Post baby/breastfeeding

Options
hey there!
My baby is 8 months and I can't seem to shake my baby fat even though I breastfeed! What is some tips and tricks you guys have for breastfeeding mamas??!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more, like everyone else :) Really, there is nothing special about it. If you are not losing even with breastfeeding, then you are eating at maintenance and about 500 more on top. Breastfeeding can make you hungry, so be careful about your snack choices. And remember to stay well hydrated, I know it sounds stupid but especially when you are exhausted with a new baby, thirst can easily be confused with hunger.
    Good luck and congratulations for your baby!
  • kacotugno86
    kacotugno86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Breastfed for almost 3 years with my last didn't loses lick of weight lol probably because my cravings were just as bad breastfeeding as while I was pregnant so I still ate high calorie foods. Honestly the only way to lose is less calories more burning of calories. If you don't have a baby carrier is suggest getting one. You can walk and snuggle baby. Good luck I know post baby bodies can make us feel blah but I'm sure u can lose it and good luck :) remember to figure in extra 500 calories for the calories your burning bfing and continue with your prenatal vitamins as well. If your seeing a dip in supply extra water and fenugreek saved my supple when I had a dip.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Is your baby eating solid foods?
    500 calories for breastfeeding is for young babies who are EBF. As you introduce solids, the baby will nurse less and you will burn fewer calories. Gradually taper down your extra nursing calories as you baby gets more food from elsewhere.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose an ounce when breastfeeding. Some bodies go into 'starvation mode' and hold onto the weight, but will shed it when you stop. I dropped 10 lbs within two weeks after stopping.
    So have patience and eat as healthy as you can. And try your best.... Congratulations on your little one!
  • notafatmommy
    notafatmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My little guy is 11 weeks and we go for lots of walks. We did little over 4 miles after I dropped the kids off at school. I have lost all the baby weight and now working on the rest I want to drop. I also don't eat any extra calories for EBF.

With my second I did lose anything while breastfeeding, but I got an IUD at 6 weeks. With my first one and this one I have not done BC.

• jellybelly803
    jellybelly803 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have three kiddos, all breastfed. I am SO HUNGRY while breastfeeding that I easily overeat. So with my first two, I did not really lose anything until I stopped. With my third, well, I was sick of looking "postpartum" (it had been 6 years between the three kids, after all). So I made a real effort. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but truly, it took a lot of super hard work. As everyone has said, eat less exercise more. Unfortunately, not everyone just has the weight fall off when breastfeeding. Sigh. That said, you do get a pretty huge calorie allotment while breastfeeding, so take advantage of it!
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For A LOT of breastfeeding mamas, your body will follow the biological imperative to keep fat on you while nursing, to make sure you have enough milk in an emergency. Many, many moms cannot lose all the weight until they are done nursing.

Yes, you burn a lot of calories making milk, and those few moms who lose a ton of weight while nursing make it into the books, but for most moms, all the weight doesn't come off until they wean.

And of course if you wean at 12-18 months, by then you are about ready for kid #2, lol.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »
    For A LOT of breastfeeding mamas, your body will follow the biological imperative to keep fat on you while nursing, to make sure you have enough milk in an emergency. Many, many moms cannot lose all the weight until they are done nursing.

Yes, you burn a lot of calories making milk, and those few moms who lose a ton of weight while nursing make it into the books, but for most moms, all the weight doesn't come off until they wean.

And of course if you wean at 12-18 months, by then you are about ready for kid #2, lol.

No. Breastfeeding does not defy the basic laws of energy.
    Breastfeeding, like pregnancy, usually makes you hungrier. And also makes you more likely to want to give in to cravings. Understandably, being tired and not having the energy to think much about calories, means more easily giving in to these cravings, which in turn means you do not lose weight and often gain more.
    If you manage to monitor what you eat, which might not be always easy obviously, you lose weight.
    Usually weaning means extra weight gain, not weight loss. Because you no longer burn the breastfeeding calories.
    The mothers I know in real life who did not lose or even gained while nursing, they ended up with more weight after weaning.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well, I breastfed my kids between 11-14 months, and it's taken me 2 and 3/4 years ish, to lose about 57lbs ish. Basically, I did it slowly, exercising, and cutting out most of my junk food!

I totally get it's soo hard to want to take care of yourself when you have a little person who is demanding of your energy. But as others have already said, just be mindful of what you are eating. At this point you don't want to be depriving yourself of sufficient nutrients.

I would personally cut out all sugary foods (inc fruit juices), and processed foods. And eat plenty of wholesome foods, like fruits,veg, lentils etc etc
    And start exercising, it should help you to feel better at the very least.

• hoodie954
    hoodie954 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yup. I can relate. I have been busting my butt at the gym and I have not lost as much as expected. I breastfeed as well and I just assumed that's why I'm not losing as fast. But I'm committed to fitness so I'm trying not to get so obsessed with the scale. I can see my body changing so that's what matters.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »

This happened to me. I was working my *kitten* off at the gym and eating crazy clean after my daughter started solids but the weight simply did not budge. I started losing weight 1 month after I'd weaned. I was also having some hormonal issues, so there was that to contend with :neutral:
  • kacotugno86
    kacotugno86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Does anyone also feel like the iud makes you gain weight?
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have an iud and I still breastfeed my 20 month old twins. It is super difficult to loose the weight. I work put at least 5 days a week and I am doing my best to stay within my caloric goal. I also don't add all my breastfeeding calories back to prevent over eating. I have lost a few pounds but it isn't significant. I still have about 25 pounds to go.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding did not help me lose a pound!!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Does anyone also feel like the iud makes you gain weight?

I have the copper iud and am currently breastfeeding number 3. Neither has made me gain weight. Exercising has been the best thing. This is the first time I've been consciously exercising and it was much easier to get my body back this time compared to my first two kids.
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You have to be very careful not to restrict too much as to not hinder your supply. That being said fat loss is 90% diet, so I would take your recommend caloric intake, add 300 and that's with exercise. Lean meats, plain Greek yogurt, fruit, lots of veggies. I can totally relate I felt the same way!! My body didn't start really losing until a year PP. Hang in there mama it's a journey, not a race!!!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I was not able to lose weight while breastfeeding my first. If I restricted calories enough to lose weight, my milk supply also dropped. That said, I had supply issues in general last time. This time around it's not an issue now that the extreme hunger is gone.
  • muffintopmaven
    muffintopmaven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I breastfed my 4 babies, and while it's not true for every mom, I could not lose the last 10-15 pounds while breastfeeding. I ate no more than 1400 calories, any less would decrease my milk supply. I worked out 5-6 hours a week. Once I quit breastfeeding, I lost 10 pounds in just a few weeks. Weaning was the only change in my routine.

After the first two kids, I stopped trying so hard to lose right away because it's very discouraging to do everything and not lose. I focused on getting my body strong and moving (outside if possible). It was as much for my mental health as anything else.

Some women can and do lose a ton while breastfeeding. I was not one of them. No biggie. It's a trade off, I don't beat myself up about it.

As far as laws of energy are concerned. It's not so simple when you add in the literal rush of hormones that come with lactation.