1800-2000 calorie diets

Options
Hey all,

I have a lot of trouble feeling full on a 1800 calorie diet (2000 with exercise). Anyone else who feels full and eats around this range, can you post what you eat/ate to stay satisfied? I mean I know it's a pretty high cal diet compared to a lot of people around here, but I am having trouble staying full!!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Eat some protein with fats and fiber at each meal.

Open your food diary and people can suggest changes you can make.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    100 grams of fat, 200 grams of protein you still have 300 calories for carbs you will feel full... I try two big meals a day almost 1000 calories per meal sometimes 6-8 ounces of shrimp for a snack at night
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Full or not hungry? Big difference. +1 on opening your diary. Feel free to look at mine. I'm currently targeting 1600-ish. Won't say that I stay full, but what hunger I have isn't bothersome...not tired or hangry.
  • parrotthead
    parrotthead Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 1800 calorie range and while I'm still trying to figure it all out, I will definitely agree that making sure I get enough protein and fat and as much fiber as possible is a game changer for me.

Definitely open up your food diary if you are comfortable doing so! It really helps to let people see what you are eating even if you aren't doing everything perfectly.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Full or not hungry? Big difference. +1 on opening your diary. Feel free to look at mine. I'm currently targeting 1600-ish. Won't say that I stay full, but what hunger I have isn't bothersome...not tired or hangry.

What he said. Feeling full and being hungry are 2 different things!

You could reduce your servings at meals to have more snacks throughout the day. Like greek yogourt with granola, dried fruits with nuts, veggies with cheese, and so on. That way, you could eat every 2 hours.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    100 grams of fat, 200 grams of protein you still have 300 calories for carbs you will feel full... I try two big meals a day almost 1000 calories per meal sometimes 6-8 ounces of shrimp for a snack at night

I couldn't function on 75 grams of carbs per day and if I don't get carbs I feel like I'm starving, especially since it's harder to get fiber in with such few carbs. The OP probably doesn't need 200 grams of protein. She's a 27 year old female and highly unlikely that she's a bodybuilder (I'm a female bodybuilder and I don't need 200 grams of protein).
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am in that range. I am a vegetarian, so no meat here. I eat eggs, veg, and whole grain bread or potatoes for breakfast, and plenty of veggies with lunch and dinner to fill up the plate.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Are you eating minimally processed foods? Or eating out of boxes? That makes a huge difference! In addition to having protein and fat at every meal.. Eat your veggies!!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Ask 10 people why they still feel the need to eat after X number of calories and you'll get different correct answers.

1. Some people greatly underestimate their level of activity, so what should seem like enough of a caloric intake is still difficult to maintain.

2. Some people want to feel full to feel satisfied. This could be psychological and/or physiological (e.g., stomach elasticity and stretch receptors).

3. The composition of foods seem to influence feelings of satiety, with fats and proteins "lasting longer", whereas but carbs may "fill you up" more in the short term.

4. "Hunger" due to emotional reasons, such as comfort.

• Michael190lbs
    edited October 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I couldn't function on 75 grams of carbs per day and if I don't get carbs I feel like I'm starving, especially since it's harder to get fiber in with such few carbs. The OP probably doesn't need 200 grams of protein. She's a 27 year old female and highly unlikely that she's a bodybuilder (I'm a female bodybuilder and I don't need 200 grams of protein).

I agree with your thought on this but the question was about feeling full not about building muscle. I do agree 200 grams of protein more than likely won't or can't be used to build muscle but it does make me feel a lot fuller. so make it 150 grams protein and 75 grams fat then she can eat 181 grams of carbs on 2000 calories.. Cool?:):)

USMcMP -- Fantastic Transformation you should be proud!!!
  • jasondinger
    jasondinger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay in that range myself, but have the identical problem. I feel hungry all of the time. I keep apples and oranges in my office to stave off the hunger, but around 4 - 6pm (just before dinner) I'm starving. My diary is open, and if anyone has time, please have a look and tell me if you see any teaks, OR if I am wasting calories. I'm open to suggestion.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I agree with your thought on this but the question was about feeling full not about building muscle. I do agree 200 grams of protein more than likely won't or can't be used to build muscle but it does make me feel a lot fuller. so make it 150 grams protein and 75 grams fat then she can eat 181 grams of carbs on 2000 calories.. Cool?:):)

USMcMP -- Fantastic Transformation you should be proud!!!

