarlyIc1
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Don't run. That should solve your problems.
    I don't run that much, mainly outdoor walking/hiking

• jgnatca
    Options
    Body glide comes in a container that looks like deodorant. It is super slick and prevents chafing. Where I have applied it, no blisters.
  • MarlyIc1
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Body glide comes in a container that looks like deodorant. It is super slick and prevents chafing. Where I have applied it, no blisters.

Sounds good, I'll give it a go, thanx so much!

• barbh2001
    barbh2001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've tried all kinds of shoes and wicking socks. I always got blisters. The only thing that works for me is toe socks. Sounds like a weird fashion throwback. But they're made for runners. I buy a brand called ininji off amazon.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I second Body Glide. You should find it at any running or sporting goods store.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I have an all natural version of body glide. it works well too

but i definitely recommend some sort of antichafe item. some people also use moleskin for the trouble areas
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Socks can make a huge difference. I like super thin socks when I run, mid-weight socks when I hike... either synthetic or wool, NEVER cotton.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I used to tape up my feet with duct tape (heels mostly) when doing long term hiking. It sounds crazy, but it worked really well protecting blisters and preventing new ones. It's probably comparable to moleskin, which I haven't used since my feet are one big callous these days.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Another great option is Leukotape placed over the problem area BEFORE a blister developes.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Socks can make a huge difference. I like super thin socks when I run, mid-weight socks when I hike... either synthetic or wool, NEVER cotton.

This. Cotton socks=sweaty feet=blisters.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Get some decent socks
    Make sure your shoes fit properly
    Make sure they are laced and tightened well to prevent them rubbing

Blisters be gone
  • MarlyIc1
    Options
    Thanx everyone for your responses, helps a lot. Will def try and get better appropriate socks and see how I go :smile:
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I found running socks that wick away moisture at one of those discount stores (think TJ Maxx/Ross/Marshall's). I actually found moisture wicking undies at Target, of all places. They'll do for the time being. And you should be able to find body glide even at some big box stores. I haven't gotten blisters in a while. I switched to a shoe with a lower back because I like to wear low socks. The shoes I had before gave me awful heel blisters.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Vaseline. Wherever your hot spots are, just lube 'em up before you put on your socks and you'll be good to go!