Nervous about going to the gym?

Options
Why am I so nervous to go back to the gym??? I'm wondering if I'm the only one feeling this way?
I have been doing my elliptical workouts at home in my basement for the past several months, but I have...and have had a gym membership for the past 9 or so months and have only been about 3 times with my Dad. Pathetic, I know, there's even child care there so that's PERFECT to occupy my daughter while I work out!
I'm just getting anxiety about going back, maybe because I don't have a personal trainer anymore? Or I'm not in great shape yet like I used to be when I went to the gym all the time?
Any advice?? I feel like this is ridiculous. :sad:

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're worried about. Most people are there to work out. They aren't looking at you - or watching you. They go there to get the job done and go home.
    So - do the same. It's your gym. Get your work out on!
  • AKAngi
    AKAngi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to hate going to the gym too, until I just kept reminding myself that there is *always* going to be someone there in worse shape than you, and everyone is there for the same reason - to get in shape and get healthy. :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Why am I so nervous to go back to the gym??? I'm wondering if I'm the only one feeling this way?
    I have been doing my elliptical workouts at home in my basement for the past several months, but I have...and have had a gym membership for the past 9 or so months and have only been about 3 times with my Dad. Pathetic, I know, there's even child care there so that's PERFECT to occupy my daughter while I work out!
    I'm just getting anxiety about going back, maybe because I don't have a personal trainer anymore? Or I'm not in great shape yet like I used to be when I went to the gym all the time?
    Any advice?? I feel like this is ridiculous. :sad:

ahh you have paid for 9 months, then you should just go and recoup some of your money. I am thinking of leaving my gym, the idea of being in a night club with treadmills dosn't appeal to me, though clearly it appeals to the people who go there...im all about the great outdoors!!!
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i was nervous about going to the gym too... i just decided that i had to do it for my health. I went i did my thing and i left. i never talked to anyone. eventually i started seeing the same faces and started chatting with some of the others working out. now i go to the gym because i get to see my "family!"
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your weight loss so far! you are doing great!! I had the same fear of the gym when I started in January and I was dreading going into the gym and thought everyone would be staring at me and wondering what that fat person was doing there. The truth was so much different! Most people there were focused on them selves and getting their workout in. when I started going to classes, the regulars were really welcoming and would miss me when I was gone. Before I realized it, I had become a regular. So be proud of how far you have come and get in there! Gyms are a great place to try different machines or classes to keep youself motivated!!

Good luck!!
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have always felt uncomfortable about going to gyms. I also feel weird about running in public. I think I just feel like I look stupid, plus I don't know what to wear. Ironically.. I feel kinda-- exposed when I am at a gym.

Instead, I work out at home. I have a Bowflex and Tread Climber and a gazillion other fitness gadgets and dumbbells. I set my goals before I start the workout so I don't slack off.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're worried about. Most people are there to work out. They aren't looking at you - or watching you. They go there to get the job done and go home.
    So - do the same. It's your gym. Get your work out on!

so true..they wont be looking at you..they are usually looking at themselves in my gym...2 women almost got into a cat fight about which treadmill was 'theirs' based only on the fact that one had a MASSIVE mirror in front of it, thus making it more desirable!! go figure!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Honey, at 155 you probably look better than most of the people in there. And it is your gym so you are going there for you and not anyone else. Just imagine, your going to the gym may inspire someone else to go. I challenge you to go today.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    try and not let it bother you.. everyone is there for the same reason.. Go do your workout, feel good about it and the heck with everything else..
  • jgkimo
    jgkimo Posts: 61
    Options
    You can always make up excuses; you just have to decide on making it happen. Just do it.....
  • SkrillexFan
    Options
    I used to feel the same way when I switched gym's because a newer one opened up closer to my home, I kept running into friends from school there and I always felt self conscience about myself when I would go. One thing that really helped me is that there is a huuuuuuuge and fully equipped womens only circuit room, and its kind of a hidden gem in the gym because the door to it isn't easily seen (the gym I currently go to is very very large) and because of that its usually always empty or mostly empty. If your gym has a women's only circuit room I suggest trying it out,at least until you feel comfortable (:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I always remind myself each time I gear up for the gym: I've never regretted going, and always feel great afterward.