always hungry in the morning

Options
I usually wake hungry, which is great because I realize that I did well with my calorie intake the day before. I always have oatmeal with a banana in the morning. This fills me up for about an hour or two and then I'm hungry again. I try to hold off on a mid-morning snack until 11 or so, but sometimes I'm starving all morning! I wonder if my metabolism is better, processing calories faster. Does anyone experience the same thing?

Replies

• mammado11
    mammado11 Posts: 26
    Options
    Add protein to your breakfast it will fill you up longer!
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also am always hungry in the morning, I've always been a breakfast eater. I do exercise though before eating and this helps stave off the hunger until around 9, I eat cereal and fruit and that gets me through until lunch. It's amazing to me though how many people are not breakfast eaters.
  • missballast
    Options
    Yay for eating breakfast. Its the most important meal because it really does get your metabolism going. You may want to add in some healthy snacks a few times a day - 1/2 an apple, almonds, yogurt, or something along those lines. You'll have less total calories to "spend" on lunch and dinner, but you'll be satisfied and content all day.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

I agree!
  • WeightLossExperiment
    Options
    Personally, I load up on breakfast with nearly 1/3 of the caloric intake for the day. Lots of protein to keep me energized too. I usually have to force myself to have a light snack in the morning and I'm still not very hungry by lunch time. But this makes it easier to make smarter choices for lunch. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! When I started eating a hearty breakfast, the weight seemed to drop much easier... and faster. :)
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    Are you using rolled oats rather than the quick-cook oatmeal? If not, that will make a big difference.

I agree with adding protein -- a scoop of protein powder or a sprinkling of nuts or even flax seeds would help a bit.
  • Jwls23
    Jwls23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to NEVEr be hungry in the morning until about 10 or so but for the past week or so I am waking up starving, the feeling hits as soon as my eyes open. I haven't been eating my exercise calories so I wonder if this has something to do with it.
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    Dump some protein shake type stuff in your oatmeal and an ounce of walnuts. Some protein and healthy fat would probably do the trick.
  • Jwls23
    Jwls23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to NEVEr be hungry in the morning until about 10 or so but for the past week or so I am waking up starving, the feeling hits as soon as my eyes open. I haven't been eating my exercise calories so I wonder if this has something to do with it.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same!!

I have brekkie at 6.30am (oats, yogurt, fruit, sometimes some nuts), then I'm usually hungry before I've even arrived at work! I pretty much snack all morning until lunch, and then find I'm OK in the afternoon.

I have to say I had eggs on toast the other morning (crazy 450ish calories) but they kept me going pretty much all morning and I didn't drive my colleagues mad with the constant eating ;o)
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I wake up with a growling stomach,so much so that I really look forward to breakfast in the morning, starting the night before when I pre log what I want to eat. I try to eat mostly protein with 1 serving of carb for breakfast, either grain based or a piece of fruit. I find that doing that will keep me full for about 5 hours until I have a chance to eat lunch. I try to eat 20-25 grams of protein every morning, I eat eggs, egg beaters, ham, turkey sausage or turkey bacon.
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    I love breakfast -- it is my FAVORITE meal of the day!
    You might want to consider eating a bigger breakfast and definitely add in some protein. You can mix protein powder in with your oatmeal (or peanut flour, yum!). You could also add hardboiled or scrambled egg whites as a side to your oatmeal. I eat oats almost every single morning (I eat cold oats :O) and I add a protein to the side or IN the oats, and I'm good to go for 3-4hours. :)
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options

I agree, if you increase your protein you will stay full longer.
  • lolowink
    lolowink Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! My breakfast is about 300 calories right now, so I could definitely beef it up. I think protein is a good idea. I'm vegetarian and I have a tough time getting my daily amount, which is really important since I'm weight training (I use whey protein powder after workouts). I'll try eating a hard-boiled egg tomorrow morning with my usual to see if that helps!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Or, save the hard boiled egg for when you start getting hungry. It's a good idea to have some protein about an hour before you workout, too.
  • Mozzafiata731
    Options
    Old fashioned rolled oats are best for breakfast if you want oatmeal- it's also normal that you're hungry two hrs after- I usually eat every two hours to keep my stomach and metabolism working. Foods high in fiber and protien will keep you fuller longer- low sodium fat free ham or turkey on some wasa bread is a good snack and low in calories too- oranges are a great snack too! :)