HELP !!!! PLEASE

Options
Right guys please help I am 35 and allowed 1400 calories however I only eat about 1250 ish because I am trying to loose weight and rid my body of all fat which is going great. BUT I want to build muscle and and great arms but I just don't know where to start. do I eat more? if I do won't that surly mean I will gain weight ?? I just don't know what to do or what exercises to do.at the min I normally burn 1200ish cals doing cardio as I'm a very keen biker . what do I do guys ???? xxx

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to build muscle (which has weight) and lose weight at the same time. In order to gain muscle, you need to eat sufficient calories. Cutting your calories to the minimum (like eating 1,250 when your goal is 1,400) will only cause you to lose MORE muscle. Do you do any resistance training right now?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    1. If MFP has given you 1400 calories eat the 1400- your deficit for weight loss has been accounted for in that number.
    2. If you are exercising you are supposed to eat back those calories. Not eating them burns you out, makes your performance less than ideal, can lead to illness over time. Fuel your body.
    3. If you wish to build muscle, start a compound, progressive lifting routine now. This will help retain and strengthen your existing muscle, and build muscle once you are in maintenance.
    4. You may have to cut back on your cardio to get the best performance from your lifting, depending on your priorities.
    5. Eat all the food you can while still losing at the rate you set. NB. losing at a slower rate, depending on how much you have to lose, will retain more of your LBM.
    6. Exercise isn't needed for weight loss, a food deficit is.

Cheers, h.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Eat more, lift heavy things. Repeat :smile:
  • jkybm1
    jkybm1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cheers guys that's great advice
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

1. If MFP has given you 1400 calories eat the 1400- your deficit for weight loss has been accounted for in that number.
    2. If you are exercising you are supposed to eat back those calories. Not eating them burns you out, makes your performance less than ideal, can lead to illness over time. Fuel your body.
    3. If you wish to build muscle, start a compound, progressive lifting routine now. This will help retain and strengthen your existing muscle, and build muscle once you are in maintenance.
    4. You may have to cut back on your cardio to get the best performance from your lifting, depending on your priorities.
    5. Eat all the food you can while still losing at the rate you set. NB. losing at a slower rate, depending on how much you have to lose, will retain more of your LBM.
    6. Exercise isn't needed for weight loss, a food deficit is.

Cheers, h.

This right here, is great advice

But I truly believe the way to succeed at this is to educate yourself, so if you don't mind I'm going to kind of pick apart your original post in the hopes that it will help make sense of why H advice is so spot on
    jkybm1 wrote: »
    Right guys please help I am 35 and allowed 1400 calories however I only eat about 1250 ish
    you don't eat under what you're allowed! eat what MFP sets to lose weight. Get into the mindset that calories aren't bad and you don't need to punish yourself to lose your weight

because I am trying to loose weight and rid my body of all fat which is going great.

I know it's just a phrase but body fat is good...for women 10-13% is essential. At your age your ideal BF% is probably 23-27% but measuring it is a pill. Do not trust scales, not even the ones at the gym, calipers are slightly better..go for a dexa scan if you really want to know. Best test in my opinion is stripping naked and jumping up and down in front of mirror...if it jiggles and ain't boobs it's probably fat

BUT I want to build muscle and and great arms but I just don't know where to start. do I eat more? if I do won't that surly mean I will gain weight ??
    in weight loss you can preserve muscle by making sure you eat enough protein and following progressive resistance programme...lift heavy

I just don't know what to do or what exercises to do.at the min I normally burn 1200ish cals doing cardio as I'm a very keen biker . what do I do guys ????

be very careful of stated cardio burns..that sounds massively overestimated..for example at 160lbs and fairly fit 1200 calories would take me 3 hours of intense level cardio...cut MFP database in half, cut machines in half...do not overestimate your exercise calories because you should be eating them back following MFP methodology
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @rabbitjb

Best test in my opinion is stripping naked and jumping up and down in front of mirror...if it jiggles and ain't boobs it's probably fat

You nearly made me spit my beer out

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    @rabbitjb

Best test in my opinion is stripping naked and jumping up and down in front of mirror...if it jiggles and ain't boobs it's probably fat

You nearly made me spit my beer out

Cheers, h.

:bigsmile:

Beer at this time of the morning? :open_mouth:
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    1am on the west coast of Canada. I just still write like the Mancunian woman I am.
    Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1am on the west coast of Canada. I just still write like the Mancunian woman I am.
    Cheers, h.

I knew I liked you
  • jkybm1
    jkybm1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do four hrs a day intence biking up and down hills so I do burn hell of alot of cals and I do lift weight but only for about 30 in a day