Fitbit for measuring activity at work

Options
lianachu13
lianachu13 Posts: 15 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm about to start a new job. My lifestyle at the moment is generally sedentary (aside from my specific workouts, for which I use a Polar HRM to measure burns). I'm wondering if a Fitbit would be useful to determine how many extra calories I burn on work days. The job is in retail so I'll be on my feet, if not moving around a lot, throughout my shifts.

I'm not well versed in how Fitbits work; is this something they would be useful for and, if so, which model would suit my needs best?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer me.

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Flex is good if you're not concerned with heart rate and steps climbed, and not having a screen on the device. It can be worn with different braclets (even fancy Tory Burch ones!) so if you like a variety that may be for you.

I recently upgraded my Flex to a Charge HR, and I am addicted to it. I feel it counts steps more accurately than the Flex did, and I like having the screen so I can see steps taken instead of having to log in to my phone. I find it very motivating.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It depends on a few factors: wearing it on your wrist (Flex/Charge/Charge HR/Surge) versus on your clothes (Zip/One), whether or not you want the extras (sleep tracking, stair tracking, heart rate monitor), and price (the Zip is $60, One and Flex are $100, Charge is $130, etc.). So taking the Charge HR and Surge out since you already use a HRM, that leaves you with four options.

Also to add I work retail and have worn each of the lower three for the past two years. They've all been great, but I'd be partial to go back to the one because I do a lot of hands-on things that my Flex may pick up if I'm not careful.
  • lianachu13
    Options
    Thanks for the input!

I was hoping the Charge/ChargeHR wasn't my best option simply because of the price tag. I imagine I'll be engaging in a lot of hands on activities also, which has me leaning towards the One or Zip. Although, I can't help but think; are they really so superior to a good old pedometer? Lol.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Since you already have a HRM, just go with the Zip. It's basic. The bonus to it is that it syncs to MFP and will adjust your calories. While I own the Surge, I started with the Zip (so did my husband). Recently when we go on walks I have been snagging his old Zip to count my steps (I gave mine to my mom...he uses a One now) since the Surge won't count the steps I take while pushing a stroller (which is a pain when your trying to get 10k steps for pact app). I don't know where your located but Amazon.com sometimes has the Zip for around $46 (not much of a discount, but still better than full price if you ask me).

A basic pedometer won't sync to MFP and you will have to do the math manually to figure out what is actually extra and what is already accounted for (if it even gives you a calorie burn estimate, some don't). Some of the cheap pedometers, (at least that I've owned) haven't been all that accurate either.
  • lianachu13
    Options
    Sounds like the Zip might be the winner, thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Why not just up your MFP to lightly active and see if the added calories it gives you keeps you on track.
    After a month or so at the new job you will know if the furniture is worth the investment.

Cheers, h.
  • lianachu13
    Options
    Why not just up your MFP to lightly active and see if the added calories it gives you keeps you on track.
    After a month or so at the new job you will know if the furniture is worth the investment.

Cheers, h.

That's actually a great suggestion. I guess it could see what calories MFP recommends me at a lightly active setting as opposed to sedentary and look at that as my goal on the days I'm working, see how that goes.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Haha I never noticed Fitbit had changed to furniture.
    Glad you liked the idea. If you are working full time, 35-40 hr a week, I would eat lightly active 7 days a week to begin with. You could change your goal down the road,but keep it simple to begin with, you will be able to tell if you are hitting your goal better.

Cheers, h.
  • lianachu13
    Options
    Haha I never noticed Fitbit had changed to furniture.
    Glad you liked the idea. If you are working full time, 35-40 hr a week, I would eat lightly active 7 days a week to begin with. You could change your goal down the road,but keep it simple to begin with, you will be able to tell if you are hitting your goal better.

Cheers, h.

I'm only working 4 days a week before extra shifts so I'd rather err on the side of caution. Thanks for the help!

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Or go for a Misfit only $29.99 on Amazon
    And tracks your steps/daily activity and sleep And exercises if you want.

95069916.png
  • lianachu13
    Options
    Or go for a Misfit only $29.99 on Amazon
    And tracks your steps/daily activity and sleep And exercises if you want.

I wasn't aware of them but they don't seem to be readily available in the UK, in any case.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    shame i am pretty happy with mine works well enough :)
    Also for swimming

95069916.png
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    lianachu13 wrote: »
    I'm about to start a new job. My lifestyle at the moment is generally sedentary (aside from my specific workouts, for which I use a Polar HRM to measure burns). I'm wondering if a Fitbit would be useful to determine how many extra calories I burn on work days. The job is in retail so I'll be on my feet, if not moving around a lot, throughout my shifts.

I'm not well versed in how Fitbits work; is this something they would be useful for and, if so, which model would suit my needs best?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer me.

I use a Fitbit flex for exactly what you are describing. (Except I teach)