Healthy Choices

Options
There are some healthy foods that you can eat just about anytime. Fruits and vegetables should make up a great portion of your diet. You can incorporate these into your main meals or snack on them. Recently I have substituted the processed foods that i often snack on for carrots, apples, and celery.
In terms of grains I found that it it healthier to stick with whole-grains. So if you love your starches it would be good to stick with whole grain pastas, brown rice, and whole grain cereals. I've started to eat a better breakfast. I've discovered that they make wholegrain cheerios not only multi -grain cheerios. Score! I have also started to eat peanut butter sandwiches again. And recently made some macaroni salad. It consists of noodles, celery, olives, and eggs! Delicious.
As for dairy I was told that it is healthier to consume fat free or low fat milk products. As of right now i have been drinking 1% milk. I also decided to invest in some Greek yogurt that was recommended to me. They have some pretty good flavors. I personally like the raspberry chocolate. The only problem i seem to have run into is ice cream. I really love ice cream so if anyone has suggestions regarding any low fat ice cream products or substitutes i would be grateful to hear about it.
That's all folks!

Replies

• melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    To each their own. Find what works for you and stick to it.

As for ice cream, I only have it on rare occasions. Compare the nutritional information and choose the one that fits your macros. Otherwise, there is frozen yogourt. Personaly, I'll have a smoothie before having a bowl of ice cream.
  • parrotthead
    parrotthead Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like to blend up some frozen bananas or other fruit and greek yogurt for an ice cream like option. You can eat it straight out of the blender or put back into the freezer to firm up for a more realistic texture. The greek yogurt, especially if you choose one with some fat, really gives an amazing creamy texture. To make it even easier, you can just freeze one of your flavored greek yogurt packs that you already have! Give it a minute or two at room temperature to soften slightly and it's really delicious. Otherwise, just enjoy your regular ice cream on a special occasion and not every night unless it fits in with your goals.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am all about the Edy's slow churned ice cream. It is around 100 calories for 1/2 a cup and helps me get my "fix". There are a decent amount of flavors to choose from too so that you can switch it up. It is the closest thing I have found to "real" ice cream. I also occasionally buy the skinny cow products, mainly the mint chocolate ice cream sandwiches.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    There are some healthy foods that you can eat just about anytime. Fruits and vegetables should make up a great portion of your diet. You can incorporate these into your main meals or snack on them. Recently I have substituted the processed foods that i often snack on for carrots, apples, and celery.
    In terms of grains I found that it it healthier to stick with whole-grains. So if you love your starches it would be good to stick with whole grain pastas, brown rice, and whole grain cereals. I've started to eat a better breakfast. I've discovered that they make wholegrain cheerios not only multi -grain cheerios. Score! I have also started to eat peanut butter sandwiches again. And recently made some macaroni salad. It consists of noodles, celery, olives, and eggs! Delicious.
    As for dairy I was told that it is healthier to consume fat free or low fat milk products. As of right now i have been drinking 1% milk. I also decided to invest in some Greek yogurt that was recommended to me. They have some pretty good flavors. I personally like the raspberry chocolate. The only problem i seem to have run into is ice cream. I really love ice cream so if anyone has suggestions regarding any low fat ice cream products or substitutes i would be grateful to hear about it.
    That's all folks!

Many ice creams have serving sizes that are anywhere from 150-300 cals. My favorite is Talenti gelato at about 220 cals/serving - but many of the Slow Churned options are less than 200 cals. If you are filling your day with primarily nutrient dense food, and it sounds like you are working on fitting in more of those - then there's nothing wrong with leaving a little room at the end of the day for something you truly enjoy.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Sorbets and frozen yoghurts are often a lower calorie alternative to ice-creams, but Swedish Glace make a delicious soya dessert in various flavours. I have tried the vanilla, raspberry and chocolate flavours and they are tastier than dairy ice-cream imo, but as high in calories as some dairy ice-creams. A lovely occasional treat though.