1,200 calories

Options
Can someone clear this up for me? Why is 1,200 calories the MINIMUM amount of calories anyone should eat in a day? I hear everyone say, "just don't go below 1,200 calories."

Why 1,200 calories? Where did that come from?

Replies

• mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I believe that is the amount that MFP sets for "starvation mode".
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hrm...

Does it take into account weight, specifically lean body mass, or anything? Or is that a universal level, like everyone's body will see 1,200 as the minimum amount of calories before going into "starvation mode?"
  • pedalpusher5
    Options
    Actually it is the amount specified by the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM) as the minimum amount needed to meet nutritional and energy needs based on their research. MFP probably just set the number at that because they were following those guidelines.
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    1200 is of course generic. But it's true in 95% cases thou. 1200 calories is the minimum an average human body needs to run its self properly.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I read an article by Jillian she says never go below 1200 cals!!!
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. The only time anyone should go below 1200 is under a doctor's care, and I believe that would be a rare instance as well.
  • TigersLions
    Options
    I heard during one of my work's health presentations that 1,200 was an "old" number. It should really be 1,500 (for a female). When I first started MFP, it was just to check it out. I set myself up and it assigned me 1,200 calories a day. I wonder if I need to switch to 1,500 so that my body isn't thinking it's starving and not letting any more fat go. I'm not sure how to do it in MFP though.
  • trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    1200 calories is a good number of calories if you do absolutely nothing. But if you workout you'll be starving if you consume less. Some days my calorie burn is 1200. No I don't eat 2400. But I do "try" to make smart choices & plan my meals. Because I do need extra food. So I try to eat more often more filling items like apples & nuts. I hope that helps. Please don't eat less than 1000 because not only will you go into starvation mode your body will hold onto it & you will gain weight. Also drink water constantly helps tremendously.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    1200 is of course generic. But it's true in 95% cases thou. 1200 calories is the minimum an average human body needs to run its self properly.
    Where did you hear that?

If someone's BMR is 1,600 and another person's BMR is 2,200 - do you see a discrepancy in saying, "1,200 is the absolute minimum"?

*Assuming we care about preventing muscle loss, of course. Should explicitly state that.
  • HelloKittyRx
    Options
    It is also a good idea to take a multivitamin when you are only eating 1200 calories to make sure you get all the nutrients you need
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Anything under 1000 calories requires Dr supervision. There actually are cases where a person can go below 1200 but not less then 1000 but I think 1200 is pretty average. I went and did metabolic testing at my gym to figure out what my minimum should really be in order to achieve my goals.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I read an article by Jillian she says never go below 1200 cals!!!

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fitness-and-diet-tips/quit-yo-yo-dieting
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Hrm...

Does it take into account weight, specifically lean body mass, or anything? Or is that a universal level, like everyone's body will see 1,200 as the minimum amount of calories before going into "starvation mode?"

No clue...I don't use MFP to determine calorie or macro intake. Lol.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    No clue...I don't use MFP to determine calorie or macro intake. Lol.
    I think I knew that, just figured I'd throw the question out there :P

I simply find it odd saying, "1,200 is the minimum" when a man with 50 pounds more lean mass than a woman will have different minimal requirements.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are right, maybe 1,200 is the "absolute 0" of the calorie world. (I don't believe this). But my point is, the guy with all the lean muscle mass would likely have a HIGHER minimum than the other person. Maybe 1200 is the minimum for even tiny people.... but yeah, it's an arbitrary number probably.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Yes, you are right, maybe 1,200 is the "absolute 0" of the calorie world. (I don't believe this). But my point is, the guy with all the lean muscle mass would likely have a HIGHER minimum than the other person. Maybe 1200 is the minimum for even tiny people.... but yeah, it's an arbitrary number probably.
    Precisely what I'm getting at!

Am I to believe that my body's minimum requirements will be the same as my mother? She's absolutely tiny at 115 pounds ~18% body fat, where as I'm 185 pounds at ~14% body fat.
  • Jessika616
    Jessika616 Posts: 41
    Options
    I read this article the other day and wpit was extremely interesting,

http://www.experiencelifemag.com/issues/june-2011/healthy-eating/food-crazy.php
  • bookwormie
    bookwormie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering about the 1200 calories myself. I'm female and only 4'11". Am I really supposed to be eating 1200 calories every day? Or is this an average amount based on taller people? It seems like a lot to me, but maybe that's why I'm borderline obese. It's so hard to know what's correct, and what we're supposed to be doing.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I was actually wondering about the 1200 calories myself. I'm female and only 4'11". Am I really supposed to be eating 1200 calories every day? Or is this an average amount based on taller people? It seems like a lot to me, but maybe that's why I'm borderline obese. It's so hard to know what's correct, and what we're supposed to be doing.
    Depends on your personal maintenance calories. It's a very individualized number.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I simply find it odd saying, "1,200 is the minimum" when a man with 50 pounds more lean mass than a woman will have different minimal requirements.
    1200 is the minimum for a woman, the minimum figure is 1500 for men.

1200 is generally agreed to be the minimum required for an average woman to consume the daily nutrients that her body needs to function healthily. However, while this site uses 1200 as a minimum for all women, it's certainly not a one size fits all figure, if you are extremely short like me your minimum requirements can be met by a smaller number of calories and if you're very tall, you simply cannot get the nutrients you need in those 1200 calories.

Plus of course there is no guarantee that if you eat 1200 calories of junk food you're getting what you need. There are many people who eat double that 1200 calories and yet have an inadequate diet, nutritionally speaking.