Fitbit adjustment combined with mfp exercise values seem wrong

Options
Stop1510
Stop1510 Posts: 26 Member
How come when I add calories for exercising per the mfp app my fitbit adjustment takes away even more calories? For example, I cleaned for 5.5 hours today so mfp says I burned 1600 or so calories so why does my fitbit adjustment say -1900 and that I have already consumed 1600 too many calories. My mfp is set on sedentary and I just went ahead and and deleted the fitbit adjustment. Will this give me a fair amount of accuracy or should I adjust mfp otherwise?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    How long have you had Fitbit?
    You can always double tap the adjustment in the app to see the math behind it. If on the website there is an i next to your adjustment and clicking it brings up the math.

How many calories does Fitbit say you burned? How many did you eat?

Did you actually log the cleaning? I think MFP is a little generous with the calories burned cleaning and as such just let my Fitbit track the movement (which has proved to be fairly accurate for me).
  • Stop1510
    Options
    It says I have burned 2198 and I have eaten 2600. I have had fitbit for a couple of months. I have to say cleaning seems much more demanding if not equal to 10000 steps. Although, I would have to agree that mfp does seem overly generous with the calorie burn.

• Stop1510
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Btw. I will check out the website.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Negative calorie adjustment. It's in the settings on mfp.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I set my MFP to sedentary, connect Fitbit and let it do the adding for me unless it is something I am standing in place, like painting my house. That has given me reasonable numbers I think.
  • Stop1510
    Options
    @shadow2soul, yes I logged the cleaning.
  • Stop1510
    Options
    OK, so it helps to sync your Fitbit and not procrastinate for two days. Sorry for any confusion. After logging the cleaning and syncing I am 200 something to the positive (at least that makes better sense to me than being 1600 over my calories)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Because your fitbit is monitoring your actual movement and has your details in it

Your shouldn't log cleaning...that will be covered in your fitbit which will get more accurate over time

The only things you need to log are non step based purposeful exercise like swimming or elliptical or rowing eg stuff your pedometer won't pick up

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you log the times of your "exercise" then MFP avoids duplication by ignoring Fitbit data from that time period.
  • Stop1510
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. @rabbitjb and @oyChihuahua I really feel cleaning is purposeful exercise that fitbit doesn't pick up even though its not your typical conventional exercise. @yarwell I was wondering why mfp asked for the time, thank you
    I went and reinputted the information.
    All said and done between fitbit adjustment and logging the cleaning I earned 845 calories from exercise and that seems about right. Although if anyone looks at my diary nevermind yesterday, it was a throw away day :-(
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Stop1510 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your input. @rabbitjb and @oyChihuahua I really feel cleaning is purposeful exercise that fitbit doesn't pick up even though its not your typical conventional exercise. @yarwell I was wondering why mfp asked for the time, thank you
    I went and reinputted the information.
    All said and done between fitbit adjustment and logging the cleaning I earned 845 calories from exercise and that seems about right. Although if anyone looks at my diary nevermind yesterday, it was a throw away day :-(

Marginal difference ...but see how you go for 8 weeks, average it out and then adjust ..only your body can tell how many calories you're expending...if you're not losing at the rate you wished you will need to looks again at your logging of both food and exercise
  • LiiN26
    LiiN26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR that I have linked with MFP. I just went speed-walking and FitBit said I burned 380 cals. However, when it synced to MFP, it said I only burned 178! Anyone know why this is? It's tracking everything else perfectly except exercise/calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LiiN26 wrote: »
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR that I have linked with MFP. I just went speed-walking and FitBit said I burned 380 cals. However, when it synced to MFP, it said I only burned 178! Anyone know why this is? It's tracking everything else perfectly except exercise/calories.

It's telling you what you burned over and above your activity level (Example: I tell MFP I am "lightly active" and my exercise for the day is an hour long walk. If I haven't moved a lot yet today, for the first part of the walk, I am "earning" my general activity level, so I don't get these calories -- that would be double-counting. MFP only starts giving me extra calories when I burn above and beyond what my activity level is set for).
  • zAdventure
    zAdventure Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If that is the case then how come MFP does not make negative adjustments for days when my actual activity is far below my set activity level?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    zAdventure wrote: »
    If that is the case then how come MFP does not make negative adjustments for days when my actual activity is far below my set activity level?

have you ticked negative adjustments in your diary settings?
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Did you not do cleaning before you joined mfp? If so, why didn't all of the "exercise" help you stay in shape then? Normal day to day life is not exercise, it is normal day to day life.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Because your fitbit is monitoring your actual movement and has your details in it

Your shouldn't log cleaning...that will be covered in your fitbit which will get more accurate over time

The only things you need to log are non step based purposeful exercise like swimming or elliptical or rowing eg stuff your pedometer won't pick up

^^ this