falling down....

Options
I started on this journey a year ago this week, I'm down a definite 95.5 pounds, last week it was 100 pounds. I'm not really sure what I've done to precipitate this weight gain but I can clearly say I'm concerned. I've gone from a goal of losing and additional 5 pounds to 9.5. I set a small goal for the first time, to get to goal by Thanksgiving now I'm worried about gaining back into the next decade of weight.

I'm still doing my walking, and with the exception of 2/3 days during this process I've stayed within my calorie goals not using the calories gained from exercise. I don't know what to do, I don't want to go back to 280 pounds and for some reason leaving 180 and revisiting 184.5 pounds has me unnerved and fretting. Any suggestions for getting my head back on straight and staying the course? I'm really concerned, nothing I've said to myself over the past few days seems to be working to keepe on track....

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would do personally is look at all that weight you have lost, and realize how far you have come. You already know how to do it, but for some reason something caused to to gain slightly. Not a big deal in the overall picture, and accepting that will help you quit stressing about it so much.

Being you've already lost so much weight, I'd just keep doing what you are going and see if maybe you just missed something that caused the slight increase. I've seen my weight vary as much as 5 pounds in a day, and at times when I'm eating light and "doing everything right" my loss stalls, or I show a slight gain. But when I look at the scale most days I realize that weight fluctuations are a normal thing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! Take pictures and measurements so you have ways to see things besides the scale. :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. Just keep logging. I've also been stable for a month then "out of the blue" gained s couple of pounds. If you didn't eat an extra 3500 x 5 calories then you're good.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate based on too many factors. Time of day, nearness to when you last ate, hydration, water retention, etc.

This fluctuation can vary for everyone and can be upwards of 5 lbs. I often weigh 5 to 7lbs more in the evening than I do in the morning, for example.

Additionally, weight loss is not linear, it's usually graphed as a series of small triangles in most people.

Take a breath, think about how much you've accomplished and how much work you've put into it and trust the process. You've got this. Don't sweat the small stuff now.
  • gardnerslater
    gardnerslater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that responded. I know, intellectually, that what has been said is true, its emotionally that I am struggling. I will keep referring to your comments until I can pull it together enough to reintegrate the knowledge and my bizarre thoughts that will sabatoge me if I don't pull it together.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It happens. My current lowest weight was first recorded 8 days ago, and in that time I jumped up several pounds, then slowly came down and then stayed flat. It doesn't mean I'm not actually losing fat, it just means I'm retaining fluid. And it probably means I was dehydrated 8 days ago, since my weight that day was significantly lower than the days on either side.