Eating Before or after Runs first thing in the morning?

Options
I've started running first thing in the morning, basically wake up, have some water and go. I feel fine when I do this I run for about 20-30 mins and then when I get home I'll eat after my shower. I feel fine and feel like i'm loosing weight by doing it, but I've read mixed advice on whether you should eat before or after your run. I'm not doing any weight training, it's just pure cardio in the morning.

Replies

• lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how far and how long you are running for. I can run about 6 miles or about an hour without eating anything beforehand. Anything longer and I run out of energy and bonk. I'm sure you're fine with only doing 20-30 mins, but if you feel sluggish on your runs, try eating at least a piece of fruit or something before you run to see if that makes a difference.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It's really an individual preference. I have a cup of coffee, then am out the door. If i'm running more than 8 miles, I bring along a gel pack, but that's it.

Food seems to upset my stomach if I eat and run.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I don't know too much about running, but I just read something the other day that says eat protein only after a workout and you burn more longer and rebuild muscle easier. Sugar and/or carbs busts the workout mode. I don't know that it's true, but I run/walk 2-3 miles first thing in the morning and FEEL better on the days that I have done straight protein afterward.

Maybe just try a few things and see what feels better for your body?
  • Franticantics
    Options
    ^ hah i wish i could run 6 miles without running out of energy!

Personally I think it's down to personal preferance, If you're pushed for time it may well be better to eat when i you get back, because if you have to eat then run straight away you'll probably end up feeling quite sicky...
    But on the other hand it's not good to leave it too long in the morning before you eat...
    As i said, its all down to personal preferance. I myself like to eat before any of my classes (im in full time dance training) or any other exercise, but if you feel fine with what you're doing, i see no reason to change it!
    xx
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    20-30 minutes, so I am assuming you're doing about 3 miles... For such short runs you are probably OK.

Anything longer, and I'd suggest a protien bar and a banana beforehand.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I hate the feeling of ANYTHING in my stomach before I jog. If I'm doing a long run (for me, 60 minutes) I drink 8 oz of simply apple beforehand. But on most days where I'm running 30 or 45 minutes I just drink water and go.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I run about 3 miles. If I runs as soon as I get up I don't eat. Sometimes I run a few hours after I get up, if I do that I have a bagel thin with some laughing cow and a cup of coffee with almond milk.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've started running first thing in the morning, basically wake up, have some water and go. I feel fine when I do this I run for about 20-30 mins and then when I get home I'll eat after my shower. I feel fine and feel like i'm loosing weight by doing it, but I've read mixed advice on whether you should eat before or after your run. I'm not doing any weight training, it's just pure cardio in the morning.

Whatever works for you. If you run out of steam while running because you're hungry, then you probably should eat before you do it. Personally I'd rather workout with my stomach growling than eat just before. If I eat I'd have to wait AT LEAST an hour before I could workout without feeling sluggish. But that's just me.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long and how you feel.... If I run in the morning, I'll grab some light energy type food, maybe a banana before I go and have something more substantial later on.

I wouldn't think of running for more than 30 minutes on an empty stomach though... the energy has to come from somewhere. I'd rather it not be muscle tissue.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you are running to lose weight, empty stomach is good. You burn more fat first thing in the morning. If you are trying to improve your performance, ie speed or distance, then energy bar or a piece of fruit is the way to go. Hope that helps :)
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It really is about personal preference and how your body reacts. Everyone is different. A lot of runners can't eat anything solid before a run, but for me a bagel or oatmeal and bananas a couple hours before a race seems to work. After an intense run try consuming something with protein as soon as you can to aid muscle repair. Chocolate milk is always good.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run everything on an empty stomach (5 miles to marathons). That's what works best for me. If I'm running over 10-11 miles, I'll take a gel or some bloks after 7 or 8 miles.

Everyone needs to experiment and figure out what works best for them.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I started this new lifestyle in January -- waking up at 5AM, working out and then going on with my day. For months I didn't eat before I exercised, but on a few Saturdays when I worked out later in the morning, I noticed I was burning more calories. THe only difference I could figure was that I had eaten a bit of something on saturday mornings before those workouts.

So, now I eat a little something before I workout or run...either a small banana, a slice of WW toast or something small like this. :) I think it is all personal preference too and whatever works for your body.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Short cardio workouts (30min or less) I wait to eat. Anything longer than that or for strength training, I eat something prior.
  • tilda_g
    tilda_g Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm like you, I never eat before running in the morning. This usually seems to curb my appetite for the rest of the day too. Just do whatever works for you :)
  • Opusarlo
    Opusarlo Posts: 53
    Options
    If you get out of bed and hit the road jogging there are several things happening to your body you need to know about. First, you have been breathing and sweating all night so you are dehydrated. Secondly, your stomach is empty and all you have is the energy stored in the form of glycogen in your muscle tissue. Have you ever heard someone say you need to maintain an exercising heart rate for 20-30 minutes before you start burning fat? That is because the glycogen in your muscle is enough energy for you to run on for 20-30 mins. After that the body scramble for energy by breaking down tissues of the body in order to create the energy needed to convert fat to energy, convert pyruvic acid into glucose, or break down stored glycogen in the liver. The problem here is this phase is horribly inefficient and is more of an emergency phase for the body than an adaptive healthy one. Even so this phas can only last about 10-20 mins so you soon find yourself compeltely wasted of any sort of energy. That is when you go in the house after a run and you feel completely empty, drained, listless, and famished. Now you sit doen to breakfast and you eat...lots. Yes you did burn fat, but you abused your body in order to do it. Similarly if you go into a bank with a gun you would get a lot of money, but you have done many other things wrong and you cannot make a living that way.

Try this perspective and reject it if you like however I hope you would adopt it.

In the morning upon waking try a small glass of OJ (4-8 oz) to smooth the edges of dehydration and put some energy into your bloodstream to help kick-off the breakdown of glycogen stored in your muscles while you are running. After stretching and waking for about 30-45 mins hit the road. You will feel more energy than if you had not and your body will perform seamlessly. After 20-30 minutes of jogging you will run out of energy stored in your muscles and you body will begin to look elsewhere for energy however since you had OJ (low glycemic) you have enough free glucose in your bloodstream to fuel the breakdown of fat. Without this free glucose your body would have to expend energy in order to create energy so that you can break down fat in order to get more energy to run further. Complex, huh? Doing this will allow you to run further and therefore burn more fat. Just one little glass of OJ leaves you feeling much more refreshed after your run and not so drained/jittery/weak/cloudy or whatever you feel. This method also allows for you to sit down and eat what you had planned for breakfast because there is no crisis.

All this simply from 4-6oz of OJ.

:D