binge eating

Options
If you have overcome binge eating disorder, how did you tackle recovery and what worked for you to change your habits?

Replies

• Zadora251
    Zadora251 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I still struggle thats why I choose to eat so little and cant have cheat days because they can turn to 4 day binges
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Awareness is key for me. I constantly remind myself of my goal and stick to my plan. If I feel I need something I eat it but within my calories. Last night I wanted something sweet and grabbed 5 chocolate chips. Just 5 and that did it for me.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a diagnosed 'binge eating disorder' but I have struggled enormously in the past with my relationship with food. I would eat. And eat. And eat. And eat. Perhaps trying to fill an emptyness? I'm not entirely sure even now - all I know is, I had to learn about the process. I had to learn about my body's needs. I had to learn the science behind calories in, calories out and fueling my body to work to the best of it's ability. Once I learnt, I had to ask myself what my goals were.

For me, overcoming my issues was a step-by-step process.
  • orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awareness of just how many calories I was consuming during my binges was a huge factor for me. A trip to a fast food chain would net me over 3,000 calories and that was only one "meal" for me that day. On a bad binge day I could easily put back 7,000-9,000 calories.

I just got sick of killing myself with food. It was and is extremely hard at times being surrounded by food. Keep the big triggers out of the house and if you can't eat something in moderation then don't even bother. You will just set yourself up for failure. That being said, don't restrict yourself of everything. You aren't going to go the rest of your life without eating at least some of your "trigger" foods. Give yourself time before you start eating them again because you need to build up your new eating mindset. If it fits in your calories for the day, you can eat it. A lot of the time when I do that I realize that I could eat 2-3 fairly big meals for the calories a large blizzard from Dairy Queen would cost me. So as an alternative I will just get a small or medium if I have room that day.

Find healthier alternatives to your favourite foods and try to teach yourself how to be satisfied on less "junk" (someone above posted how they only ate 5 chocolate chips to satisfy the sweet craving). I personally cut out all sugary drinks and only drink water now. I still crave pop and juice but I find taking a swig of cranberry juice satisfies that because it is so sweet and tart I couldn't handle drinking a whole glass anymore.

Also, try to eat filling foods. Protein, healthy fats, and fibre rich foods help keep me full longer I find. You can do a Google search for what foods fit that.
    I think I broke my body's ability to know when I am actually satisfied because even now I find that sometimes I have only two modes: hungry and "so-full-I-could-throw-up." I eat a lot of broccoli with my dinner to help stuff myself now instead of eating an entire box of Kraft dinner though.

Figure out if you are actually hungry or just thirsty, drink a fair amount of water and give yourself 10-20 minutes to reevaluate. Also try and eat smaller meals all through the day so you aren't going too long without food. Being really hungry will lead you to overeat.

The biggest thing you need to do is find your motivating factor. Hold onto anything to help get you through the beginning and once you start making progress it will reinforce why you are working so hard. Just know that you get to be in control of what food goes in your mouth now.
  • mince3892
    mince3892 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, great advice.
  • CLEatMoulton
    CLEatMoulton Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am a true binge eater I fight it most times I win. There are times I have wondered how I could hold that much food. I do not know what bring it on. It always hits after 8 pm. I truly have eaten until my stomach was totally distended.I would eat things I did not even like. Mostly I eat sweets.I am fighting type two diabetes,I am winning however it is a up hill battle. Good luck.I for one know how hard this is to control.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Struggling with self diagnosed binge eating. Some days I start off so great and by the end of a long, tiring day I just want to (and do) scarf down enormous amounts of calories. I have been heavy most of life, about 4 years ago I got very committed to changing my relationship with food.. Began logging all my foods and ate super clean. I went from 180 pounds and 30+% body fat to 126 pounds and 16% BF. I was super fit and lean. But last year I had multiple life changes and a major health scare with an emergency surgery.. I can't seem to rein myself in... I do well for a few days and then fall,hard... I've gained back over 25 pounds in one year. Im so frustrated...