Just discovered a great way to satisfy a chocolate craving

Options
Strawblackcat
Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So, today I really wanted some chocolate. And I didn't have any in the house. And it was raining and icky outside, and I really couldn't be bothered to go to the store and get some. Instead, I melted 2 tablespoons of virgin, unrefined coconut oil (the kind that still tastes like coconuts) with a tablespoon of honey, stirred 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder into it, poured it into a silicone muffin cup liner, and stuck into the fridge for 30 minutes. It tasted just like dark chocolate! I was so happy. :) maybe next time I'll add some nuts before freezing it.

Replies

• SmashleyBak
    SmashleyBak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So, today I really wanted some chocolate. And I didn't have any in the house. And it was raining and icky outside, and I really couldn't be bothered to go to the store and get some. Instead, I melted 2 tablespoons of virgin, unrefined coconut oil (the kind that still tastes like coconuts) with a tablespoon of honey, stirred 2 tablespoons of honey into it, poured it into a silicone muffin cup liner, and stuck into the fridge for 30 minutes. It tasted just like dark chocolate! I was so happy. :) maybe next time I'll add some nuts before freezing it.
    Sounds deliciously healthy for an alternative, thank you!!
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use walden farms chocolate dip or syrup with walden farms caramel and add to my coffee and blend. With a half tbsp coconut oil it tastes like a mocha. Satisfies my sweet took too
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    So, today I really wanted some chocolate. And I didn't have any in the house. And it was raining and icky outside, and I really couldn't be bothered to go to the store and get some. Instead, I melted 2 tablespoons of virgin, unrefined coconut oil (the kind that still tastes like coconuts) with a tablespoon of honey, stirred 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder into it, poured it into a silicone muffin cup liner, and stuck into the fridge for 30 minutes. It tasted just like dark chocolate! I was so happy. :) maybe next time I'll add some nuts before freezing it.

Yummy! Thanks for sharing that!
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    im laughing reading this because it reminds me when i was stuck at home the other month and had major pms cravings. I took peanut butter mixed it with some powdered sugar and a drop of vanilla extract. My husband walked in and I was spoon deep in peanut butter...he kind of freaked for a few days thinking i was pregnant.

your concoction sounds much healthier and I will have to remember it for my next macgyver pms craving escapade
  • rjraymon1
    rjraymon1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Going to try this! I LOVE dark chocolate!
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have been making coconut oil "fudge" for a long time and it always hits the spot! This is the recipe I use:

1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
    1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
    1/8 cup raw honey (or to taste, may need more or less depending on how sweet you want it)
    dash of vanilla

Sometimes I'll add a little bit of all natural peanut butter for a Reese's flavor, or mix in some nuts or seeds for crunch. The variations are endless!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    that's very nice! thanks for sharing!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, but for the calories, if it's chocolate you're after, you'd be better off with a couple squares of dark chocolate, lol.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Sounds delicious, but for the calories, if it's chocolate you're after, you'd be better off with a couple squares of dark chocolate, lol.

Yeah. A few squares of good quality chocolate, eaten one bite at a time and let each bite melt in your mouth. You end up feeling as if you've eaten a lot more chocolate than you actually did! Well it works for me, anyway. ;)
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have done something similar and a friend said "WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO COOK LIKE THIS?" haha

Get a banana, freeze it for a few hours - take it out.
    Melt some coconut oil in a separate bowl with a teaspoon of cocoa - dash it on top of said banana.

The melted coconut will freeze once it touches the banana and it's...AMAZING
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, you could pour the melted cocoa-coconut mixture over the banana ice cream and get an instant chocolate shell!
  • kstar191
    kstar191 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love that mix with an avocado! I throw it all in a food processor, then in the fridge to harden to a fudge consistancey.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I always keep a bag of chocolate chips in my fridge. That's my go to when I need a little bit of a chocolate fix. Just a small handful is plenty.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Lots of calories though! 330 is a big chunk of my day.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    lmr0528 wrote: »
    I always keep a bag of chocolate chips in my fridge. That's my go to when I need a little bit of a chocolate fix. Just a small handful is plenty.

Read your post and remembered my stash.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Omg, trying this really soon!
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    mpat81 wrote: »
    lmr0528 wrote: »

Read your post and remembered my stash.

Keeping it in a cabinet "out of sight out of mind" is a great way to minimize temptation as well! :)

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    kuroshii wrote: »
    A few squares of good quality chocolate, eaten one bite at a time and let each bite melt in your mouth. You end up feeling as if you've eaten a lot more chocolate than you actually did! Well it works for me, anyway. ;)

A great tip, this works for me too, and if I take just a couple of squares from the bar then put the rest away out of sight before eating it I'm far less likely to go back for more.