1 month NO SCALE challege

Options
I've decided I obsess over weighing myself a bit much, so I've decided to go a month without weighing to sort of break the habit (cold turkey is something I do well and is effective).

Today I REALLY want to weigh myself, to see the progress, but I also know that if, for whatever reason, the number isn't lower than expected, it would negatively impact my mood and food choices.

I just wanted to share, and see if anyone else ever does this sort of thing, or deals with obsession with the scale?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying - but think that by having a '1 month no scale challenge' you are only reinforcing the obsession you have with the scale itself. Instead of using it as a 'break the habit' thing, you are using it to see just how much you can lose in a month and you admitted already that you will be very disappointed if you don't see a lower number than expected. I'd say there are much better ways to deal with overly relying on scales.

How about taking measurements at the same time? :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    A 30 day abstinence period is often recommended to break bad habits. I think you are wise. For me a week and a half or two weeks is enough, but you know you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I prefer my trend chart but good luck
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options

I'm pretty happy with my rate at just over 2lb/week (ish). Tbh I don't even mind if I don't lose anything...although I'd probably be disappointed if I gained
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth a shot if scale obsession/weighing obsession is an issue. I usually like weighing every day but had to pull back a bit on it for a period this year. Experimenting with different ways of doing things is fun. I just see this as another type of experiment. Good luck!
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I did two months off while on maintainance, after climbing back on I'd put on a kilo which isn't a disaster!.

Normally weigh every two weeks now..

While dieting I weighed every day without fail.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If it's feeling obsessive, stop doing it. Easy enough!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    I've decided I obsess over weighing myself a bit much, so I've decided to go a month without weighing to sort of break the habit (cold turkey is something I do well and is effective).

Today I REALLY want to weigh myself, to see the progress, but I also know that if, for whatever reason, the number isn't lower than expected, it would negatively impact my mood and food choices.

I just wanted to share, and see if anyone else ever does this sort of thing, or deals with obsession with the scale?

You eat even more if you see you're not losing weight?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Great idea if you think it will work for you, OP. And it appears you are continuing to make progress. I don't get too caught up with the #'s on the scale anyway. I prefer to keep track of measurements. That way water weight fluctuations don't get to me. Then again, I'm in maintenance so that makes a difference, too.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Im a bit obsessed with the scale too but Im so early in my plan that I need to know if I'm on the right path with my CICO.

So to combat my typical "if the number is not what I want to see then Im gonna throw a fit and eat crap and cry" route, i weigh daily. Yep, it varies by many pounds sometimes but each day I feel less emotionally affected by it because I know Im not seeing the trend yet. I want to, and I will, but I need enough data to make an accurate analysis and i need at least 30-60 days to really know if there is a downward trend.

I certainly relate to the scale influencing your mood and choices!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I prefer my trend chart but good luck

I weigh daily but don't look at anything except a longer moving average. Wifi scale would make this easy too. Just close your eyes through the process.