Spaghetti Squash!!

Options
We just recently (4 weeks ago) started eating 30-40g carbs or less, and cut out 95% processed foods such as breads, pastas, boxed anything, premade anything, etc. My mom recently introduced me to spaghetti squash...I'm in love! ! It's just like noodles, without the carbs and so much healthier! And filling!
I use it for homemade pastas, lasagna, etc. in replace of noodles. And it's so so easy to cook. Just cut in half, take seeds out, put plastic wrap, and microwave face down for 11 minutes each. Then just use a fork to pull the "noodles" out into a bowl! :)
Just one squash makes a whole pan of lasagna (2 layers)!

Replies

• Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It is a really good alternative
  • starssaayhello
    starssaayhello Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was so suprised by how filling it was!! I filled my plate up like I use to with spaghetti, but I could only finish half. So good!!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I like real lasagne pasta. I like spaghetti squash but it just isn't the same. You are saving approximately 180 calories per serving, not worth it I'm my opinion but whatever.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I like real lasagne pasta.

Have you tried making Lasagna with strips of zucchini cut thin? Made twice, secret is to peel the zucchini with a peeler first then make strips. I use a hand held cheese plane or you could use a mandolin.

I also use cottage cheese instead of ricotta zipped up in food processor plus extra eggs and unflavored whey protein. It is not as good as regular version but it is a pretty close second and healthier!
  • rjraymon1
    rjraymon1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I like real lasagne pasta. I like spaghetti squash but it just isn't the same. You are saving approximately 180 calories per serving, not worth it I'm my opinion but whatever.

180 per serving is a lot to me. And I don't eat processed carbs (noodles, breads, etc)...I love knowing I can fill up on the spaghetti squash and not have the bad ingredients.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is tasty. I like just eating it.. It's very sweet on its own. I eat it periodically, but for no other reason than it tastes awesome.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    rjraymon1 wrote: »

180 per serving is a lot to me. And I don't eat processed carbs (noodles, breads, etc)...I love knowing I can fill up on the spaghetti squash and not have the bad ingredients.

180 calories is like a 30 minute walk :)
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    A 30 minute walk may be alot if the op has already worked out or 180 calories may not be in her budget. Why rain on her parade? She has discovered a wonderful new food that she enjoys, be happy for her or don't comment.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It's also super easy to grow, even in a container, and if properly stored has a shelf life of several months. One plant can yield several squash. We eat spaghetti squash from our garden 8-9 months of the year.

I do still eat pasta but I agree that spaghetti squash can be a great alternative when you want to really lower calories. And I also agree that it's delicious on it's own.

It really is surprising how filling it is considering how few calories it as.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

180 calories is more than 10% of my daily calories.
  • queenliz99
    edited October 2015
    Options
    A 30 minute walk
    A 30 minute walk may be alot if the op has already worked out or 180 calories may not be in her budget. Why rain on her parade? She has discovered a wonderful new food that she enjoys, be happy for her or don't comment.

There was no raining on parades. She is saving approximately 130 calories on a vegetable that is so so for a pasta replacement. I eaten spaghetti squash in place of pasta and it just isn't the same, IMO.

But whatever, I'm happy for her too :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I don't think there's anything wrong with noodles or bread, but definitely agree 180 calories is worth saving, if you don't miss it and there's something else you'd rather 'spend' it on.

I could get 2 Hobnobs and a small cup of tea for that, so I'm on board. Plus the squash would count as a vegetable serving and pasta wouldn't, so there's that.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It's also super easy to grow, even in a container, and if properly stored has a shelf life of several months. One plant can yield several squash. We eat spaghetti squash from our garden 8-9 months of the year.

I do still eat pasta but I agree that spaghetti squash can be a great alternative when you want to really lower calories. And I also agree that it's delicious on it's own.

It really is surprising how filling it is considering how few calories it as.

:o I need to try this immediately!!! I love spaghetti squash, too.

Thank you for posting that quick & easy microwave method! I'll definitely use that when I need to be speedy. Usually, I roast it in the over for 20 minutes, take it out and cut it in half (so much easier, then!) Then I scoop out the seeds and roast those later, and roast the spaghetti squash halves for 45min-1hour, with just salt, pepper and a clove of garlic in each one. Sooooo good. I do the exact same thing with acorn squashes too, so yummy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I really like this casserole.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845704981/

The recipe calls for Kale but spinach would work as well.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    love doing this. I can eat till im full, but I dont feel "heavy". I also use zuchinni noodles in place of pasta.
  • rjraymon1
    rjraymon1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do prefer the squash over noodles. I like the flavor and texture better...saving the calories or carbs for something else is a bonus for me. 30 mins is a lot to add to my already long workout.

Love the roasted, with salt pepper and garlic, idea! Will definitely try. I'll be adding butternut squash in, too.

I didn't know that I could grow it so easily! ! I will be buying some tomorrow! I love growing my own foods. :smile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @rjraymon1 I might point out that you don't even have to buy the seeds. Simply save a few robust seeds from the raw gourd. I grew my pumpkin this way, and I saved the seeds from a Butternut squash this fall.

It takes a little more work to grow here this far north. It's definitely a summer project.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I do prefer the squash over noodles. I like the flavor and texture better...saving the calories or carbs for something else is a bonus for me. 30 mins is a lot to add to my already long workout.

Love the roasted, with salt pepper and garlic, idea! Will definitely try. I'll be adding butternut squash in, too.

I didn't know that I could grow it so easily! ! I will be buying some tomorrow! I love growing my own foods. :smile:

Not sure where you live but this may or may not be the right time to plant. It is not frost hardy so generally you plant in late spring for harvesting late summer to early fall.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love it too!! I love it with grilled chicken, a bit of enchilada sauce cilantro and a a bit of shredded cheese and black beans. I roast mine in the oven with salt and pepper.

(I get frozen grilled chicken strips and enchilada sauce from trader joes.)

I also love it for breakfast with some diced up turkey breakfast sausage (had that today!) and a bit of sriracha sauce.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'll take the squash and save my carb calories for beer :drinker: