Personal Trainer Keeps Cancelling!

Options
summerdaze120
summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
edited October 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hey MFP,

I need some advice! I have never worked with a Personal Trainer before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I went to my local gym and was matched up with one of their PT's. We set-up days/times for my weekly training sessions (twice a week). The first week went great - I showed up for both sessions and I did the workouts.

The second week my trainer canceled for one of the days, which I was given notice. That same week they canceled again due to another obligation coming up - they told me that morning and sent me a routine that I could do on my own, but I wasn't really able to do most of it because I didn't know what machines/moves to use.

Now we are on week three: I was very excited for my session today and showed up at the gym on time. My trainer was not there. So, I sent my PT a message asking if we were still training today and I was told that they had forgotten about it and didn't think I was going to show-up because they hadn't heard from me (is it proper etiquette for the client to notify their PT that they are showing up for each session?). They offered to meet me tomorrow at a different time, but I just don't know....I told my PT that I wanted to end our sessions and see if I could get with a new trainer that had a schedule that worked with mine. Did I do the right thing by asking for a different trainer? Should I have given them another chance? I paid a lot of money upfront for PT sessions and I want to make sure that I get my monies worth.

Also, I have nothing wrong with my PT personally as a person/trainer, but the canceling is something I can't get past. Is this type of cancelling normal?

Thanks for your advice and input. I have never had a PT relationship before...

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Your personal trainer doesn't sound very personal.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the cancelling is normal, but I'd think not. If you paid for your sessions up front, then yes, you definitely deserve to get the benefit of them.

No, you're not wrong for asking for a different trainer. Sometimes we connect with people and not with others. Hopefully your new trainer won't flake out on you like that. If it does happen again, speak to the gym managers or owners. And ask your new trainer if he/she needs confirmation of each appointment. As long as you both know ahead of time what to expect it should work out better.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer 3x a week for about 4mo now. I've had one no show and one cancellation in advance. Nothing as bad as you are experiencing. I don't ever notify my trainer I'm coming. I have an appointment, it should be a given. I think you're definitely right to seek out another trainer, and I hope you find someone more committed to helping you.
  • jessicer5
    jessicer5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and she keeps me update and let's me know about a week in advance if she is going out of town ect. Your trainer should be dedicated to you and possibly has taken on too many people I would find a new one if I was you.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "you didn't notify me you were coming" was a way to try to place the blame on you even though they forgot about the session. I don't have to call my dentist before an appointment to confirm I'm coming. The assumption is that if I have an appointment I will show up, why should a PT be any different. You are absolutely not in the wrong at all for requesting a new personal trainer. It's hard enough to get going on the journey to fitness without a PT cancelling and no showing to appointments! I hope you find another PT that's dedicated to helping you.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    no way, fire them and get a new one. I'd also make sure you didn't get charged for the sessions they were not physically there for, and that you have those sessions still "available" to spend with a different trainer - one who wants to work.
  • joshuajdouce
    joshuajdouce Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer doesn't sound committed to helping you achieve your goals. If it's a trainer from the local gym you might want to look for someone not affiliated with the gym like a self employed trainer. But definitely get rid o the one you have!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Are you joking, the PT said that he didn't show up because you didn't confirm your appointment?? Nooo. He should be calling you!!! Unless I was his very first client, I would fire him right away and get my money back for those missed sessions. It's not the client's responsibility to follow up, he is technically selling his services and experience to you, he should be calling you. That's one of the first things you learn when training to be a salesperson.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Super unprofessional, fire them!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Bye, Felicia!
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new trainer - and I would even talk to the gym people (or whomever helped you set up the PT appointment) and mention it to them. Don't think of it as "ratting them out" if that might be an issue for you, but doing other people a service because this is not ok. Even if it's something that doesn't happen with the PT usually, the fact that you're a new client should (I think) mean that they'd be extra motivating and encourage you to go! And if this particular PT requires you to confirm that you're coming in (which sounds silly and like a bad excuse) then they should've said so from the start! (Besides, you didn't the first week, did you?)

I'd get out now and find someone you actually like who does a better job and you feel more comfortable with, because you waste more money on it!
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You definitely did the right thing. Why would you waste your time and money just to be nice to a trainer who isn't being courteous or professional.
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for answering! I was really confused on what a "good relationship" is supposed to be like with a PT. I spoke with the manager at the gym and have been set-up with a new trainer. A part of me does feel bad, but I keep reminding myself that I paid good money and expect quality service! Thanks so much again for your input :#
  • joshuajdouce
    joshuajdouce Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hope it goes better this time round :) keep us updated
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for answering! I was really confused on what a "good relationship" is supposed to be like with a PT. I spoke with the manager at the gym and have been set-up with a new trainer. A part of me does feel bad, but I keep reminding myself that I paid good money and expect quality service! Thanks so much again for your input :#

Trainer was not doing his job. What is there for you to feel bad about?
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't feel bad. The PT should feel bad for being such a flake. Hope all goes well with the new trainer!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Yeah, don't feel bad. The PT should feel bad for being such a flake. Hope all goes well with the new trainer!

I completely agree. And, don't avoid the other trainer if you still see them at the gym. You did nothing wrong. As a matter of fact, if they ask you be honest as to why you switched. Maybe this trainer has no idea how off-putting his cancelling is. It maybe help him improve in the future. Good luck!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP,

I need some advice! I have never worked with a Personal Trainer before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I went to my local gym and was matched up with one of their PT's. We set-up days/times for my weekly training sessions (twice a week). The first week went great - I showed up for both sessions and I did the workouts.

The second week my trainer canceled for one of the days, which I was given notice. That same week they canceled again due to another obligation coming up - they told me that morning and sent me a routine that I could do on my own, but I wasn't really able to do most of it because I didn't know what machines/moves to use.

Now we are on week three: I was very excited for my session today and showed up at the gym on time. My trainer was not there. So, I sent my PT a message asking if we were still training today and I was told that they had forgotten about it and didn't think I was going to show-up because they hadn't heard from me (is it proper etiquette for the client to notify their PT that they are showing up for each session?). They offered to meet me tomorrow at a different time, but I just don't know....I told my PT that I wanted to end our sessions and see if I could get with a new trainer that had a schedule that worked with mine. Did I do the right thing by asking for a different trainer? Should I have given them another chance? I paid a lot of money upfront for PT sessions and I want to make sure that I get my monies worth.

Also, I have nothing wrong with my PT personally as a person/trainer, but the canceling is something I can't get past. Is this type of cancelling normal?

Thanks for your advice and input. I have never had a PT relationship before...
    Move on. I despise trainers like that. They don't have your best interests at hand, just that they get paid to train you whether you get results or not.
    Personally myself, I rarely ever have to cancel with a client (I could count on my hand how many times in almost 20 years) and I always show up assuming the client will always keep their appointment unless notified previously. We're paid professionals and if I had an appointment with a doctor or dentist and they told me "oh I FORGOT I had an appointment with you", I'd find a new one.
    Sorry you had to go through that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The trainer is supposed to motivate you, you aren't supposed to have to motivate them just to show up! You did good sticking up for yourself. Hopefully you get a trainer who trains people because they love it, not just because it's their job.