Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

C25K when heavily overweight

I usually do at least two 5k's annually, but now with being on MFP and actively trying to be more athletic and lose weight I really want to start jogging them. I am also signing up for Bay to Breakers in San Francisco, which is a half marathon. I want to start trying the Couch to 5k and see if I can begin jogging regularly. My concern is that I am heavily overweight, trying to lose 200 lbs, and I'm concerned that my jogging with how overweight I am will damage my knee's irreparably. Has anyone else who's at least decently overweight tried the C25k and had good results? Or what were your experiences with the C25K program?

Replies

• prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 721 Member
    I am about 40 pounds overweight and I did the C25k with a group. It was a good experience and I ran my first 5k in 36 minutes!!! You go at your own pace. So if you want to start with a fast walk or a pace a little faster than your walk it's up to you. When you feel you can go faster then go faster. I realized that I don't like to run!! Good luck to you!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    I won't say that is would be bad for your knees not knowing how your general well being is. The great thing about C25K is that you go at your own pace so to speak. Meaning your walking pace and initial running/jogging pace is very close speed wise - if you walk at 3.5 mph, you would start running/jogging at maybe a 3.8, it takes time for you to get adjusted to the motion of running/jogging as opposed to walking. C25K is not about speed.

For me personally I waited until I lost about 70lbs (244 - 175) before really getting into it - the motion of running with the amount of 'junk in my trunk' was hard on my lower back! Give it a try, go slow, and listen to your body!!!

Kudos for doing the B2B, I live in SF and still haven't done one . . . who knows!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I was too afraid to start running until I got under 200 pounds. Same fears you have; joint damage and all that. Your concerns are genuine. I suggest you absorb the knowledge of this great lady:

http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.ca/

When I was going through the program with my weight loss team, my physiotherapist really wanted me to do aquasize (water aerobics) to get my cardiovascular going without putting too much strain on my joints. But frankly those classes looked like they were full of old ladies to me. Not my thing. I've done Zumba instead along with all sorts of activities modified to low impact.

Something I've learned about being so overweight and sedentary so long, is that I had a weak core. Weak core led to tight hips (the hips were doing all the work to keep me upright). Tight hips led to pronation at the knees. I wear anti-pronating footwear and I do exercises to strengthen core, loosen hips, and strengthen around the knees to compensate for all that.

If you can at all swing it financially, it could really help to get some advice from a sports physiotherapist. I am very lucky to have a great physio office attached to the local fitness facility.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    I started C25K in January when I was at my heaviest - 238.6 lbs. It took me longer than 8 weeks to completed the program (I had to repeat some weeks and even went back a week once). After I completed the program and tried regularly jogging 5k, I started getting shin splints quite bad. I went about 4 months just doing a walking program on the treadmill. I got fitted for proper running shoes and am now jogging 5k without any shin splints. I believe the pain was do more to my shoes and less to my weight. If you haven't already, I recommend investing in a proper pair of running shoes. Mine were $150 but so worth not being in pain.

I would say go for it (assuming you're cleared by your doctor for that type of physical activity), but be prepared to take it slower. And listen to your body.

Also, another great app, that is less structured than the C25K is Zombies, Run 5k. It's a little more "go at your own pace" with what they call "free form runs" where you walk or jog as much or as little as you can. They also incorporate some knee lifts and calf raises to build strength in your legs.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I started running at 228 and I did 6 weeks of c25k I ran my 5 kill the way but I injured my knee n hip bc I was wearing shoes that were past due. I had to quit running bc the injury kept recurring so I think I'll try it again soon. But I was doing p90x too at the time. I think get compression shorts to hold in the layers (helps back pain) get 2pair good runners and be fitted at a pro running store and go slow. I finished 5th from last at 20 min mile but I ran the whole thing. I am so proud of that.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Oh go very slow with increasing your running mileage too
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Elliptical and stationary bike are low impact

Jogging can be rough on the legs, carrying some weight makes it worse.

The tricky thing about running and getting a knee issue is that it can last a while and set you back on training if you overcook it.

I like reducing some of the high impact and adding in lower impact with a similar training or calorie burn volume.

I have a elliptical and bike on a trainer at home just for that. I still run. It isn't my favorite but I do it.

If you have never tried compression socks that go up your calves give them a shot

I like them. Opinions vary.

Cheap on Amazon

Some say they help with recovery.

With 200 lbs to drop, I would seriously proceed with caution and ask your doctor. Diet and low impact seems a more logical choice. The stress would be like running carrying someone on your back. That has to be rough.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Start slowly, almost painfully slowly, don't over stride, start off with what would seem like baby steps, almost a shuffle, keeping you feet almost under you. You can stride out more once you get comfortable. Don't be worried about walking. you're still covering a distance. Repeat a day, or a week, as you feel you need to. This is not a race, this is a fitness program, that will help you feel better. You'll get it if you want it.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    I completed C25K a few times over the years being over 300 pounds at 5' 8". It is a good idea to take it slow and not push yourself to go too fast or progress too quickly – but that is good advice for any new runner. Regarding knee issues, they usually result in having weak glutes or from back issues. They trickle down. So doing a good strength training program while you're trying to run is a great idea. Do a little research about it. I've been dealing with runner's knee for a couple months and working with a physical therapist to get stronger in the right areas, but that was after building it up to being able to run 5.5 miles! I currently weigh in at around 270, but I have friends who also suffer the same issues who are not overweight. Don't let the what ifs deter you – try it out and be careful, listening to your body.

Enjoy!