I'm a "Fit Fat"

Options
sd101483
sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
I finally went off to the doctor this week after not having been there for a very very long time. Picked up a new physician. I really just wanted some labs done to see how I'm doing. Long story short, I'm the picture of health! I'm still technically considered "obese" with the whole height to weight ratio thing, but, I'm healthy as can be!

My BP has come down into a normal range (190/90 last time it was checked and 140/72 this time around, with "white coat syndrome" - 136/68 @ home). I dropped my cholesterol by 80 points which is now super normal. I raised my good cholesterol by 20 points which is fantastic. My fasting blood sugar was 85 (95 or 96 the last time I had it checked) - this from someone who has a family full of diabetics (Type II - all of them! Mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, cousins, etc), and my thyroid is functioning perfectly.

I once was thought to be insulin resistant and/or have metabolic syndrome - I no longer qualify as at risk for either of those.

To have the tests done, the doc needed a diagnosis so insurance will cover, he sat pondering and then he says "Well, obesity usually does it, but, you aren't..." I had to CONVINCE him that I AM obese...he was shocked when he looked it up on the chart.

It's absolutely 100% proof that healthy eating and exercise is the BEST thing you can do. I have not taken any medications to rectify any of it - just good ol diet and exercise, and dropping almost 50 lbs! :)

Go forth and workout! If I can do it, so can you!

Replies

• Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Good for you :) Well done!
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that is really great. :)
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Love it! Congratulations!!
  • darlat74
    darlat74 Posts: 23
    Options
    Way to go. Keep up the great work!!
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! To me these results mean so much more than looking good. Don't get me wrong I'm excited to have a nice body, but knowing that your lab values and vital signs are in good standing and you're not at risk for very problematic, chronic diseases is amazing. I guess that's my perspective from working in the healthcare field. Anyways, congratulations!!
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    this is a fabulous affirmation, and not unlike my own story - my blood pressure went from 'barely high' to the LOW end of normal in three months flat - and i'd only lost about 12 lbs at that point.

health is GOOD!!
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! To me these results mean so much more than looking good. Don't get me wrong I'm excited to have a nice body, but knowing that your lab values and vital signs are in good standing and you're not at risk for very problematic, chronic diseases is amazing. I guess that's my perspective from working in the healthcare field. Anyways, congratulations!!

That was most of my motivation, as well - of course, I wanted to look and feel better, but I want to be healthy. I work in health care (RN) and have seen first hand just what can happen. I also thought to myself, if I'm going to be educating people on being healthy, I had better be healthy myself. Why would they take me seriously otherwise! :) The affirmation that I'm HEALTHY on the INSIDE is the BEST!
  • xelapw
    xelapw Posts: 12
    Options
    Thats fantastic. Well done you. Could be that describes me too. I exercise every day and have done for nearly 30 years apart from a few blips when i gave up because I was ill or just depressed. I have so much muscle I look like Olga the Russian shot putt champion but I am clinically obese!
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Well done SD! The health benefits are great pay offs for the hard work eh!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I am as well. Still on B/P meds. When first diagnosed it was 200/164. The first med I tried did the trick and now after losing weight it's down to 100/60. Dr. is going to lower dose next visit in July. All my blood work is good, he said that was probably the only thing keeping me alive. I still have 100 pounds to go but can't wait to get off all meds.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that is a huge NSV!
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you! It's been great being your "cyber friend" on here and seeing your results! You have grabbed the bull by the horns and showed it who was boss! Way to go, you totally rock!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!