Thank you! It took a long time, as I'm sure you know :)

I agree that those adjusted macros would probably be better as far as filling goes. Plenty of protein and fat, decent amount of carbs to get fiber in. Would allow her to get filling foods 80-90% of the time with enough flexibility to fit a small treat in there (I have a sweet tooth, so I take that possibility into account with suggestions to others).
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, what they said! Get plenty of protein, fat & fiber.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    During the work week, I eat very light while at work - usually just two bars (either granola and/or protein). I eat a big meal for dinner that is most of my daily calories (1200ish+). About half of the time it's a meat entree (my favorites are tacos, burgers, or grilled chicken) and the other half is just miscellaneous meals (today I ate a frozen pizza that happened to fit nicely into my calorie goals).

I find meats and starches the most filling, so I often have a side of "fries" (in quotes because I actually bake them) or a pasta meal.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    At almost 2 years losing weight, I have tried everything in the book (more fiber, high and low of every combo of macros, loads of water, etc.). For me, the only thing that works is to make a conscious choice to either do what it takes to lose weight or not. I just have to accept that being hungry all the time is a sacrifice needed to make in order to lose weight.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary. I eat relatively high protein, high volume, moderate fat and carbs.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    At almost 2 years losing weight, I have tried everything in the book (more fiber, high and low of every combo of macros, loads of water, etc.). For me, the only thing that works is to make a conscious choice to either do what it takes to lose weight or not. I just have to accept that being hungry all the time is a sacrifice needed to make in order to lose weight.

That's sad. I have hungry days during certain parts in my cycle, but I'm not hungry all the time by any means. I used to be. It took me a while to figure out how to eat to fix my hunger.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I sent a friend request. You can look at my diary. I have a goal of 1800 at maintenance. I still get the nibbles at times, but mostly I feel satisfied under those calories. I try to do moderate carb (aiming for under 150g, don't often make it, but pretty much always less than my 40% macro). I find Greek yogurt quite filling. I rarely eat out - it is hard to stay under and not be hungry for me if I'm not cooking at home.
  • Michael190lbs
    Options
    I agree sad to live being hungry- the only time I'm hungry is about 730 am after 75 weights and 30min cardio but I eat 1000 calories and 100 grams of protein at 830am and I'm great with just one more meal and a small snack the rest of the day. I have lost over 100lbs and am pretty ripped couldn't do it being hungry all the time
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I agree sad to live being hungry- the only time I'm hungry is about 730 am after 75 weights and 30min cardio but I eat 1000 calories and 100 grams of protein at 830am and I'm great with just one more meal and a small snack the rest of the day. I have lost over 100lbs and am pretty ripped couldn't do it being hungry all the time

Yes, I'm jealous of the typical MFP user who has it easy (though most do not even comprehend just how hard it is for some of us, and they still believe they have it hard). I have times when I'll get frustrated enough and eat too much. I'm at around 1,600 calories daily to finally get some weight loss. I was hungry all the time when I was on 2,100 calories daily and at 1,800 calories daily; except I would lose much more slowly (or not at all) at those calorie levels.

Still, there are days that I just can't stand it anymore and I eat too much. Those days can take weeks to erase. I've had a lot of challenges with weight loss that most on MFP do not understand both from a scientific perspective (sometimes I understand the science of what is happening and sometimes I don't... in cases where I understand, it's because of unusual ways my body works - I have medical conditions and more training on some of them than most M.D.'s) and from the perspective of how challenging it is.

Having said that, my advice for the OP is the same as earlier (though maybe it is better understood now): If you can't find something that works, decide whether losing weight is worth being hungry. If it is, then accept the hunger as a "cost" of losing weight.