Fasting Cardio - Any ideas?

Options
I've read several different ideas on this. I am 48 and have lost 74 lbs in the last 3 years and am currently trying to lose those last stubborn upper back, chest and stomach weight with little success. I lift daily for 45-1 hour and will usually do 20 minutes of cardio (jog/stairmaster) each day as well. A trainer at the club says the 20 minutes of cardio hurt my goals more than help. He also says I should do fasting cardio for longer durations. Fact is...I already get up at 3:50 every morning to get my workout in and everyone says not to give up any of the strength training for cardio. Any thoughts out there on this? Thanks!

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I disagree. Don't do cardio longer, unless you want to (prepare for a race, want to be able to run a certain distance for yourself, would like to improve your cardiovascular endurance.)

Please look into HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and follow that for weight loss. Even just Interval Training (not such high intensity as HIIT) is better for weight loss --this is according to my cardiologist. not just random things on the internet.

I'm not against cardio. I run. Because I enjoy running outside for 30-45 minutes. But from a weight loss stand point, you probably shouldn't give up resistance training for longer cardio.

• crappieg
    crappieg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank You! I will try that. Great advice.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I've not seen any convincing evidence that fasted cardio is better for fat loss than any other cardio. My thoughts are leaning more toward your diet. How is your diet and deficit? Do you log food? Do you weigh your food and log everything accurately? You're diet is closed so I can't take a look at that and offer any valid suggestions that might arise from that.

I'm willing to bet that you are inadvertently eating more than you think and your deficit isn't where it needs to be for fat loss and making some simple adjustments to either how you log or your overall calorie goals will most likely solve that for you. When you get closer to your goals, fat loss tends to slow down and get more "difficult"... what that really means is that it's time to readjust your calorie/macro goals and keep it up with a healthy dose of patience. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is your body.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I want to say "well done!" on what you have achieved. I think it's marvellous and to sustain it for three years is just terrific:)) I think BecomingBane makes a good point--maybe log how much you're eating for the next week or so.
  • crappieg
    Options
    Thanks for the note on the fasting cardio....I can't find evidence either way myself. In regards to diet, I do weigh everything and log everything I eat. I have stayed pretty consistent with the MFP 1lb per week setting. A typical day for me is 3/4 cup egg whites and 1 whole egg on ezekial muffin for breakfast with a pre-workout drink. A post workout protein drink (have been using Herbalife "Rebuild Strength"), healthy morning snack like natural peanut butter on rice cake, turkey burger or chicken for lunch with veggies and brown rice or quinoa, yogurt for an afternoon snack and fish, chicken or lean red meat for dinner with veggies and a few almonds for a snack before bed. I've been trying to keep it at 1,700-1,800 calories. I do have issues later in the afternoon and early evening some days and tend to be more hungry but try to fight through those times with more water. I'll keep up the fight....it took me 25 years to put the weight on and I realize it will take a while but we all want to see and feel results faster than what is possible I guess. Thanks again Becoming Bane!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    If you've constantly been in a deficit for 3 years, you might want to try doing maintenance or even a slight surplus for 3-6 months to give your body a break. Sometimes that helps with breaking through a plateau you've been at for awhile.
  • crappieg
    Options
    Thanks Kellie! It makes sense. I usually only track on the weekdays so I think I may see some issues with the weekends even though I try to keep it consistent.
  • crappieg
    Options
    Thanks McCloud. I did try a 200-400 surplus and lifted heavier for about 8 weeks as someone suggested that but maybe 3-6 months is better. Just afraid to lose the progress. I guess it's all in the head sometimes!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    crappieg wrote: »
    Thanks McCloud. I did try a 200-400 surplus and lifted heavier for about 8 weeks as someone suggested that but maybe 3-6 months is better. Just afraid to lose the progress. I guess it's all in the head sometimes!

It's definitely a mental thing. Did you gain much weight over those 8 weeks? I just did my first real bulk and added 25lbs in about 4-5 months. Now I'm trying to drop those same 25lbs. Hopefully it won't take as long to lose it again.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the note on the fasting cardio....I can't find evidence either way myself. In regards to diet, I do weigh everything and log everything I eat. I have stayed pretty consistent with the MFP 1lb per week setting. A typical day for me is 3/4 cup egg whites and 1 whole egg on ezekial muffin for breakfast with a pre-workout drink. A post workout protein drink (have been using Herbalife "Rebuild Strength"), healthy morning snack like natural peanut butter on rice cake, turkey burger or chicken for lunch with veggies and brown rice or quinoa, yogurt for an afternoon snack and fish, chicken or lean red meat for dinner with veggies and a few almonds for a snack before bed. I've been trying to keep it at 1,700-1,800 calories. I do have issues later in the afternoon and early evening some days and tend to be more hungry but try to fight through those times with more water. I'll keep up the fight....it took me 25 years to put the weight on and I realize it will take a while but we all want to see and feel results faster than what is possible I guess. Thanks again Becoming Bane!

