HELP with meal ideas to get more protein.

Options
I'm eating at a deficit to reduce body fat but I need more protein in my diet. I'm trying to have chicken and beef in meals but when I put it into recipes it seems to reduce the protein. I live quiet a busy lifestyle during the week. I bring my breakfast with me to work usually cereal with milk and for lunch (needs to be pre packed) sane hive, salad, soup or left overs. Then for dinner I have things like currys, spag bol but then other days like peppered chop with veg and small amount of carbs. But it gets boring.

Any advice on how to fit easy and protein filled meals into my day?
Thanks!!

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You could replace your cereal/milk with a breakfast burrito, egg sandwich, or fritatta. All of those can be made ahead of time and stored in your freezer so they're ready to go when you are (http://www.hellobee.com/2014/02/06/10-make-ahead-freezer-breakfasts/).
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I have started adding whey protein to my oatmeal. It's actually pretty good, especially if I mix in some fruit too.
  • lauraloy2013
    lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    You could replace your cereal/milk with a breakfast burrito, egg sandwich, or fritatta. All of those can be made ahead of time and stored in your freezer so they're ready to go when you are (http://www.hellobee.com/2014/02/06/10-make-ahead-freezer-breakfasts/).

Great thanks I'll maybe try the burrito and egg sandwich. Do you just take it out of the freezer the night before?
  • lauraloy2013
    Options
    idioblast wrote: »
    For breakfast I have started adding whey protein to my oatmeal. It's actually pretty good, especially if I mix in some fruit too.

I've been looking at protein powder, it would be good to be able to add it to things. What else can you add it to?
    Also is it high in calories as I'm stilling trying to eat at a slight deficit?
  • joshuajdouce
    joshuajdouce Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi, had a similar situation myself. I found picking up a good protein powder makes hitting your protein goals a lot easier just for the sheer convenience of them. As others have suggested can mix it into oatmeal, pancakes or try a smoothie. In terms of breakfast i would definitely recommend switching out the cereal. I tend to have eggs in the morning quick and easy to make with some porridge which you can get in sachets now that you could take to work. Hope i have helped out a little.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Great thanks I'll maybe try the burrito and egg sandwich. Do you just take it out of the freezer the night before?
    I don't. I just take them out in the morning, wrap them in a paper tower, and stick them in the microwave at 50% power for about a minute and then full power for 30sec.
  • lauraloy2013
    Options

I don't. I just take them out in the morning, wrap them in a paper tower, and stick them in the microwave at 50% power for about a minute and then full power for 30sec.

Brilliant thanks. I'll maybe do some in bulk at weekend and start next week properly. I'll maybe just do a few hard boiled egg and put them on my toast or into salads more this week.
  • lauraloy2013
    Options
    Hi, had a similar situation myself. I found picking up a good protein powder makes hitting your protein goals a lot easier just for the sheer convenience of them. As others have suggested can mix it into oatmeal, pancakes or try a smoothie. In terms of breakfast i would definitely recommend switching out the cereal. I tend to have eggs in the morning quick and easy to make with some porridge which you can get in sachets now that you could take to work. Hope i have helped out a little.

