Question Regarding Food

So I work 3 jobs and I'm constantly on the run. Besides pre-making my meals, does anyone have any tips on how to eat healthy while on the go?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I'm Also crazy busy so understand where your coming from.
    You pretty much covered it though, pre make your meals.
    Preplan everything. Have a list of foods you need from the grocer. Then create a list of your meals and snacks for each day. Pack them up and prelog them ( just be sure everything is weighed out first ahead of time !)
    Planning helps a lot !
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Pre planning and packing is best, but life happens. When you have some free time scout the area/cafeteria around your job sites. See what they have and look up their kcal on MFP. make a mental (or physical!) note of what foods are good choices for you if you forget lunch or just cant stand another pre-packed dinner.

This way you go in armed with what you know to be good choices, and you are less likely to go over because you ate two 400kcal pizza slices!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Whatever you're doing now - just pick lower calorie options. Pizza places have salads, fast food have lower calorie options etc...
  • Mindfullyjo
    Mindfullyjo Posts: 40 Member
    Make sure to eat slow-release energy food as this keeps you satisfied for longer, maintains a steady flow of energy and helps prevent craving for snacks. (Lots on this on internet).
    Sugar creates energy highs and lows. Keep it to absolute minimum - the occasional "treat". Check the sugar content of everything as there's often too much of it in pre-packs and cafe meals. Eating healthy snacks (pumpkin seed, nuts, oatcakes etc.) can seem like a high-calorie option, but you'll eat a lot less.
    Cook a big stew to last you the week! Whatever you do, take time out to eat and enjoy it!
    Good luck! :)
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Some people hate the idea, but I keep zone protein bars around for when I can't make anything. 190 calories and pretty good.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Some people hate the idea, but I keep zone protein bars around for when I can't make anything. 190 calories and pretty good.

I do the same, except I keep small portions of almonds or whatever type of nut I have on hand at the time. And plenty of water.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Single-serving snacks. I have good luck with Greek yogurt, 100-cal packs of almonds, granola bars, peanut butter crackers, hardboiled eggs. Just grab an individual package in the morning and stick it in your bag.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    If you have to eat out, pick a chain with nutritional info easily available online. MFP has lots already in the database, even. Makes it a lot easier to pick something that fits in your day.
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2015
    grab stuff on the go like hard boiled eggs or protein bars
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    I've found that Panda Express isn't bad.......with veggie bowl and one entree. I also have found some fish taco places around. Those are good. I take my breakfast.....80 cal greek yogurt with half cup of crunchy cereal. Often, too, I'll grab Subway ham, no cheese, mustard only with all the veggies.

100 cal guacamole, think it's wholly guacamole, with celery works great as snack. You'll find plenty of available products while you are dieting.
  • H34v3nlySinsx3
    H34v3nlySinsx3 Posts: 65 Member
    @Mindfulllyjo - What exactly do you suggest for these "slow release energy foods"?

@star whisperer6 - most protein bars taste horrible, do you have any suggestions for better-tasting ones?

Thanks all for advice BTW!