I'm lifting 4 days a week... cardio maybe 1 or 2 depending on feels, and I'm still losing fat on 2800 calories on training days and 2300 on non training days. Now, I'm not saying that you should or even could eat as much as I am and still maintain a loss because I don't know you, your training style/volume or any of a million other things that might influence your experiences... but I am a firm believer that you should eat as much as you can while still losing. For me, it was just a matter of finding a macro balance that supported my goals while still allowing fat loss. Note that I keep saying fat loss and not weight loss as I've actually gained about 35 lbs since I started this journey, but my measurements are smaller and my Dexa scan shows less bodyfat (from around 35% down to 17% currently)

For me the shift in bodyfat from my stubborn areas is just now beginning to occur after a long recomp. I most likely could have shifted it a lot sooner with bulk and cut cycles, but I decided at the beginning that I was in no hurry. For me, this was a journey and getting there was important, not how long it took. Now, almost 3 years later, I'm heavier than I've ever been, with lower bodyfat than I can remember ever having and smaller measurements in my midsection (it's larger in my arms, legs, and chest) and I'm just now getting around to shifting that stubborn fat in my "problem" areas.

My longwinded point is that everyone loses fat differently and odds are you are now down to your stubborn areas. The body and genetics determine where we lose from and how quickly it comes off under your deficit and workload. Be patient, hold to your process, and realize that the final few pounds will be the slowest to come off.

You've got this. Don't lose sight of the end goal because you are getting antsy about getting there.
  • crappieg
    Options

I'm lifting 4 days a week... cardio maybe 1 or 2 depending on feels, and I'm still losing fat on 2800 calories on training days and 2300 on non training days. Now, I'm not saying that you should or even could eat as much as I am and still maintain a loss because I don't know you, your training style/volume or any of a million other things that might influence your experiences... but I am a firm believer that you should eat as much as you can while still losing. For me, it was just a matter of finding a macro balance that supported my goals while still allowing fat loss. Note that I keep saying fat loss and not weight loss as I've actually gained about 35 lbs since I started this journey, but my measurements are smaller and my Dexa scan shows less bodyfat (from around 35% down to 17% currently)

For me the shift in bodyfat from my stubborn areas is just now beginning to occur after a long recomp. I most likely could have shifted it a lot sooner with bulk and cut cycles, but I decided at the beginning that I was in no hurry. For me, this was a journey and getting there was important, not how long it took. Now, almost 3 years later, I'm heavier than I've ever been, with lower bodyfat than I can remember ever having and smaller measurements in my midsection (it's larger in my arms, legs, and chest) and I'm just now getting around to shifting that stubborn fat in my "problem" areas.

My longwinded point is that everyone loses fat differently and odds are you are now down to your stubborn areas. The body and genetics determine where we lose from and how quickly it comes off under your deficit and workload. Be patient, hold to your process, and realize that the final few pounds will be the slowest to come off.

You've got this. Don't lose sight of the end goal because you are getting antsy about getting there.

• crappieg
    Options
    Thank You! I appreciate all your input and taking the time to do so. I will stay the course and keep at it while trying different things over longer periods of time to see the effects. My last body fat pinch test showed my bf @ 13.2% which is down from 20.6% almost exactly a year ago and a big difference from 30.8% when I started this journey over 3+ years ago. Other people notice the gains but I guess I'm just being hard on myself since I, like you mentioned, have those stubborn areas to get rid of which I now realize is easier said than done. I appreciate your encouragement to stay the course and keep an eye on the goal. I do realize I didn't become almost 300#'s in a day. Thanks Again!
  • crappieg
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

It's definitely a mental thing. Did you gain much weight over those 8 weeks? I just did my first real bulk and added 25lbs in about 4-5 months. Now I'm trying to drop those same 25lbs. Hopefully it won't take as long to lose it again.

I did gain around 6 lbs in the 8 weeks however the trainer who does my bf pinch test said 2 lbs was muscle and 4 was fat. I will continue to play around with things and be more patient. Thanks for your advise and info on what you have been doing!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Lesson I've learned in the last three years - "Don't chase imaginary marginal gains."

The only difference I find between fasted and fed cardio was that I perform better and am happier when I eat breakfast first. Same with resistance training. Either way, my weight loss/gain remains in linear relation to my calorie deficit/surplus.

My advice is to get your calorie deficit and exercise in whichever manner is most sustainable to you. If fasted cardio leaves you dizzy, eat first. If eating first upsets your stomach, do it fasted. But don't go to contortions to do one rather than the other in pursuit of minor marginal gains. Your consistency will suffer and that will have 100x more impact than any marginal gains you may or may not see.

Trainers have an incentive to give definitive sounding answers, and in my experience will often jump on whatever band wagon is passing by. After all if they consistently gave you the honest answer that the details make little or no difference relative to the big lifestyle changes you already made, you may start to wonder if you really need their services.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    He also says I should do fasting cardio for longer durations.

I wouldn't worry about adding in more cardio unless you actually enjoy it. 20 - 30 minutes is probably more than enough to build some endurance. Fasted? That won't make much if any difference in your weight. That factor only comes into play if you're planning on doing endurance events that last longer than 2 - 3 hours. Otherwise eat before cardio or don't depending on which one feels better for you.