That's that's helped. I'm deffo gonna try the protein powder and maybe the egg recipes as above. Will look into the porridge for breky too. Is there more protein in oats?
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Maybe have more fish in your diet. For me I find, eating mainly fish and lean chicken is the best way to reduce body fat, beef and lamb are very high in fat, so I only have beef once a week and lamb on special occasions only. Other things I eat for protein, is unsweetened plain yoghurt daily as a side dish, goes nice with hot curries as you like those but be mindful if you use coconut milk/crème; its very high in fat. I love my curries so I use light coconut milk. Eggs,tunas, sardines, salmon,lean chicken breast, yoghurt, cottage cheese are my main protein foods. I prefer real vs powder protein, but if you must, get one without all the bad stuff, preservatives and flavours etc. Also lean pork chop is good as well ;) Just cut down on sugars and breads, up your veggie and lean protein intake, avoid takeaways. And don't be afraid of good fats like avocado, nuts etc. moderation of course. I just try to uncomplicate my cooking, lesser, fewer ingredients, using more spices as they boost the metabolism. Anyway, hope this helps :) p.s Smoothie for breakfast instead of cereal, I agree 100%.
  • dneul
    dneul Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Carbmaster yogurt from krogers/Fred Meyers has 9g protein, 3 g carbs 60 cal. I eat 3 for breakfast many days. Carbmaster chocolate milk is also good. I eat a lot of egg beaters, quinoa and oatmeal, special k protein cereal . Cheese sticks, almonds, ground turkey in recipes instead of beef, the occasiobal protein bar (pure protein is low sugar and 20g) tuna from a pouch. I get anywhere between 90 to 150 of protein in a day without using any powder.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Every day as snacks I have a serving of both cottage cheese and plain nonfat Greek yogurt (with a little sweetener and few chunks of fruit). They give my protein a good boost in addition to eggs, powder, and meats.
  • lauraloy2013
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the advice it's great!
  • lauraloy2013
    Options
    MarlyIc1 wrote: »
    Maybe have more fish in your diet. For me I find, eating mainly fish and lean chicken is the best way to reduce body fat, beef and lamb are very high in fat, so I only have beef once a week and lamb on special occasions only. Other things I eat for protein, is unsweetened plain yoghurt daily as a side dish, goes nice with hot curries as you like those but be mindful if you use coconut milk/crème; its very high in fat. I love my curries so I use light coconut milk. Eggs,tunas, sardines, salmon,lean chicken breast, yoghurt, cottage cheese are my main protein foods. I prefer real vs powder protein, but if you must, get one without all the bad stuff, preservatives and flavours etc. Also lean pork chop is good as well ;) Just cut down on sugars and breads, up your veggie and lean protein intake, avoid takeaways. And don't be afraid of good fats like avocado, nuts etc. moderation of course. I just try to uncomplicate my cooking, lesser, fewer ingredients, using more spices as they boost the metabolism. Anyway, hope this helps :) p.s Smoothie for breakfast instead of cereal, I agree 100%.

This is fab advice! Thanks you. Yes I think having a look at more variety of fish and chicken recipes. Don't mind cutting down on beef, usually have a steak once a week but that would probably be enough. And glad about the pork chops
  • lauraloy2013
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This is fab advice! Thanks you. Yes I think having a look at more variety of fish and chicken recipes. Don't mind cutting down on beef, usually have a steak once a week but that would probably be enough. And glad about the pork chops
  • lauraloy2013
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm deffo gonna try having eggs more for breakfast. I think when I go food shopping this weekend I'll need to take a better look at protein content of foods like yogurts etc. I'll maybe this for a week or so first to see if I can get my protein up then if not I'll try the powder!
    Thanks again!!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Go to Costco and get a pack of egg whites and a gigantic bag of vanilla protein powder. Spray a ceramic pan with coconut oil. Make crepes.
    (You can fill them with nuts or fruit/preserves or cheese or fluff or whip cream...

And get bag of shredded kale, cabbage, Brussel sprouts and broccoli. Make omelets.

^^These are quick and easy and can store for a couple days.

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I too love food with protein like yogurt, cottage cheese with fruit, tuna and the little packs of tuna which are already made and ready to eat- perfect, salmon in little packs, boiled eggs which can be eaten with toast in mornings are great.
  • MarlyIc1
    Options

You are welcome darl, happy to help :) add me if you like

• MarlyIc1
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Go to Costco and get a pack of egg whites and a gigantic bag of vanilla protein powder. Spray a ceramic pan with coconut oil. Make crepes.
    (You can fill them with nuts or fruit/preserves or cheese or fluff or whip cream...

And get bag of shredded kale, cabbage, Brussel sprouts and broccoli. Make omelets.

^^These are quick and easy and can store for a couple days.

That sound delish! This reminded me of a sweet version, pancakes with eggs, banana and cinnamon..Gotta find my old recipe, been a while! Not my post I know, sowi but thanx!