How am I going to lose 100lbs!?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jake3844
    Jake3844 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think coming here is a great first step. Good luck on your journey. Keep pushing forward, and I know you'll do great. Cheering for you :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Slowly and with a very serious commitment to doing it.

It sounds easy, being on a diet for a year or two...and maybe it will be! A couple people swear that their weight loss has been really easy for them. For most of us, it's hard. Some days are harder than others and it does get easier a few months into it, but it's hard. So, you really need to be determined and committed.

But lots and lots of others have done it and you can, too. :)

Keep the 100 Pound goal, but always be working on a smaller goal, like one pound or five pounds. Have Right Now goals as well as long-term goals. I usually look at five pounds and ten pounds. I really like the ten pound goals, seeing that number change on the scale. I've seen it go through ALL the numbers now. :) Started with 250 and now in the 150s. The 5 is back and I work on a 4 again. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do it now do you can enjoy your new body for years to come. Decide WHY you want this and use that as your motivation when things get tough. Establish eating and fitness routines that work for you now then be consistent in following them. Tweak every 1-2 months as you progress. Good luck!
    SW 301
    CW 187
    GW 150
    16 months
  • jasmine3012015
    jasmine3012015 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so so much!!! You've all encouraged me and gave awesome tips!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You lose some today.
    You lose more tomorrow.
    You lose a little more the day after that.

You keep it up for a year or three ...

BAM!

You've lost 100/150 pounds, right?

Small goals.

Set the bar at, say ... 15 or 20 pounds for now. When you get there, renegotiate based on what you've learned, then set a new goal. Rinse. Repeat as necessary.

My goal is to regain that 6-pack in my profile pic. I've been on a 6-month bulk to build muscle and gain weight, now it's time to remove the fat layer and see what we've built for muscle underneath the fat.

Short-term goal (4 to 6 weeks) is to just see the top two abs again. They always come in top to bottom for me. Then 3 to 4 weeks for a 4-pack, followed by 2 or 3 weeks to expose the Full Monte Washboard again . Somewhere between 2 and 3 months to do it , but I've broken it down to easily achievable, (and here's the important part) - SHORT TERM, SMALL goals.

I never really want to focus on more than the next month to month-and-a-half. Any longer seems too far out for any real focus.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    When I started I had a huge amount to lose. I decided to not worry about how much I needed to lose and just do what I knew I needed to do to lose weight. It was just too overwhelming to think that I needed to lose more than 100 pounds. Just focusing in on each day made it much easier - did I eat well today? Did I move more than I did the day before? Taking it day to day made it manageable.

Fast forward nearly three years and I'm down 127 pounds and have been maintaining for about 18 months.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Take it a step at a time.

1. Buy a food scale and liquid measuring cups and spoons.
    2. Weigh and measure everything, and I mean everything.
    3. Set up your MFP to your preferred loss.
    4. Just log what you are eating now. This will be a good reference moving forward. You will be able to see what you eat and where you can cut back.
    5. Reduce to your calorie goal, 100-150 cals per day each week until you are at your MFP recommended calories. This is easier mentally and physically than dropping your calories suddenly.
    6. When you have your calorie counting established consider doing some exercise, both cardio and resistance work.
    7. Exercise isn't needed to lose weight.
    8. If you use the MFP data base to log your exercise, eat back 50-75%, always. (MFP overestemates calorie burns)
    9. Always eat as much as you can while losing at your calculated rate. Your body needs fuel.
    10. Make it as much fun as you can.

Cheers, h.
  • jasmine3012015
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    When I started I had a huge amount to lose. I decided to not worry about how much I needed to lose and just do what I knew I needed to do to lose weight. It was just too overwhelming to think that I needed to lose more than 100 pounds. Just focusing in on each day made it much easier - did I eat well today? Did I move more than I did the day before? Taking it day to day made it manageable.

Fast forward nearly three years and I'm down 127 pounds and have been maintaining for about 18 months.
    So encouraging! Thank you! And great job
  • jasmine3012015
    Options

4. Just log what you are eating now. This will be a good reference moving forward. You will be able to see what you eat and where you can cut back.
    5. Reduce to your calorie goal, 100-150 cals per day each week until you are at your MFP recommended calories. This is easier mentally and physically than dropping your calories suddenly.
    6. When you have your calorie counting established consider doing some exercise, both cardio and resistance work.
    8. If you use the MFP data base to log your exercise, eat back 50-75%, always. (MFP overestemates calorie burns)
    9. Always eat as much as you can while losing at your calculated rate. Your body needs fuel.

Cheers, h.

Awesome tips, thanks
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Another thing, be realistic. If you know you will not be able to eliminate carbs, sugar, meat or whatever long term don't even bother starting that way. You know what you like to eat, so find a way to fit those things in from time to time. Set yourself up to be successful from the start. [/quote]

*****************************************************************************************************************

I like this approach. It's so true. When I shed 45 lbs 10 years ago on WW, the 1st week in maintenance I ate this fabulous fried chicken...something I withheld from myself in the shedding stages. One week of maintenance become a journey to being over 80 lbs overweight. And knowing that I did not want to give up any of my comfort foods kept from taking this journey for 10 years until 24 days ago. I now know that not only can I eat but that I should have some of my favorite things while on this journey, cause it is indeed a lifestyle shift for life.

I'm so exited for you. The first 2 weeks can be a challenge because it's a shift in what you have been doing. But keep logging here everyday even if you went over for whatever reason. You will soon create a habit of just being aware of what you are eating and pretty soon that awareness will firm itself into action. You can do this, and the MFP community is here to help, if you want it.

Cheers!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Love this....gonna put it in my backpack for my journey. :wink:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    7. Exercise IS needed to stay healthy, to feel good and to age well, so do it anyhow. :)
  • jasmine3012015
    Options

Cheers, h.

Love this....gonna put it in my backpack for my journey. :wink:

Yaaaass ! Helping each other out is so amazing!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    7. Exercise IS needed to stay healthy, to feel good and to age well, so do it anyhow. :)

I was talking about losing weight not staying healthy. :)

Cheers, h.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    1 pound at a time. Figure out how much you want to lose per week .5-2lbs, set your goal to that and weigh your food and track all of your calories. I day at a time you can do it! I've lost 70lbs so far and have 30-40 more to go. It seems overwhelming at first but you can do it

Agreed.

I focused on 5 pound goals. Work on one, hit it, pat yourself on the back, look to the next. It seems overwhelming at first but you can do it. There's a folk song that goes "inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow..." Just keep that in mind and you'll be good.

That also helped me. Setting reasonable goals for each month.... I also tried to exercise early before "life happens," and prevented me. Just a routine that has now become a habit. Keeping a journal of my progress, reading success stories, and realizing I could do this!!! You definitely can do this!!
  • MsBrit2Fit
    MsBrit2Fit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice on here! The one thing I would add is to take advantage of all of the support you have on MFP. When I first started, I got a push notification saying that people who had friends on MFP lose 3 times more weight than those who don't. We're all on the same journey and it's nice to have people cheering you on, giving you advice, and motivating you to keep on going. They are the reason I worked out today! You can do it girly :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Amen!