Always Cold!

Options
I have been within my target goal range for the last 6 weeks. I wanted to ask long-term Maintainers how long it took you before you stopped feeling so dang cold ALL the time?! My husband jokes that i freeze at 80*F.

In case it's relevant...my personal details.

Height: 5'6"
Starting Weight: 229lb
Goal Weight: 150lb
Maintain Range: 152.5-147.5lb
Current 148.7lb

After the first 30 pounds lost, I began to always feel cold. (November 2014)
June 2015 my GP's baseline blood work and thyroid tests all came back fine.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Feeling cold all the time is a frequent complaint of our local bariatric community. For me personally it is complicated by regular hot flashes. I have not heard a case where this gets better .

Sweaters. Warm drinks. Lap blanket and electric blanket in the living room. Dress for the weather.

I will run in sub zero temps but I make sure I have something warm to come home to. And hubby has put me on notice that it won't be him!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    it has never gotten better

im always cold, my hands and feet will be frozen from now till may ahhh winter

i get cold in the dead of a heat wave from just walking into the grocery store lol

heating pads,blankets,mitts,tea,bringing a sweater everywhere u go...
  • JamalIgle
    JamalIgle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No, I'm ALWAYS COLD. All the way time, I thought it was just me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I usually feel colder than the people around me. I assume it's because I'm not well insulated, and, as a small person,I have a high surface area to volume ratio.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have felt a lot colder since I lost weight (4 years ago). Back to as cold as I felt when I was young and thin. I take a bath every night, I consciously relax my muscles. I swear slippers or socks. I have a warm computer on my lap :)
  • SeptemberSun_1333
    SeptemberSun_1333 Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm a cold person too. My family likes to joke that I am one of the undead :o When I'm freezing I dress heavier and I like to run my hands under the hottest water I can stand, then dry them thoroughly. It works to some extent, lol!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Minimal layer of fat = no insulation = brrrrr

Hot drinks, fuzzy socks, and plenty of layers will be your friends. The single best thing I bought for myself is a fleece robe. I can keep myself really warm when I have my robe on and I'm under my fleece blanket.

You might adapt over time in the same way that some people who move from the southern part of a country to the northern part do, but be prepared to be chilly!

~Lyssa
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Under Armour cold gear is a godsend. Ive kind of been looking forward to hot flashes as a ice breaker...or at least as a change of pace. Good news is my husband is more sympathetic now that he's experienced coldness post weight loss.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well at least you're not alone OP. I also suffer with feeling cold and always have to some extent (due to thyroid issues). It has become worse since I started losing weight though. I just make sure I have extra layers handy to cover up when I need to (even if it's 40C in the shade)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Ive always been cold even before I lost weight
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I also feel cold, but it's worse in the Fall than in the Winter - I guess I get used to it. One thing that helps me besides wearing layers: ginger "tea" (search ginger on WebMD for the recipe).
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I was cold even when I was 4 pounds into obesity (my highest known weight), however I don't recall being this way; until puberty.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I am always, always cold. I've noticed it significantly after I've lost my 33 lbs.
    The heat in my house is always up full blast, I always have to wear thick fluffy socks and occasionally my finger nails turn a blue-ish colour. I have to point out, I am *not* underweight. I'm 5'2 and a very healthy 124 lbs - but the coldness continues! My boyfriend comments I'm like a constant block of ice! The blue nails is hereditary (my family suffer from bad circulation and I guess I'm no exception!). Bring on Summer, is what I'll say!
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    me too!

I was never cold, never, now my body T goes down even if I drink a couple of glasses of cold drinks
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    whiskey warms the soul.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    it definately has got worst since losing weight. i am sitting indoors typing with my fingerless gloves on. When i start going into the office again its going to be worst with all that air con blowing everywhere.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Building muscle will help some but what gets me is the drafty kind of cold. For a while I had to wear thicker soles shoes and I travel with a jacket or sweater at all times just in case. It's gotten after a couple of years, I discovered for me the back of my neck must be covered in the cooler months so maybe you too have a trigger spot for the cold.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am always, always cold. I've noticed it significantly after I've lost my 33 lbs.
    The heat in my house is always up full blast, I always have to wear thick fluffy socks and occasionally my finger nails turn a blue-ish colour. I have to point out, I am *not* underweight. I'm 5'2 and a very healthy 124 lbs - but the coldness continues! My boyfriend comments I'm like a constant block of ice! The blue nails is hereditary (my family suffer from bad circulation and I guess I'm no exception!). Bring on Summer, is what I'll say!

Sounds like reynauds or you've already got some wicked vascular problems if your nails are turning blue (this is caused by lack of oxygen perfusing tissues generally due to the vasoconstriction that results from the stimulus trying to shunt blood to the core, not the coldness itself. If it's severe enough the lack of oxygen causes ischemic damage and that part of the body begins to die). Soooo if you haven't you should probably get that checked out... Just because something might be genetic doesn't mean it can't be harmful.